time off for family funeral...advice please

time off for family funeral...advice please

18 posts
6 Jan 2013
Moorlane
Photographer
Moorlane
My son is attending his grandmothers funeral this Friday but his workplace have told him that he will have to take the time off as a holiday as it is not 'close family'..their words.
I find this astonishing.Heres some background
He works in a large garage as a mechanic.he did his work experience at the place 6 years ago and they kept him on because they recognised that he is a good worker.He went to college and is now qualified.
He works and he gets paid for the work he does.If he is off ill he doesn't get paid.He enjoys working there .Recently he was given a bonus to recognise him covering the absence of another worker.
The place seem to follow their own version of employment law as a general rule.There is no mileage in either my son or myself talking to them really as they have a ' hire em and fire em' approach to recruitment.Everyone seems to be dispensible.
He works hard ,he is popular and he is flexible when they want him to work extra hours ( which he is paid for).He pays his Tax and NI and gets a pay slip every month.Can I ask for your thoughts please? Thanks

Posted 7 Jan 2013
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
A harsh as it might seem if that's their stand what can he do. Sorry for you loss btw.

Posted 7 Jan 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
As above I'm afraid
Posted 7 Jan 2013
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
It's up to the employer. Even those that give compassionate leave often won't class grandparents as close-enough family to qualify.

I'm sorry for your loss. Given that your son has the family death to deal with, probably best to lay off him with respect to what his employer should/should not do.

Posted 7 Jan 2013
raven60
Photographer
raven60
Try contacting CAB, they have employment law help.
It seems though, if you rock the boat there.
They fire you.
So i guess, as your son likes working there.
Best to go with them.
And just take the time off.

Hope you all are feeling o/k.

Allan

Posted 7 Jan 2013
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
At such times as this,  sometimes things seem worse than they may ordinarily.
As far as time off on Friday is concerned,  it isn't as unusal as we might imagine for grandparents to be considered not close enough for compasionate leave.  I know quite alot of people in the same position.  Employers have to draw a line somewhere and it's quite normal for that to be for immediate family.

As to the other issues,  as Raven60 said,  probably best for your son to contact the CAB.  Employment law isn't the most clear cut and it's unlikely that anyone on these forums has a great deal of expertise in the matter.
Posted 7 Jan 2013
ziggypot
Photographer
ziggypot
What goes around comes around. Take it on the chin with a smile and don't let it eat at you or him... life's too short. Work hard and become indispensible or better still an employable asset in any garage ... don't focus on what you may think is an injustice, think about the chance they gave him for a solid future. Employers have become hardened by the less than honest employees that take advantage of their kindness using all sorts of excuses, grandma's funeral being a favorite, so they tend to just take the easy route..'you want time off, fine, but I am not paying for it'. After all, and I know this sounds hard, it's your berievment , not theirs. I am sorry for your loss
Posted 7 Jan 2013
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
Hes' got a paid job that he enjoys and occasionally recocognises extra effort. Not a boat to rock.

Am suprised at no sick pay. However the employer may have had paid sick lesve abused in the past by guys taking a "sicky".

Posted 7 Jan 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
Alan_Jay

As to the other issues,  as Raven60 said,  probably best for your son to contact the CAB.  Employment law isn't the most clear cut and it's unlikely that anyone on these forums has a great deal of expertise in the matter.

What other issues?

Posted 7 Jan 2013
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
mph

What other issues?

From the OP "He works and he gets paid for the work he does.If he is off ill he doesn't get paid.He enjoys working there .Recently he was given a bonus to recognise him covering the absence of another worker.
The place seem to follow their own version of employment law as a general rule.There is no mileage in either my son or myself talking to them really as they have a ' hire em and fire em' approach to recruitment.Everyone seems to be dispensible."
Posted 7 Jan 2013
Moorlane
Photographer
Moorlane
Thanks everyone for your kind and helpful comments.I agree-best not to rock the boat and as some of you have said there has probably been abuse in the past .Its just a shame that they didn't use a bit of discretion and goodwill ( goodness knows my son shows them a lot of that! ) I don't think my son has had more than 2 days off in 5 years so he is hardly a malingerer.Perhaps he should be a little harder with them himself as in..' I understand that you would appreciate me staying and helping with this but but I have finished work for the day now' but that would probably just be cut/nose/spite/face etc

Thanks everyone .Have a great 2013!

Posted 7 Jan 2013
Edited by Moorlane 7 Jan 2013
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
EU employment law gives a minimum 28 days paid annual leave to f/t employees.....all of which is detailed on the UK Govt website. As are the regulations regarding sick pay and time off for health reasons.

In the case of the funeral, he would have to see what his contract of employment stipulates...which by law, an employer has to provide within 11 weeks of the employee starting work.

Posted 7 Jan 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
Alan_Jay

From the OP "He works and he gets paid for the work he does.  If he is off ill he doesn't get paid.  He enjoys working there .  Recently he was given a bonus to recognise him covering the absence of another worker."

Well that seems fair to me!  Many companies do not pay sick pay and workers have to rely on Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

Alan_Jay

There is no mileage in either my son or myself talking to them really as they have a ' hire em and fire em' approach to recruitment.Everyone seems to be dispensible."

Nothing wrong with that so long as they stick to the rules!  If you get sacked unfairly that is a different matter of course.

Posted 7 Jan 2013
redgauntlet
Photographer
redgauntlet
As a Railwayman of nearly 40 years its the way of the world.
When my mum went 3 days Dad 5days as I had the funeral etc to deal with...
Grandparents and other extended family wouldn't get anything....
Compassion  none.
Sorry for your loss my condolences
Posted 7 Jan 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
When my grandmother died a few years ago I was fortunate enough to be allowed time off as compassionate leave but my employer didn't have to do it. It was just the one day though.

Posted 9 Jan 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join