What is this about

What is this about

13 posts
5 Dec 2012
diipii
Photographer
diipii
Wanted 3 sheets of 10mm glass 270mm x 230mm so got prices from 2 local suppliers.

First price was £6 + vat per sheet available within one hour.

Second price £45 + vat per sheet available 4-6 weeks.

These prices for exactly the same product.

????????????????????

Posted 5 Dec 2012
paulford
Photographer
paulford
The 4-6 waiting time probably got you a fresher product the other might have been near its sell by date!

Posted 5 Dec 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
The first one had them in stock

The second one didn't and it would be a custom order
Posted 5 Dec 2012
Edited by RedChecker 5 Dec 2012
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
diipii

Wanted 3 sheets of 10mm glass 270mm x 230mm so got prices from 2 local suppliers. First price was £6 + vat per sheet

This is what I paid roughly when I built a Aquarium last year, I used 10mm glass for that
Posted 5 Dec 2012
I have two local photography shops..

The internet will sell something for £5
Shop A will want £50
Shop B will want £100

Its amazing either of them are still in business!

Posted 5 Dec 2012
ph_oto
Photographer
ph_oto
paulford

The 4-6 waiting time probably got you a fresher product the other might have been near its sell by date!

???????? For GLASS.

Posted 6 Dec 2012
ph_oto
Photographer
ph_oto
People who sell glass usually just cut to customers sizes as normal practice. The only standard pre-cut size most will stock is the 24" X 24" sheets for Greenhouses.

The one asking £45/sheet obviously didn't want your business.

Posted 6 Dec 2012
paulford
Photographer
paulford
ph_oto
???????? For GLASS.
Was supposed to be a joke, like the more expensive quote, Obviosly was too much like hard work cutting somthing to a none standard size.
Posted 6 Dec 2012
Chrissie_Red

I have two local photography shops.. The internet will sell something for £5 Shop A will want £50 Shop B will want £100 Its amazing either of them are still in business!

I have one local photography shop.

Camera £150 in shop.

On their website

Camera, Camera Bag and memory card £125 online but can be picked up instore (The same store that is costing more for the camera in the first pleace).  Sometimes within 1 hour if it is stock.

Posted 6 Dec 2012
Edited by pinkbuildingphotography 6 Dec 2012
paulford
Photographer
paulford
pinkbuildingphotography
I have one local photography shop. Camera £150 in shop. On their website Camera, Camera Bag and memory card £125 online but can be picked up instore (The same store that is costing more for the camera in the first pleace).  Sometimes within 1 hour if it is stock.
Jessops? If so you can go into the shop and get them to order it on line in the shop, And pay the "special internet price" done it myself, crazy int it?
Posted 6 Dec 2012
Edited by paulford 6 Dec 2012
paulford

Jessops? If so you can go into the shop and get them to order it on line in the shop, And pay the "special internet price" done it myself, crazy int it?

Yup done that myself too.
Posted 6 Dec 2012
ph_oto
Photographer
ph_oto
paulford

Was supposed to be a joke, like the more expensive quote, Obviosly was too much like hard work cutting somthing to a none standard size.

There isn't such a thing as a "standard size"  in glass cutting  and YES  it sure was a Joke... smileysmileycheeky

Posted 6 Dec 2012
BenwellHopper
Photographer
BenwellHopper
Just cut your own or make your darkslides to the standard sizes, Though 10mm seems a bit thick for the average plate....

Posted 7 Dec 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join