RIP Gerry Anderson

RIP Gerry Anderson

13 posts
26 Dec 2012
landmproductions
Photographer
landmproductions
A true talent, a great visionary and creative genius. RIP Gerry. Captain Scarlett, Joe 90, the Tracy family will all be in mourning today

Posted 26 Dec 2012
RIP Gerry , I will be watching Joe 90 later
Posted 26 Dec 2012
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
RIP Gerry, your vision gave me a great childhood.
Thank you Gerry.

Posted 26 Dec 2012
pontius584
Photographer
pontius584
Fireball XL5 was my favourite. RIP Gerry, a true visionary and genius

Posted 26 Dec 2012
Posted 26 Dec 2012
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
My favourite character.

Dave
Posted 26 Dec 2012
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Posted 26 Dec 2012
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Posted 26 Dec 2012
gazcoop
Photographer
gazcoop
R.I.P. this man was a GOD to me as a kid , way way ahead of his time
Posted 26 Dec 2012
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Loved all his stuff. Didn't have a telly when four feather falls was on but remember Supercar & Fireball XL5 clearly. Thunderbirds ruled. R.I.P. Gerry.

Posted 27 Dec 2012
jaejay
Photographer
jaejay
Every one seems to forget about the two shows he did before "Four Feather Falls". That was "Twizzle" and "Torchy the Battery Boy"

Posted 27 Dec 2012
Edited by jaejay 27 Dec 2012
FastEddie
Photographer
FastEddie
I remember all of his work and Twizzle, Torchy and Four Feather Falls were some of the first programes I watched before the sci fi element appeared and I was always a big fan of all his work. I even bought TV 21st Century comic every week. Wish I still had them as they're collectors items now.
We must have been made of much tougher stuff as kids in those days though as anyone who sees clips of Torchy find the characters to be rather scary and grotesque. Can't say I ever noticed in those days though.  I couldn't see any programe maker supporting and idea where a lonely old man makes his own little boy these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0P3VnwAOXDQ
Posted 28 Dec 2012
Edited by FastEddie 28 Dec 2012
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Twizzle (I still have the book) and Torchy were oft-repeated in the early to mid sixties before the Supermarionation series took off. Torchy was even repeated in the 1970's.

Some of the themes that Gerry Anderson incorporated into his more famous series were well ahead of their time, even though all of the series (except Joe 90 set in 2012) are still even now set in the future - he touched on deforestation, genetic modifications, exploitation of resources, misuse of nuclear power whilst the Americans were still having wet dreams about Commies in all their Sci-Fi programmes.

Posted 29 Dec 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join