advice to get more out of my career ???

advice to get more out of my career ???

18 posts
22 Nov 2012
i have a photo shoot tuesday excited but what else can i do to get more work? wether it be paid or snydicate so i can get publication am 24 now and feel ive hardly done anything with my modelling apart from odd bits here and there advice welcome from models and togs thank you <3
Posted 22 Nov 2012
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Start contributing on the forums, where members will probably look at your portfolio.

Put up a casting call. It will have to be TFCD/TCP as you currently have a free account.

Pay £2.99 per month and you can post castings for paid work. (PLUS ALL the other features that arrive when you upgrade smiley)

Posted 22 Nov 2012
Edited by gerryquiff 22 Nov 2012
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
Add a decent headshot to your portfolio.

Try some different looks - not just cheesy glamour.

Try some different hair styles.

Try some different expressions.

Perhaps add a nude or topless shot to your portfolio (if you want nude or topless bookings).

Contact some local photographers. On the whole, we're a friendly bunch.

Speak to local models. Find out all the gossip. Find out who has work going.

And as Gerry said, contribute to the forums. Get yourself noticed.

Good luck
Dave
Posted 22 Nov 2012
Edited by Crippen 22 Nov 2012
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Try putting some bigger size images on your port - most are tiny in size and make you look like a newbie. You need your port to make you look like an established model - have a look at others ports that are getting regular work and in the areas you want to shoot.

You should get more interest then - also as has been said above - market yourself and when you have updated your port, consider upgrading so you can put up paid castings

Posted 22 Nov 2012
i post for work 2 -3 times a week i get about 4 paid shoots but be picky who you are working with ask them if they have twitter and if so add them i find face book is good as well hope this helps
Posted 22 Nov 2012
Never heard of twitter being a good place for sourcing work, I generally only accept bookings on purestorm or another reputable website and ensue all communications have been conducted via the site incase of any mishaps or foul play.

Posted 23 Nov 2012
Chrissie_Red

I generally only accept bookings on purestorm or another reputable website and ensue all communications have been conducted via the site incase of any mishaps or foul play.

This is sage advice. Many of the biggest problems our model members raise concern shoots
generated through Social Networking  or Open Door / Anything Goes websites where often the
model may not be dealing with a genuine person or even the person she believes them to be.
No site can guarantee 100% safety but there is usually more security on heavily managed sites
where the moderators are more able to verify and take action against serious problem users

Posted 23 Nov 2012
Edited by Love 23 Nov 2012
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
Some good advice already.
I suggest you revamp your profile completely.  It has very little in it at present to attract photographers.  
You only have two reasonably sized images,  the others are too small to be of any use.  
The text looks like it was done on a mobile phone and uploaded.  Nothing wrong per se,  but it doesn't 'read' very well and so doesn't help your cause.  You say you've been in Nuts,  then later say you want to appear in Nuts.  
Some of the comments have the potential to put some photographers off.  Think about what you want to say and then how best to say it.   e.g. You say that 'you know alot about modelling'.  This I suspect means that you have experience,  yet could be interpreted as you know it all.

Have a look at some other profiles, then yours and think about it from a photographer's perspective,  do you sell yourself or just have a profile?
A model profile is your 'shop window',  it needs to be attractive, answer all, or at least most, of the common questions and it needs to show you off at your best.

The text is your opportunity to give details about yourself and  show that you are really interested and enthusiastic about the work you do.

The images are your way of showing what you look like of course,  but also what you can do and how well you can do it.
By using the tiny images you are a. wasting your allowance and b. sublimally suggesting that you are not very good.  That is,  they may be seen as a way of hiding bad details which would be noticed in normal sized images.

Paying to upgrade membership is always one of those chicken and egg situations,  I'd suggest that you try it for a few months and you will likely see that it is worth it.  Do it monthly to start and you can alwasy stop if it doesn't work out.

Before you advertise,  be sure that you have a really good, strong portfolio.  
Posted 23 Nov 2012
andy_h
Photographer
andy_h
Gerry99111

Try putting some bigger size images on your port

I was just looking at your portfolio (OP) and thought the same as this
Posted 24 Nov 2012
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
Try replying to those photographers (me),that offer you paid shoots. Even to say no thank you, too far away, not my style, or whatever. You may well get that paid shoot, some better pictures and a reference on your page.

Posted 24 Nov 2012
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Spend a day on here, go through the Recent Images and when you see a picture of the style you like, look who took it. If it is a model, you can usually see who took it, either by a link on the picture or seeing who she has recently worked with. By looking at the photographer's portfolio, you can usually see if they have been published.
Once you have found a few photographers producing what you like, contact them, asking or even begging for a shoot, you can offer TF or syndication, but be sure if you do syndication, that you have a signed agreement saying you will be paid if any of the pictures sell. Most photographers find it hard turning down a pretty face and a nice body.
You might get a knock-back or two, but that's life, just move on to the next one.

Also, do a photographer search, the paid members will come up first and generally speaking, the ones most suited to what you are looking for will be paid members.

It is also the case that those who have had their images published, already have contact with someone who gets them published, be that an agent or someone working at the publication. There are lots of photographers on here producing pictures far better than you might see in the rags, but they either don't bother or can't get to someone that matters.

Posted 24 Nov 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
mattharper

Once you have found a few photographers producing what you like, contact them, asking or even begging for a shoot, you can offer TF or syndication, but be sure if you do syndication, that you have a signed agreement saying you will be paid if any of the pictures sell. 

And before you do - make sure you read their profile so you know the way they work.  Makinhg clear that you have done this is a good idea - as is referring to the images you like so they don't think you have just spammed the whole world!
Posted 24 Nov 2012
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
mph

And before you do - make sure you read their profile so you know the way they work.  Makinhg clear that you have done this is a good idea - as is referring to the images you like so they don't think you have just spammed the whole world!

Excellent point, there is nothing worse than getting a message you know has been copied and pasted to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Posted 24 Nov 2012
barone
Photographer
barone
Good advice from all.....From me....Start again, look at the folios of models you like & up your game...
Posted 24 Nov 2012
ph_oto
Photographer
ph_oto
barone

Good advice from all.....From me....Start again, look at the folios of models you like & up your game...

cheeky

Posted 24 Nov 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join