best and easiest free/cheap websites

best and easiest free/cheap websites

19 posts
17 Nov 2012
Does anyone have any good experience with building a website that was easy and cheap? Really struggling to find a website that doesn't take me round in circles!!

Thanks! Xx

Posted 17 Nov 2012
ShootonLocation
Photographer
ShootonLocat..
Are you hoping to be found under say a Google search for ' Bristol model'?
Or do you simply want to display your pictures?

Posted 17 Nov 2012
Mansell
Photographer
Mansell
Try wix.com

Posted 17 Nov 2012
Wix is good, I host mine there. www.wix.com/abihill/official - if you need ideas etc
Posted 17 Nov 2012
Wix - Phoenixstormmodel.wix.com/portfolio
Posted 17 Nov 2012
iestyn
Photographer
iestyn
Wix seems good and free.
My site and hosting cost a fortune and i`m no good as a webdesigner to sort it out.
P.S. Just noticed your very close, would you like to shoot?

Posted 17 Nov 2012
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
I've tried wix but preferred webs.com

http://gerryquiff.webs.com/apps/photos/

Posted 17 Nov 2012
N_A_Photography
Photographer
N_A_Photogra..
Www.one.com costs me a tenner a year, few tweaks I have to make still

Www.nikkalaades.com

Posted 17 Nov 2012
Daz_S
Photographer
Daz_S
I use wix.com as well!!

Posted 18 Nov 2012
N_A_Photography

Www.one.com costs me a tenner a year, few tweaks I have to make still Www.nikkalaades.com

TRIED to view  your website, Nikkala - but the page just said

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

(Am using Firefox - if that makes any difference?)

Have been wanting to revamp my own website since it's transfer...very hard job!

I put up a casting on PS for someone to help me -said I would pay them. Had various replies. even one from Sweden! So I picked out the guy I wanted....BUT,
the photographer I chose, who offered to help, didn't even get the read my messages to him telling he'd got the job because suddenly he was NOT on PS anymore. His profile just vanished overnight...So that was a non-starter...
Second photographer I subsequently chose,made a right hash of designing a completely new website in early stages. He couldn't even load my images properly, the banners were ghastly...just elbows showing on one picture (!) thenmy friends said the site was impossible to navigate and despite me sending detailed emails on what I wanted, he kept putting in his OWN text like 'I'm Suzy - Modelling is My Life' - didn't even ask for that!.....

Didn't realise it would be such a hard job to get a revamp...and my website URL is printed on my business card... So now am just left with a holding site and no original galleries.

Whilst I really NEED an eyecatching website, through these recent experiences with so-called 'exper't  website builders, I am now considering as to whether give up having a website all together .

Will give WIX a go first...looks good

Shall watch this thread with great interest!

Posted 19 Nov 2012
Edited by SuzyMonty 19 Nov 2012
MightyWhite
Photographer
MightyWhite
I'd recommend www.weebly.com

I found it very easy to use and built a website using it in a few hours: www.kevinibbotsonphotography.com. And the domain name is hosted elsewhere.

However was all ready to sign up for the 'pro' version when a little more research revealed that, although the pro version offers password protection (which was the prime reason for upgrading), one password provides access to the whole site whereas I wanted certain pages to have different passwords (so clients could access their photographs).

So it's back to the drawing board.

Posted 22 Nov 2012
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
I've just revamped my site using WordPress.   http://www.pauljones.org/

Posted 22 Nov 2012
Edited by Paul_Jones 22 Nov 2012
TelfordModelStudio
Photographer
TelfordModel..
Just use Wix.com and maintain the site yourself. It can be simple or quite sophisticated. Use their HTML option, not the Flash option (if they still have that) which precludes your site from working on iPads/iPhones. Give them a few quid a year if you want a better domain name for search purposes, or don't bother if you're mainly sending out the website link yourself making it easy to find. My preferred combination is this - a getdotted.com single front title page which is free once you buy a good domain name from them (you could have had suzymonty.com for a tenner, but now I've said it, someone will probably register it). Then link that through to a free multipage Wix site for your galleries, info and a contact/booking form. I used to built simple websites for models but don't now, my website designs were more consistent and reliable than the models they were set up to promote
Posted 22 Nov 2012
TelfordModelStudio

Just use Wix.com and maintain the site yourself. It can be simple or quite sophisticated. Use their HTML option, not the Flash option (if they still have that) which precludes your site from working on iPads/iPhones. Give them a few quid a year if you want a better domain name for search purposes, or don't bother if you're mainly sending out the website link yourself making it easy to find. My preferred combination is this - a getdotted.com single front title page which is free once you buy a good domain name from them (you could have had suzymonty.com for a tenner, but now I've said it, someone will probably register it). Then link that through to a free multipage Wix site for your galleries, info and a contact/booking form. I used to built simple websites for models but don't now, my website designs were more consistent and reliable than the models they were set up to promote

Is this an answer to the OP?

Can't understand otherwise, why anyone would want to have suzymonty.com for a tenner...blush (Except me of course...)
Posted 22 Nov 2012
Edited by SuzyMonty 22 Nov 2012
TelfordModelStudio
Photographer
TelfordModel..
The information is both generally relevant, and specific to some of the later posts in the developing thread.

FWIW, friendlymodel.com could be had for a tenner a year as well.

Posted 22 Nov 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join