Guy Models??

58 posts
2 Jan 2013
It's really rare that I see any male models on any of these sites, they're 98% female.
It's sad really because there are plenty of guys I know who would love to get into site modelling.
Why is the demand for male models much lower on these websites?

Posted 2 Jan 2013
Edited by angelique110 2 Jan 2013
barone
Photographer
barone
Because they look crap nekked.

Posted 2 Jan 2013
BrianSelway
Photographer
BrianSelway
Most of the male models I work with, I advise to make ports on 'that other site'..they get a lot more work from there, or from my contacts on fcebook than they ever do from here.

Posted 2 Jan 2013
Men don't look that good in photographs - (I have to be honest). I've only photographed a few blokes but even the better looking guys can look overly posed/unrelaxed and I struggle to get them to do anything which doesn't look gay . There are a few goodies on here though who look awesome.. I think the average female can look great in the right picture but for men I don't think its quite so easy so most people just don't bother.
Posted 2 Jan 2013
photo_phil
Photographer
photo_phil
I actively look for male models as much as female ones. Unfortunately there aren't too many to choose from that are close enough, toned or comfortable working nude.

Posted 2 Jan 2013
barone
Because they look crap nekked.
And being naked is the only success to a good model...? o.o
Posted 2 Jan 2013
Chrissie_Red
Men don't look that good in photographs - (I have to be honest). I've only photographed a few blokes but even the better looking guys can look overly posed/unrelaxed and I struggle to get them to do anything which doesn't look gay . There are a few goodies on here though who look awesome.. I think the average female can look great in the right picture but for men I don't think its quite so easy so most people just don't bother.
Yeah that's true. xD Well I've never worked as a photographer so I wouldn't know. I guess females are more versatile.
Posted 2 Jan 2013
photo_phil
I actively look for male models as much as female ones. Unfortunately there aren't too many to choose from that are close enough, toned or comfortable working nude.
Ah right. Yeah I would just like to see more male modelling just because I think it's interesting to see the different sorts of modelling males can produce. The pictures I usually see of male models are always really good on average when they do actually get shot xD
Posted 2 Jan 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
If you deduct the photographers shooting only glamour because they want to, rather than are trying to sell it, virtually all are male photographers looking for female models. There will be a few looking for male models and even fewer looking for both.

That is probably half the reason. You are unlikely to persuade any of these people to change what they shoot.

The negative way to look at it is there is little opportunity here for male models. The positive way is that there is plenty of opportunity for females.

I have seen posts from people who shoot male models complaining of their reliability and seriousness. Joel Hicks is an example of someone who has got it right. Clearly there is a demand for someone like him.

Posted 2 Jan 2013
barone
Photographer
barone
angelique110
And being naked is the only success to a good model...? o.o
"Why is the demand for male models much lower on these websites?"......yep
Posted 2 Jan 2013
barone
"Why is the demand for male models much lower on these websites?"......yep
Care to elaborate?
Posted 2 Jan 2013
Gerry99111
If you deduct the photographers shooting only glamour because they want to, rather than are trying to sell it, virtually all are male photographers looking for female models. There will be a few looking for male models and even fewer looking for both. That is probably half the reason. You are unlikely to persuade any of these people to change what they shoot. The negative way to look at it is there is little opportunity here for male models. The positive way is that there is plenty of opportunity for females. I have seen posts from people who shoot male models complaining of their reliability and seriousness. Joel Hicks is an example of someone who has got it right. Clearly there is a demand for someone like him.
Yeah and I suppose the models who ARE male and successful get much more work because they are a small target of what people want to shoot.
Posted 2 Jan 2013
BrianSelway
Photographer
BrianSelway
It'd be interesting to find out what percentage of shoots Joel gets from here, compared to less female glamour biased sites.

Posted 2 Jan 2013
BrianSelway
It'd be interesting to find out what percentage of shoots Joel gets from here, compared to less female glamour biased sites.
I don't mind the *actual* glamour for publication and actual experimentation but when I see a picture taken with auto-focus on a bed with flat lighting and the person calls themselves a photographer it makes me want to hit my head against a brick wall..
Posted 2 Jan 2013
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
angelique110

Why is the demand for male models much lower on these websites?

Because the core member ship of these type of sites is men with cameras who want to take pictures of young girls in some form of undress. (nothing wrong with that if they're honest about it)
Posted 3 Jan 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join