shoot inspiration

40 posts
12 Nov 2012
i'm not very good at shoot ideas and all the ideas i had i have done, has any one got any ideas or tips i can try on shoot ideas, thanks

Posted 12 Nov 2012
ph_oto
Photographer
ph_oto
Best thing to do is to Browse a few profiles and look for images that you like or you think would suit you.
Any Photographers who book you will probably have their own ideas too.

People tend to keep ideas to themselves, at least until after they have tried them.

Posted 12 Nov 2012
theperfectgentleman
Photographer
theperfectge..
Go to charity shos and look for photography books, there are generaly one or two to be had for a few quid.
Tom
Posted 12 Nov 2012
Go through some profiles here and on other sites you may be a member of.
Google certain genres that interest you.

Take notes of the kind of poses that stand out to you, the concepts, makeup, hairstyles, etc.
Try and practice strong poses and expressions, having a wide variety to call on will help you massively.

You must remember, however, that who ever books you will have their own inspiration so they may ask for certain things.

Kayz

Posted 18 Nov 2012
When a photographer books me , they sometimes ask me for ideas. When they arrive I show them my book which has shots of me in different scenes and suggest they pick one to start with. Any guesses which are most popular?

Posted 18 Nov 2012
Gfun
Photographer
Gfun
Isn't that the photographers job?

(otherwise they are just a GWC)

Posted 19 Nov 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
[qt][author]Gfun[/author]
Isn't that the photographers job? (otherwise they are just a GWC)[/qt]

Not necessarily! You can have a keen interest in photography but still struggle with inspiration for shoots.

Posted 19 Nov 2012
dominicdean
Photographer
dominicdean
Gfun

Isn't that the photographers job? (otherwise they are just a GWC)

Depends on what the assignment is. If its a test its both otherwise IF i pay models i tend to have concepts and ideas in mind for models to fit that concept.
I think its better to always have an idea of vwhat you want to shoot than just turning up blind, its unprofessional and can be very messy.  That said if you have a few bgood ideas, you can do rest of shoot ad hoc on chatting about other ideas as they can come from shooting..
Posted 19 Nov 2012
Gfun
Photographer
Gfun
mph

Gfun
Not necessarily! You can have a keen interest in photography but still struggle with inspiration for shoots.

OK but guess it depends on your definition of a 'photographer'

Technical excellence on how to use a camera and an understanding of how to manipulate light makes a good assistant but not a photographer.
A photographer needs creativity and a clarity of vision and to be able to interpret them into an image; yes they are an ‘artist’.

Certainly they should be able to take a brief and develop it  
e.g. Google images  ‘girl on car in bikini’ to see how many people have taken the same basic images but the few ‘photographers’ who have stand out.

Certainly models and photographers should collaborate to develop an idea or concept.

But it still needs direction and interpretation which is what differentiates a photographer from a GWC.

Or perhaps its just a personal thing that I would not appreciate a model arriving an telling me what they wanted and how to shoot it
.......... unless they were paying me
Posted 19 Nov 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Gfun

Sweeping statement of the week goes to.....
Posted 19 Nov 2012
Gfun
Photographer
Gfun
dominicdean

Depends on what the assignment is. If its a test its both otherwise IF i pay models i tend to have concepts and ideas in mind for models to fit that concept.
I think its better to always have an idea of vwhat you want to shoot than just turning up blind, its unprofessional and can be very messy.  That said if you have a few bgood ideas, you can do rest of shoot ad hoc on chatting about other ideas as they can come from shooting..

I think if a model wants to define if they are working with a photographer or a GWC, if the 'photographer' turns up to a shoot without a shoot plan is a very good indicator that they are a GWC ...

Shoots and studio time are a big commitment so they need planning its just part of the job.
Posted 19 Nov 2012
Gfun

HAHA!!
This is hilarious, do you genuinely think that?

For the OP-
I find inspiration through a lot of other media - music videos/films/magazines/online imagery.
Not only that but as suggested above charity shops are great not only for books but clothing too - the best part is its usually fairly cheap, I spend quite a bit of money on buying random things just to see if they work. The shoot is sometimes dictated by what I'm wearing.

I will give you a few examples of random things I've done - I made an outfit out of bubble wrap and pink binbags - why? because they were lying about the house and I thought it would look quite cool. Another was chucking noodles over my head, why because It was that or doritos and I just thought it would look cool. Look around you, think of things you can realistically incorporate into a shoot. I recently bought some fake spider webs - multipurpose really as I used them in my hair and got the photographer to hover them infront of the lens so it created a cloudy/dreamy type look.

I guess i'm quite fortunate that I do photography and my parter does also so I can afford to experiment fairly often. If you have a good working relationship with any photographers and they are willing to experiment then I say just go for it. You really don't always know if things will work or not but you wont know until you try. More examples have been if I have flowers dying I've used them in my hair, stuck them to my face and generally just worked with what I have had.

I had an old bath waiting to be taken to the skip, I even used that for a shoot. Just make use of what is around you, if you have an interesting alcove or window seat then try to arrange a shoot which will make use of it. Same with attics or if you have friends with interesting barns/outbuildings then ask them for permission to use them. Inspiration really is all around us you just have to open your eyes and see the possibilities.

Another thing I do is look on youtube/MUA blogs and try to use them as a template while doing my hair or makeup.
Posted 19 Nov 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Gfun

if the 'photographer' turns up to a shoot without a shoot plan is a very good indicator that they are a GWC ...

What a load of shit.  Many GWCs have a better/more clearly defined plan than many 'serious' photographers - ie. they're going to shoot tits, arse & pussy - simple.

Lack of a defined plan is no indicator whatsoever on the quality of someone's work, or their commitment to getting a good shoot, and many are happy to go with the flow and make things up on the fly (like myself - I hardly ever plan ahead)
Posted 19 Nov 2012
Gfun
Photographer
Gfun
@RedChecker - I agree the lack of a shoot plan is no indicator of the quality of work or commitment, its just a lot more difficult as your leaving your results to chance.
But if you work that way who am I to suggest you change

@Chrissie_Red - you are a professional model who works hard to help photographers get good results, I'm sure you have met many people with a shoot plan and many without; I would guess you being more creative its probably more fun working with the ones with no plan.

The old saying goes 'if you fail to plan you, plan to fail'

@shannon_123 - apologies I had no plan to hijack your post  I hope it gets back on track soon

Personally for insperation i use mood boards pinning up images I like taking ones away that I dont making sets that fit together - once I have a set then that becomes the basis for a shoot paln. 
Posted 19 Nov 2012
Edited by Gfun 19 Nov 2012
ziggypot
Photographer
ziggypot
I'm never short of ideas or themes but once I explain what I am looking for and give amodel a 'starting position' for a shot I really like them to be able to move. Just basic stuff like understanding if their hip is tilted the shoulder moves, and how it does. I have been so lucky to have worked with some great 'movers' and that includes relative newbies, but some times I get the statue . There are so many great images on line and on portfolios on this site with excellent poses. Just pracice them in a mirror
Posted 19 Nov 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join