First real snow of winter!!!

First real snow of winter!!!

19 posts
5 Dec 2012
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
Looks like winter has finally arrived here in my part of East yorkshire - been snowing on and off this morning and now it's blowing a right blizzard and covering everything and the weather forecast doesn't look too promising !

Anyone else on the East Coast suffering or is it just local to me?
Posted 5 Dec 2012
matt
Photographer
matt
It snowed very lightly in Brighton this morning but didn't settle, I think there's worse to come though

Posted 5 Dec 2012
Lisaliz
Model
Lisaliz
In Southend there was an inch during rush hour, which caused utter havoc. A ten minute journey took an hour and a half.

It was awfully pretty when the sun came out though.

My day in a studio in Suffolk was called off, so I'm catching up on the housework. (Or ought to be!)

Posted 5 Dec 2012
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
Lisaliz

In Southend there was an inch during rush hour, which caused utter havoc. A ten minute journey took an hour and a half. It was awfully pretty when the sun came out though. My day in a studio in Suffolk was called off, so I'm catching up on the housework. (Or ought to be!)

An inch of snow and it caused havoc?????

Crikey...I don't what it would be like if they got the amount of snow we usually get up in the North!
Posted 5 Dec 2012
Edited by tonycsm 5 Dec 2012
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
We had 2" of snow on Friday night, not nearly enough to have fun in.

On Friday morning, I set off to work at 5:30 am with -5 centigrade on the thermometer. 
Posted 5 Dec 2012
N_A_Photography
Photographer
N_A_Photography
Blazing sunshine in Norwich
Posted 5 Dec 2012
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
gerryquiff

We had 2" of snow on Friday night, not nearly enough to have fun in.

On Friday morning, I set off to work at 5:30 am with -5 centigrade on the thermometer. 

A mere trifle Gerry!wink

A few years ago, I used to visit Russia quite regularly ( near Siberia ) and the typical Soviet blocks of flats all had balconies - all occupants fitted thermometers on the them so that they could look out of their window and check the temperature to see what to wear that day and the thermometers went down to - 50 centigrade on the scale!!!

Apparently, once when I was there during winter, they were telling me it was quite a mild winter because it was only down to around -25 to -27 C in January!!!
The one thing I liked about that country was the state approach to home heating/energy - all the housing blocks were heated by one central unit in the block which kicked in as soon as the temperature fell to or below 8 deg C for 3 nights in a row ( usually late September when the first snows arrived) ...after which the heating stayed on 24/7 until springtime and only cost the occupants a pittance! Of course wages weren't high but at least they were warm!
Posted 5 Dec 2012
AmyC_01
Model
AmyC_01
Send the snow to West Yorkshie!!!! xx

Posted 5 Dec 2012
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
AmyC_01

Send the snow to West Yorkshie!!!! xx

It's eased off now but it was coming from your direction earlier.. However, I don't think it will be too long before it will in your area!frown

Posted 5 Dec 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
Blazing sunshine in Cheshire too!
Posted 5 Dec 2012
N_A_Photography
Photographer
N_A_Photography
N_A_Photography
Blazing sunshine in Norwich
Take it back it's now snowing feck sake
Posted 5 Dec 2012
Nearly always milder in Cornwall...gorgeous sunshine on beach this morning...cool
Posted 5 Dec 2012
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Weather experts are now predicting the coldest winter in 100 yrs......coming to a place near you sometime very soon...
Posted 5 Dec 2012
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
We had snow here in Christchurch NZ in May. I got up at 4am and it was raining, went back to bed, got up again at 6:30 and there was 100mm of snow....For a pom and my first year out here that was stunning, in less than 2hrs a total change. Nobody got the day off, we all went to work as normal, most people drive 4X4's here and the speed limit is low. What a place.........
Posted 5 Dec 2012
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
Well I've just driven on some of the worst roads with regard to ice that I've ever seen in early December! Everyone is driving at a snail's pace and I dread to think what it will be like in the morning for commuters like my partner who has to drive 17 miles each way across some of the windiest roads in the country, just to get to her work!

So much for Global Warming huh!
Posted 5 Dec 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join