[ Chaperones, Again] ">Is this a professional attitude? [ Chap...

Is this a professional attitude? [ Chaperones, Again]

It seems this conversation has now been locked
11 posts
3 Dec 2012
chris075
Photographer
chris075
While browsing through the site I ended up on another photographers website and thought I'd see what the competition was offering potential models and I noticed this statement 'I don't work with chaperones* ...'. Is this really a professional attitude, especially considering this photographer is actively looking for first time models!

PS I will not name this photographer, but this person is a member of Purestorm.

* Selective quote which effectively identified a local competitor deleted by moderators.
Posted 3 Dec 2012
Edited by WebModerator 3 Dec 2012
yup its fairly common, a bit shitty if they are specifically aiming to shoot new models.
Didn't you know photographers are much more vulnerable than 18 year old girls.
Each to their own I guess. I never took chaperones with me when I started out but I probably wouldn't have worked with somebody who point blank refused or made a statement about it.

Posted 3 Dec 2012
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
chris075

While browsing through the site I ended up on another photographers website and thought I'd see what the competition was offering potential models and I noticed this statement 'I don't work with chaperones ...'. Is this really a professional attitude, especially considering this photographer is actively looking for first time models! PS I will not name this photographer, but this person is a member of Purestorm.

He is only a semi professional, rather than a professional, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted 3 Dec 2012
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
We havnt had a chaperone thread for a while - anyway, people are at liberty to put what they want - being blunt may put off models who were not intending to take one anyway so their honesty may cost them the odd booking which is their cross to bear.

You can come up with any reason why a chaperone may not be wanted - for example, I have heard of photographers being robbed or ganged up on. Or the jealous boyfriend leering and making fun of his girlfriend is hardly conducive to a relaxed and decent shoot.

Anyway - what is a chaperone?

Posted 3 Dec 2012
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
I make a statement about it on my website, the model may as well decide after the first email she doesn't want to work with me due to her requirement of a bodyguard, than after days of email tennis, discussing everything required, only to discover the shoot breaks down on the entourage point.

Get it out of the way up front.
Posted 3 Dec 2012
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
I also seem to recall this may have come up once before about 10 months ago - I think this is the link:

http://www.purestorm.com/forum/readThread.aspx?id=146778
Posted 3 Dec 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
Gerry99111

I also seem to recall this may have come up once before about 10 months ago - I think this is the link:

http://www.purestorm.com/forum/readThread.aspx?id=146778

surprise

Posted 3 Dec 2012
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
I see that your local competition also says...

Quote which revealed identity removed by Moderators.

Seems quite clear and reasonable to me.

By the way, I'm not sure if you intended to identify him, but when you quote exactly from a website, it's easy to find it just by putting the quote into Google...
Posted 3 Dec 2012
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
This is what I say, by the way...

"Chaperones:

Never had one when shooting nudes in deserted places round the world. Not going to start now.
Have a look at my references here, and the Tags on my MM portfolio ( http://www.modelmayhem.com/367780 ). Talk to a couple of people who've shot with me."

Posted 3 Dec 2012
1919_Images
Photographer
1919_Images
Yes it all sounds professional to me especially when you add in the bit you missed that Hugh has quoted, model knows the terms up front and is free to decide whether to work with photographer or not.

Posted 3 Dec 2012
 Locked - if truly interested in the Chaperone debate just peruse these topics.
~§~ Chaperones / Macaroons ~§~
Posted 3 Dec 2012
It seems this conversation has now been locked