Windows 8 or windows 7 which way do I go

Windows 8 or windows 7 which way do I go

31 posts
24 Oct 2012
Mark_Time
Photographer
Mark_Time
Ok so Windows 8 launches on Friday and I just happen to need a new laptop (budget around £500) So do I wait till Friday and get the all new Windows OS or do I grab  a "Sale" bargain with a higher specified machine running windows 7.

I have windows 7 on my current Acer but the machine itself keeps crashing so Im intending to simply replace the machine.
Posted 24 Oct 2012
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
It's only the one extra window to clean, so go for 8
Posted 24 Oct 2012
Mark_Time
Photographer
Mark_Time
gerryquiff

It's only the one extra window to clean, so go for 8
To do that I may need to borrow your dungarees cheeky

Posted 24 Oct 2012
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Mark_Time

To do that I may need to borrow your dungarees cheeky

Anytime, will you be wanting my horse and cart also?
Posted 24 Oct 2012
andy_h
Photographer
andy_h
I cant really see a good use of Windows 8 on the desktop. I can understand it on tablets and phones, but it doesnt seem much cop on a standard keyboard and mouse set up.

Posted 24 Oct 2012
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
You will still be able to purchase laptops with 7 for several months yet. There's a lot of stock about, and they will want to shift them, perhaps with a slight discount. You might find that Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to 8 when you buy a 7 laptop, just check out the various on-line stores.

I just had a look at Ebuyer, and they are doing a deal where you buy an Acer laptop 7 and for an extra £14 you get the upgrade to 8.

Posted 24 Oct 2012
carldavis
Photographer
carldavis
dont know too much about it but I believe you can switch off all that tablet/touch interface and get a more windows 7 experience with it. I have read that it is a faster operating system, more stable and will have more apps etc available for it.

Posted 24 Oct 2012
Astonscarff
Photographer
Astonscarff
You couldn't turn off that blasted touch interface on the enterprise preview I've been using on and off since that was available.

I would go for Windows 7 - no point being an early adopter on any Windows release IMO

Posted 24 Oct 2012
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
Whats the difference?

Posted 24 Oct 2012
Rupie
Photographer
Rupie
Dont buy a new machine just because it crashes !!!! It probably just needs sorting out, you must know someone who can do that for you. 8 is very different to 7, in many ways so if you want a machine that just works (and you insist on buying a new one !!!!!!!) go for 7. Can I have your old machine ?
Posted 24 Oct 2012
Mark_Time
Photographer
Mark_Time
I have two old machines, The Lenovo is just slow, when I get the time I will flatten it and re-install the OS, The Acer was fairly top end for its type when I bought it. I have already flattened it and reinstalled windows 7 but its still crashing and giving me a version of TBSOD. I think I may have broken one of the ICB's inside due to my habit of picking it up by the corner.

Posted 24 Oct 2012
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
You'll probably find that most PC manufacturers will sell you a machine with Windows 7 installed and give you a DVD with Windows 8 on. Last time I bought a new machine it had Vista 64-bit installed and came with a Windows 7 DVD which I never got round to installing.

Posted 25 Oct 2012
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
andy_h

I cant really see a good use of Windows 8 on the desktop. I can understand it on tablets and phones, but it doesnt seem much cop on a standard keyboard and mouse set up.

Have you actually used it?
The 'metro' part of it is only an overlay, click on the giant desktop app box and it looks and acts like windows 7.
The version that goes onto the tablets is Windows 8 RT and can't run standard win 32 apps and is very different.
The desktop version is actually very nice
Posted 26 Oct 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I've heard we're to expect memory usage to double for this new OS, in part due to all the visual bells 7 whistles.

Personally I'm going to bypass 16gb for my next machine and try to aim for 32gb RAM.

Posted 26 Oct 2012
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
HowardJ

You'll probably find that most PC manufacturers will sell you a machine with Windows 7 installed and give you a DVD with Windows 8 on. Last time I bought a new machine it had Vista 64-bit installed and came with a Windows 7 DVD which I never got round to installing.

They wont, there has been a widely advertised offer of windows 7 machines getting a Win 8 upgrade for £14.99 if you want it.
Once windows 8 is launched today manufacturers will start shipping win 8 pre installed but with the option to downgrade.
Posted 26 Oct 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join