I want to get signed

18 posts
18 Nov 2012
I know I've only been modelling 4/5 months but I'm really enjoying it and would love to work for a agency/clothes company. I'm thinking of taking a gap year next year, so is it best to start applying now? I already got rejected from an agency. So a couple of questions: Am I too short to be signed? I'm 5ft 6. I know most agencies require a 5ft8/9 model minimum. Am I too overweight to be signed? Also is my look appropriate? Any models signed with any agencies who are short themselves? Thanks for reading.
Posted 18 Nov 2012
barone
Photographer
barone
I'm guessing the shorter models, with the right looks, get signed to the glamour agencies.

Which agency turned you down?

Posted 18 Nov 2012
barone
I'm guessing the shorter models, with the right looks, get signed to the glamour agencies. Which agency turned you down?
MOT model :/
Posted 18 Nov 2012
I'm sure there will be a host of shorter models coming on telling you they are signed - but failing to mention they are signed to some crap agency which gets them no work at all. If I were you I would study all the types of agency and who is on their books/what their stats are. If being signed is something you really want then I suggest you just go for it, you have nothing to loose. My friend Rachael lyon (no longer on this site) basically put together a portfolio and physically visited all the big London agencies one day - she knew where she stood after it.

I say just go all in, waste no time. Ask for their honest opinions on you as a model, you never know they may be able to suggested simple things such as hairstyle or colour which you can change to make yourself more saleable.

x
Posted 18 Nov 2012
Edited by Chrissie_Red 18 Nov 2012
angelique110
MOT model :/
I got turned down by those too! booo im 5 ft 6 too and find that its much more difficult to get signed, unless you want to go down the glamour route. Looking at your stats and pictures, you do have the right physique for glamour. Like Chrissy has said, the majority of fashion/commerical agencies which take on people under 5 ft 8/9 are usually the ones with no work. Sometimes it isnt always the case but it is pretty rare. I know its frustrating, I'm trying to get signed too. Good luck x
Posted 18 Nov 2012
i only grew an extra inch in the last year (thought i was done with random growth spurts lol, but my feet seem to be on the grow as well which sucks because there already massive) but before that i was 5 ft 7 and i got signed to FRESH but got no work from them at all, i think most agencies will be like that for shorter girls that go seeking, ive heard of many girls signed but know very few who get work

Posted 18 Nov 2012
Hi, I am new to this and I am asking the best way to get in to the industry? I have not had any 'serious' professional photo's taken, but I am planning for one in the next few weeks. I am 5'7 size 8. Any ideas? Also, which are the best company's to try and sign with? I have a list of few in London if anyone is interested?
Posted 18 Nov 2012
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Commercial agencies want models to be "perfect" but realistic interpretations of the type of people their clients want to sell products to.

There are many "agencies" who will sign just about any model, but as others have pointed out, you may as well sign a random piece of A4 and use it as a paper dart, for all the good most of these agencys will do you. I think many thrive on the desperation of certain models to be able to be able say they are "agency signed", regardless of how "mickey mouse" the agency is.

It is exceptionally difficult for any model between 18 and 25 to get signed by a proper agency who will get them decent work, simply because their are so many models in this age group out there. Pretty girls of the right height, look and build are literally 10 a penny in this age group. You really would have to fit the template pretty much perfectly in every respect to be in with a shout.

Posted 19 Nov 2012
Alright thanks guys for your contributions I don't really think glamour is for me, Stuff in nuts, front and things like that.. really not for me. I love doing tasteful glamour like on my portfolio but I more enjoy fashion/arty sides of modelling. I think I'll just keep trying and trying to apply to agencies and hope for the best. Also, one more question, which headshot and full length shot should I use for submission?
Posted 19 Nov 2012
Renton
Photographer
Renton
Angelique, I've checked out your profile numerous times in the past and think you have an amazing look and you could be very sucessful. However I'm sorry to say that its unlikely a mainstream fashion outfit like MOT would pick you up as you do not fulfill their clients criteria. I have shot with a huge amount of models from the major agencies as both photographer and assistant and without that commercial appeal its difficult. Now this is not terrible, its just one avenue closed (possibly, what do I know really), other agencies are out there. Honestly you suit a more glamour genre but if thats not for you then there is always the smaller more regional agencies who get good and solid work for clients/models. Have you thought about signing to an extras agency, oh sod it, I'm afraid your perfect for glamour, you might hate it but you could make very good money and it can open a lot of doors.

Posted 19 Nov 2012
Henry_Artist
Photographer
Henry_Artist
I can think of at least one model who got signed with an agency who has similar stats to the OP.

Unfortunately, she isn't on PureStorm and we are not allowed to say which site she is on.
However, I think it's safe to say her agency got her a booking with N-Photo magazine and she can be seen in the September 2012 issue. So keep applying to agencies.

When it comes to selecting images to send to agents, pictures of what you really look like with no make-up are more use to them than anything else.
Posted 19 Nov 2012
Edited by ForumModerator 19 Nov 2012
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Renton
I'm afraid your perfect for glamour, you might hate it but you could make very good money and it can open a lot of doors.
I'm not trying to be contrary, but I don't get the whole "perfect for glamour" thing or "you can make very good money and it can open a lot of doors". The OP has stated she is not interested in glamour and in reality if she chose that road, she would do fine at internet level, but would be very unlikely to make much of an impression off model sites. Take adult and the channels out of the equation, there is no money on glamour and its more likely to close doors than open them. The money is in commercial jobs, even lower level commercial jobs pay much more than most adult jobs and a commercial model will probably make more from one decent job than the average glamour model will make in 3 months. Its worth the OP persisting though, its highly unlikely she will get signed by a good commercial agency, but who knows, it may be that she is exactly what someone is looking for at a particular time. Sometimes its about persistance and luck...there is no chance of getting signed if they dont know about you, thats for sure.
Posted 19 Nov 2012
Renton
Photographer
Renton
IainT
I'm not trying to be contrary, but I don't get the whole "perfect for glamour" thing or "you can make very good money and it can open a lot of doors". The OP has stated she is not interested in glamour and in reality if she chose that road, she would do fine at internet level, but would be very unlikely to make much of an impression off model sites. Take adult and the channels out of the equation, there is no money on glamour and its more likely to close doors than open them. The money is in commercial jobs, even lower level commercial jobs pay much more than most adult jobs and a commercial model will probably make more from one decent job than the average glamour model will make in 3 months. Its worth the OP persisting though, its highly unlikely she will get signed by a good commercial agency, but who knows, it may be that she is exactly what someone is looking for at a particular time. Sometimes its about persistance and luck...there is no chance of getting signed if they dont know about you, thats for sure.
I take your point, I will freely admit I know little to nothing about the glamour side of things and nothing at all about adult. I have however had the pleasure of working on films and editorial shoots with some top glamour models and chatted to them about the industry, almost to a person they said it opened doors for them and they would not be the relative success that they were if it wasn't for Page3 and FHM style work. At the end of the day everyone has a choice to make about the direction they want their career to head, I still haven't given up my dream of playing professional football but realise at 34 time (and talent) is running out.
Posted 19 Nov 2012
Edited by Renton 19 Nov 2012
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
At least you received a reply turning you down Angelique, - so few bother these days, you hear absolutely nothing, - both frustrating and disappointing.

Posted 19 Nov 2012
angelique110
Alright thanks guys for your contributions I don't really think glamour is for me, Stuff in nuts, front and things like that.. really not for me. I love doing tasteful glamour like on my portfolio but I more enjoy fashion/arty sides of modelling. I think I'll just keep trying and trying to apply to agencies and hope for the best. Also, one more question, which headshot and full length shot should I use for submission?
yet you have a "glamour" section in your portfolio? Try Boss Model Management in Manchester, some of their girls are a little shorter than what is considered working height, but they seem to do alright from it. I worked with one of their plus models and she was only 5'7ish
Posted 19 Nov 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join