(Soapbox Thread)">It's official... it's all the cow's fault!

It's official... it's all the cow's fault! (Soapbox Thread)

63 posts
11 Dec 2012
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm

[ Admin Warning - Soapbox Thread ]

There you go... it's not cars which is the problem...it's the farmers and their ruddy cows which are the biggest threat to the planet!

I read somewhere that this government is giving £15 million to a South American project to investigate cow's farting issues!  I wonder if the government will now reduce green taxes seeing as how it's not all the motorist's fault?

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/cow-emissions-more-damaging-to-planet-than-co2-from-cars-427843.html

Posted 11 Dec 2012
Edited by WebModerator 13 Dec 2012
jes
Model
jes
This is old news...and another reason why I don't eat meat.

Posted 11 Dec 2012
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
jes

If they've known about it for so long...then why have they been slapping hefty green taxes on motorists and air travellers etc over past few years?

Posted 11 Dec 2012
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
tonycsm

If they've known about it for so long...then why have they been slapping hefty green taxes on motorists and air travellers etc over past few years?

Because it's an easy tax to sell, being a greenie is trendy, so you don't mind paying more tax because you feel good (and morally superior) about 'saving the planet'.

You also get a double whammy because the self same morally superior greenies will shout down and try and silence any deviation from the accepted way. Anyone who dares question the scientific theory this taxation is based on gets set upon.
Posted 11 Dec 2012
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
PeterH

Because it's an easy tax to sell, being a greenie is trendy, so you don't mind paying more tax because you feel good (and morally superior) about 'saving the planet'.

You also get a double whammy because the self same morally superior greenies will shout down and try and silence any deviation from the accepted way. Anyone who dares question the scientific theory this taxation is based on gets set upon.

Absolutely correct Peter!
I've never subscribed to the Anthropogenic causation of global warming ( I note they've now changed it mostly to Climate Change) but as soon as I or others like me who have reasonably sufficient knowledge to question this assumption, we are immedaitely set upon and viewed as heretics. It seems that Global Warming is now the new religion.

This 'Tube video for me says it all.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhu3ESXvGR4&feature=related

Posted 11 Dec 2012
digineil
Photographer
digineil
jes

Same here and dairy products as well cheeky
Posted 11 Dec 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
jes

and another reason why I don't eat meat.

Make you fart?
Posted 11 Dec 2012
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
tonycsm
Absolutely correct Peter! I've never subscribed to the Anthropogenic causation of global warming ( I note they've now changed it mostly to Climate Change) but as soon as I or others like me who have reasonably sufficient knowledge to question this assumption, we are immedaitely set upon and viewed as heretics. It seems that Global Warming is now the new religion. This 'Tube video for me says it all..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhu3ESXvGR4&feature=related
Do you believe the earth is flat too ? Deny the existence of gravity ? Or have shares in an oil company ? No credible scientists doubt climate change. But of course you have a right to be ignorant and believe the Oil companies' fairy stories.
Posted 11 Dec 2012
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
stolenfaces

Do you believe the earth is flat too ? Deny the existence of gravity ? Or have shares in an oil company ? No credible scientists doubt climate change. But of course you have a right to be ignorant and believe the Oil companies' fairy stories.

QED (Unlike MMGW)
Posted 11 Dec 2012
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
stolenfaces

No but there again, perhaps I have sufficient scientific education and experience of studying the subject in depth to hold informed and valid views . Do you?

As for no credible scientists doubting climate change, at least on this you are right... climate has never been a constant so that is a non-starter as an argument and no one is challenging that view BUT, many eminent and credible scientists strongly dispute the view that global warming/climate change, whatever you wish to call it is anthropomorphic in origin and there is plenty of evidence available out there to support this view!

As for my ignorance...you might for starters, want to do some research into the University of East Anglia and the cover-up regarding their admission of manipulating the figures which the IPCC uses.....you're of course very welcome to argue the facts openly on this forum where we can determine who is most ignorant of the facts! I'll leave that up to you!

Posted 11 Dec 2012
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
Can you tax a cow? I bet some one is thinking about doing it!

Posted 11 Dec 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
stolenfaces

No credible scientists doubt climate change.

In June 2009, the first full Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change report was published by The Heartland Institute. It is titled Climate Change Reconsidered: The 2009 Report of the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change (NIPCC).

The new report, some 880 pages in length, is the most comprehensive critique of the IPCC's positions ever published. It lists 35 contributors and reviewers from 14 countries and presents in an appendix the names of 31,478* American scientists who have signed a petition saying "there is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate."

* All of whom are presumably "incredible"? 

Posted 11 Dec 2012
Edited by mph 11 Dec 2012
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
mph

In June 2009, the first full Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change report was published by The Heartland Institute. It is titled Climate Change Reconsidered: The 2009 Report of the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change (NIPCC).

The new report, some 880 pages in length, is the most comprehensive critique of the IPCC's positions ever published. It lists 35 contributors and reviewers from 14 countries and presents in an appendix the names of 31,478* American scientists who have signed a petition saying "there is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate."

* All of whom are presumably "incredible"? 

I wonder if the opinion of a Nobel Scientist is credible enough for our learned friend?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVWuEgR8IxE&feature=related

Posted 11 Dec 2012
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Most of the problem is ruminants (includes sheep) belching rather than farting.

But don't blame it all on the carnivores. Ruminants produce about 80 million tonnes of Methane per year. Rice production produces between 50 and 100 million tonnes per year. Figures for rice growing are miuch more difficult to establish since growing conditions vary so much.

Posted 12 Dec 2012
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Jeremy Clarkson has been blaming the cows for years, seems he is right?

Posted 12 Dec 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join