Public Consultation

Public Consultation

2 posts
23 Dec 2012
Hi All

It is not just me but the public who have this success.  (I am claiming it all for me though.)

Photographers are always complaining that they are not allowed so shoot in public, being harrassed by the staff of places for shooting etc.  All would agree that on private property it is the owners right to say whether it is allowed to shoot or not.  

The same is true on land owned by Public Bodies.  They own the land on behalf of the public.  Thus it is no longer oublic land.

Anyway Glasgow Subway has had a byelaw that makes it illegal to photograph without  a licence on the subway since 1980.

Now for private photographers this restriction is being removed from the 2013 bye laws.

I got an email a couple of weeks ago confirming it. 

Dear Sir/Madam

Response to Consultation – Proposed New Glasgow Subway Byelaws

Thank you again for your comments on the proposed new byelaws.

Having considered all the responses to the consultation and taking into account (i) the surveillance and security measures now in place and (ii) the increase in number of mobile devices with cameras, SPT has agreed that the prohibition on filming and photography within the Subway should be removed from the proposed new byelaws.

The Conditions of Carriage relating to Subway travel will also make it clear that sensible photography is welcomed on Subway trains and in station. A full guide to SPT Subway filming and photography is available on SPT’s website.

On behalf of SPT I would again thank you for taking the time to respond to the public consultation.

Yours sincerely,

Below is a link to the bye laws document.

http://www.spt.co.uk/documents/latest/rtp041212.pdf

Whilst I know there was more than just my response I have decided that I am responsible for the change in policy.

Remember with public bodies, use of legal instruments such as consultations will make them think about what they are doing and whether the rules they have are up to date.

David
Posted 23 Dec 2012
Edited by pinkbuildingphotography 23 Dec 2012
http://www.spt.co.uk/documents/latest/rtp041212.pdf

Here are the relevent paragraphs from the bye laws documents

3. Outline of proposed new byelaws
3.1 The byelaws are written in plain English in a form which would be suitable for display
in Subway stations and publication on SPT’s website.
3.2 Offences under existing legislation e.g. drug dealing, smoking in public places etc. are
not explicitly replicated in the byelaws.

3.3 Following consideration of the consultation responses and taking into account (i) the
surveillance and security measures now in place and (ii) the increase in numbers of
mobile devices with cameras, it was agreed that the filming and photography
provision should be removed from the draft byelaws and appropriate conditions
included in the conditions of travel.

3.4 A number of other minor amendments were made to the draft byelaws in response to
matters raised by respondents e.g. it was clarified that the buying and swapping of old
Subway tickets is not covered by the byelaws.

Photography
Sensible photography is welcomed on SPT’s subway trains and in stations.
Passengers can take photographs with small cameras/mobile phones for private
purposes provided they adhere to the following guidance:
- Pictures taken cannot be sold or used for commercial purposes.
- No obstruction or inconvenience is caused to staff and/or passengers.
- Photographs cannot be taken of security related equipment such as CCTV cameras.
- Flash photography is not allowed at any time.
- Tripods and ladders are not allowed.
Operational requirements may, at any time, lead to SPT staff requiring passengers to
stop taking photographs.
Prior consent is required for commercial filming and photography and for student
filming/photography projects. A full guide to SPT Subway filming and photography is
available at www.spt.co.uk.

Posted 23 Dec 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join