What do you say when...

What do you say when...

23 posts
19 Dec 2012
Hi models, I am looking for some advice and would like to know what you think and if you have ever been in a similar situation. What do you do/say when a photographer contacts you asking to do a shoot, but you look at their pics and they're very poor quality? This recently happened to me, and I responded politely and said that the style of his portfolio wasn't inkeeping with the style of mine, but thanked him for the interest. Of course it's always good to get offers and I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything, but this person won't take no for an answer. I don't know what to do or say to make them get the hint without coming across as blunt or rude! Has this ever happened to you? What would you say? Your help is appreciated!
Posted 19 Dec 2012
photo_phil
Photographer
photo_phil
I think you've done the right thing by politely declining, but if he won't leave you alone then the blunt route may be your only option.

Posted 19 Dec 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
CarolineAlexander

...but this person won't take no for an answer. I don't know what to do or say to make them get the hint without coming across as blunt or rude!

Just go to the last PM he sent you and click on the link 'Block this user'. Problem solved.
Posted 19 Dec 2012
Edited by mgphotomedia 19 Dec 2012
barone
Photographer
barone
Link him to this post....
Posted 19 Dec 2012
Edited by barone 19 Dec 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
barone

Link him to this post....

+1 cheeky
Posted 19 Dec 2012
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
You have to be honest but of course polite.

Posted 19 Dec 2012
TMG
Photographer
TMG

If he won't take a polite no for an answer, then telling him to piss off is perfectly acceptable.

Posted 19 Dec 2012
lazeeboy
Photographer
lazeeboy
You haven't got the hang of this internet modelling malarkey. Once you sign up, you are obliged to do a TFP shoot with all the local togs within an 80 mile radius. To be successful it's best to shoot to at least topless levels. In return, they will supply you with 2000 poorly lit, out of focus, orangey snaps on a cd for you to use. Most will have a huge copyright mark or 1980's designed logo covering most of the pics. You mustn't try and remove this. Most togs will give you lots of advice about how much you can charge once you get going but you must carry on shooting with him on a tfp basis. Best of luck
Posted 19 Dec 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
As per all of the above! Worry not. . Was it paid by the way - not that it really makes a difference. You can choose who you want to work with.
Posted 19 Dec 2012
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
"Feck off, you're crap" usually works.

Posted 19 Dec 2012
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
I guess this was a TF* shoot?

If so then state what you already have, but add that you would gladly do a paid shoot with him and state your rates.
Usually the mention of money has them running and hiding, if not then you may get a paid gig out of it.

Posted 19 Dec 2012
Jack_Russell
Photographer
Jack_Russell
You should be equally as discerning as a photographer should be in selecting a model...
Posted 20 Dec 2012
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
If they wont take no for an answer - imagine agreeing to a shoot and they start level pushing.

Only two answers - block or if you think that is unkind, ignore any further emails - responding is giving them a hook whereby they think you will eventually cave in. They have become a nuisance

Posted 20 Dec 2012
Thanks so much for all your responses, it's been very helpful. He didn't say whether it was paid or TF, so I couldn't decline for that reason either. I don't want to work with a crap photographer who's offering to pay just for the sake of getting money - I'd much rather do TF with a really good photographer and get decent images that I can use. He seems to have got the hint now anyway! Would still like to hear from more models on this subject - anyone every been in a similar boat and what did you do? Thanks guys!
Posted 20 Dec 2012
Brian_Markie
Photographer
Brian_Markie
Or you could simply put it this way and think that if his folio is crap he may be starting out and trying to improve. So if all models told him to do one how will he or she ever improve? Tell him you'll do it but the fee has to be worth you attending. And maybe just maybe he or she may just learn something that was going wrong in the 1st place. After all we all had to start somewehere and not everyone likes joing photographic clubs etc, and not everyone can learn from reading an article or book etc.

Posted 20 Dec 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join