Medium fails scientific test, but says 'it proves nothing'

Medium fails scientific test, but says 'it proves nothing'

29 posts
31 Oct 2012
paule
Photographer
paule
Is there anybody there.... nah, that'll be a £10 please...

A scientific experiment has found that two mediums were unable to demonstrate that they had special psychic powers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20145664

Ms Putt said the experiment was designed to confirm the researchers' preconceptions - rather than examine the nature of her psychic ability.

"Scientists are very closed-minded," she said. ( those scientists... with all those questions, just so closed minded.. can't they just accept her word for it!! ) .... cant

Posted 31 Oct 2012
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
If I had these "powers", I would use them for something really usefull - I would seek out scientists, who could then learn how to harness them to make a meaningful contribution to the world or to my standard of living or prefereably both.

Funny how all these people with these "powers" choose to sell them to those that are succeptable to believing and parting with small amounts of cash. Cannot think this is the most rewarding way to make use of these unique talents unless of course, anybody else would spot they are charletans and they would have to get a real job

Posted 31 Oct 2012
DWHphotography
Photographer
DWHphotography
Don't you think these scientist should be paid to be doing something more constructive ? Researching for a cure for cancer or aids or any other serious life threatening illness?
Lets waste money on testing people's psychic powers (or lack of)..... for the advancement of the human race .
Scientists get money for nothing just as much as these 'psychics' do.

http://www.inquisitr.com/30289/10-of-the-strangest-scientific-studies/

Posted 1 Nov 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
DWHphotography

Don't you think these scientist should be paid to be doing something more constructive ? Researching for a cure for cancer or aids or any other serious life threatening illness?

I guess there is not a lot of point in asking the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit to research cancer!
Posted 1 Nov 2012
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
I want to know why you never see the headline 'psychic wins lottery'.

Posted 1 Nov 2012
paule
Photographer
paule
Holmax

I want to know why you never see the headline 'psychic wins lottery'.

I knew someone was going to say that.. wink

Posted 1 Nov 2012
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
If they were truly "psychic", surely they would have forseen themselves failing the test, so avoided taking it.
Posted 1 Nov 2012
kenp
Photographer
kenp
Not that I believe in any of that tosh, but I don't think 'psychics' claim to predict the future. People seem to be confusing them with 'fortune tellers' which makes some of these glib comments rather silly.

Posted 1 Nov 2012
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
kenp

Not that I believe in any of that tosh, but I don't think 'psychics' claim to predict the future. People seem to be confusing them with 'fortune tellers' which makes some of these glib comments rather silly.

Not at all, my sister in law goes to see these so called psycics, and they constantly tell her what she can expect in the future (non of which as ever happened)
Posted 1 Nov 2012
Jackass
Photographer
Jackass
EllessePhotography
Not at all, my sister in law goes to see these so called psycics, and they constantly tell her what she can expect in the future (non of which as ever happened)
Bet she didn't expect that!
Posted 1 Nov 2012
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
If scientists conducted tests on the followers of any religion and their proof that their god exists,  I suspect the outcome would be exactly the same!

It's really no more ridiculous to believe in the stars/fortune telling etc than it is in the existance of a god!
Posted 1 Nov 2012
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
The point here is that you can never prove the non-existence of something.

Si

Posted 1 Nov 2012
Shannow
Photographer
Shannow
DWHphotography

Don't you think these scientist should be paid to be doing something more constructive ? Researching for a cure for cancer or aids or any other serious life threatening illness? Lets waste money on testing people's psychic powers (or lack of)..... for the advancement of the human race . Scientists get money for nothing just as much as these 'psychics' do. http://www.inquisitr.com/30289/10-of-the-strangest-scientific-studies/

You have a fairly poor grasp of what science is, or in fact how popular media will like to spin outcomes of research to make it seem daft or remove the context entirely. 

Unsurprising outcome for the study, and equally unsurprising response from the 'medium' though.
Posted 1 Nov 2012
Edited by Shannow 1 Nov 2012
Phil_M
Photographer
Phil_M
DWHphotography
Don't you think these scientist should be paid to be doing something more constructive ? Researching for a cure for cancer or aids or any other serious life threatening illness? Lets waste money on testing people's psychic powers (or lack of)..... for the advancement of the human race . Scientists get money for nothing just as much as these 'psychics' do. http://www.inquisitr.com/30289/10-of-the-strangest-scientific-studies/
Hmm I think discrediting fraudsters is quite a useful endeavour and good for society in general. Ironic that you mention aids...aids has spread rapidly through Africa largely due to catholic doctrine that "bans" condoms. An organisation that believes in things that don't exist... So...discredit the belief in things that are not real = save lives maybe we should increase their funding?
Posted 1 Nov 2012
I have been to a Psychic in the past and I don't believe they can necessarily predict the future as someone already stated these are different to psychics.

The one I went to didn't know my name, age or DOB. I went on my birthday, she explained about how me and my partner had been together 3 years (at the time now almost 4!) she knew when I met him and the age I was, she explained to me how I was experiencing some pain in my abdomen (I'd actually had an op the week before!). She also mentioned my relationship with my Mum and explained exactly how close we were and yes everything was correct.

I personally think this experiment was a waste of time and resources why don't they do something useful with their time?

Posted 1 Nov 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join