Photographer
landmproductions
"permission to speak Captain Mainwaring"

RIP Clive and thank you for the laughter

Posted 8 Nov 2012
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
You were from an era when acting was part of making people laugh and humour was of a subtler and gentler nature. Today's remake would see you saying 'They don't like taking it up the a*se' and 'Don't sh*t yourself Captain Mainwaring'.

May you rest 'at ease' Clive.

Posted 8 Nov 2012
WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
Photographer
WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
said to my dad last night about CLIVE DUNN and he said he was one of the young ones of dad's army... was a bit confused as he didnt look young..

went home and remembered the video of "grandad" and utbed it.. was from 1971.. and he looked old but 2012 - 1971 = 41 which means he was only 51 when he was in the video so must have been in his late 40s to mid 50s when he was in dads army..

anyway RIP but will always bring laughter when watching DADS ARMY which is still on tv nowadays..

Posted 8 Nov 2012
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
I am amazed that the last series was filmed in 1977 and it is still being shown regularly on TV. How many other shows from that era (1968- 1977) have stood the test of time so well? In fact when I watch it looks authentically 1940s. (Though I was not around at that time.)

Interestingly (don't all yawn!) my Dad was Arthur Lowe's bank manager. My Dad met him on business a couple of times and thought he was very much like Captain Mainwaring!

Posted 8 Nov 2012
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
RIP Clive and thank you for many years of Family TV.

Posted 9 Nov 2012
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
carshaltonkev

I am amazed that the last series was filmed in 1977 and it is still being shown regularly on TV. How many other shows from that era (1968- 1977) have stood the test of time so well? In fact when I watch it looks authentically 1940s. (Though I was not around at that time.) Interestingly (don't all yawn!) my Dad was Arthur Lowe's bank manager. My Dad met him on business a couple of times and thought he was very much like Captain Mainwaring!

Amother interesting (and really pedantic point now given the passing of time) is that the whole series was actually told as flashback from Mainwaring's memory of events from the war. 
Posted 9 Nov 2012
njb
Photographer
njb
What really amuses me is that I actually knew people who used to be behind in all their drill steps for real....! just like Corporal Jones..
Posted 9 Nov 2012
A very talented actor, much admired within the profession.
Sadly missed but his screen performances will live on, thankfully.
R.I.P.   kiss
Posted 9 Nov 2012
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Dads Army was funny when I was a kid and hilarious when I watch it again now. Clive Dunn RIP. Old soldiers don't die they just "fall out".

Posted 9 Nov 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join