The majority of models simply dont deserve paid work....

The majority of models simply dont deserve paid work....

151 posts
20 Oct 2012
IainT
Photographer
IainT
This is not a rant, just a general observation. I would say about 75% of models I encounter on the internet simply dont deserve work and I would rather give the money to charity.

Times are hard, if you want work you need to make an effort and make yourself stand out from the competition.

I find most models make themselves ridiculously hard to book, simply because they make no effort on the basics.
The level of Professionalism is an absolute joke, combine that with the lack of work available and its easy to see why most models cannot get bookings.

1. Casting images, you need to have them available and up to date, showing your current look. 6 month old images are worse than useless.
2. You need to communicate properly and answer questions. If I dont get the info and pictures I need within a couple of mails, I'm not going to bother. Who has time for email tennis or trying to painfully extract pictures and information?

Why are some models always busy whatever the economy? Because they have the right attitude.

I dont know how others feel, but the right Professional attitude is the most important quality a model can have.

Posted 20 Oct 2012
ChrisYPhotography
Photographer
ChrisYPhotog..
Nail/head...

Am sure a few models would also add to this and say the same about some photographers but goes without saying that the serious people prevail in all cases.

Posted 20 Oct 2012
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
Well said, and so true.

Posted 20 Oct 2012
Henry_Artist
Photographer
Henry_Artist
As usual, you are completely correct Iain.

I really do struggle to find suitable models for my shoots (which explains why I work repeatedly with the same small group of models).

I realise that exercise is an anathema to many young women in this country but a toned figure is something I insist upon where models are concerned. And eyebrows. Liz Hurley, Kate Moss, Keira Knightley, Emma Watson, and hundreds of agency signed fashion models all manage to have eyebrows so why can't internet models have them too?

Oh, and good skin.
"Ah, but you can photoshop away blemishes and zits, etc."
"Umm.... no. I mainly shoot MF film. My end product is prints from said film images. No photoshopping here folks!"
Posted 20 Oct 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
The professional attitude of all the models I've worked with never ceases to amaze me.

Posted 20 Oct 2012
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
I too am totally frustrated by the lack of comittment of those that say they are available for work then pussy foot around.  There are those that I have worked with and who are gems but on average for every six enquiries I send out I will be lucky to get one arranged shoot.

I have a client I also provide content for, and they are amazed at the UK's lack of professionalism and understand why so many photographers took the opportunity to move to Europe where people were actually prepared to work for the fee, were much better prepared for the work.

I can only put it down to idiots with cheap camera's prepared to indulge those that are totally inadequate for modelling (under 5ft 5in and only wants to do fashion), or the chancers that seem to prey on new models with tall tales, and shoddy technique both photographic and image editing.

Still I soldier on..........
Posted 20 Oct 2012
ChrisD
Photographer
ChrisD
IainT

I find most models make themselves ridiculously hard to book, simply because they make no effort on the basics. 

You need to communicate properly and answer questions. 

+1

Posted 20 Oct 2012
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Keltica
I have a client I also provide content for, and they are amazed at the UK's lack of professionalism and understand why so many photographers took the opportunity to move to Europe where people were actually prepared to work for the fee, were much better prepared for the work.
I don't necessarilly agree with this. East Europeans are generally prettier, in better shape and more suitable, but I often find them every bit as unprofessional as UK girls and more difficult to deal with. I would rather work with UK models any day, to be fair useless UK models are easily weeded out at the correspondence stage, usually once booked they tend to be fine, thats not necessarilly my experience with EE,s
Posted 20 Oct 2012
IainT
Photographer
IainT
mgphotomedia
The professional attitude of all the models I've worked with never ceases to amaze me.
I'm usually fairly pleased with the attitude of models I actually work with, its the selection process which I find tiresome. In theory, it should be a simple process, in practice its made difficult by the models themselves.
Posted 20 Oct 2012
bartman11
Photographer
bartman11
IainT

This is not a rant, just a general observation. I would say about 75% of models I encounter on the internet simply dont deserve work and I would rather give the money to charity. Times are hard, if you want work you need to make an effort and make yourself stand out from the competition. I find most models make themselves ridiculously hard to book, simply because they make no effort on the basics. The level of Professionalism is an absolute joke, combine that with the lack of work available and its easy to see why most models cannot get bookings. 1. Casting images, you need to have them available and up to date, showing your current look. 6 month old images are worse than useless. 2. You need to communicate properly and answer questions. If I dont get the info and pictures I need within a couple of mails, I'm not going to bother. Who has time for email tennis or trying to painfully extract pictures and information? Why are some models always busy whatever the economy? Because they have the right attitude. I dont know how others feel, but the right Professional attitude is the most important quality a model can have.

+1
Posted 20 Oct 2012
mark_e
Photographer
mark_e
No worries Iain... economics will prevail.

The professional models, able to read and understand a casting, able to communicate beyond monosyllabic text speak, the models with up to date representative casting images... these will be the models that make some money in this ever declining market (which is going to get much worse yet).

So, broadly, yes, the right Professional attitude is one of the most important qualities a real model can have, within the remit of any particular casting... but how many ‘real’ models are there?
Posted 20 Oct 2012
1919_Images
Photographer
1919_Images
I thought the problems I encounter trying to fill paid castings were due mainly to my amateur status and lack of funds, when I read a full time professional with decent pay to offer has exactly the same problems you begin to wonder whether its all worth the hassle.

Posted 20 Oct 2012
Edited by 1919_Images 20 Oct 2012
ph_oto
Photographer
ph_oto
As usual Iain has summed up the general situation precisely.
I have to add though that amongst the remaining 25% there are some first class models who DO understand words like Dedication, Effort and Professionalism.
The problem sometimes can be that despite careful selection one or two of the others do slip through the net occasionally.
I've recently worked with two seemingly very good models who I had thought were both in the "professional attitude" category as far as working with them was concerned, only to find that they were definitely NOT. I was really quite surprised as on the surface both had very good references and their profiles were of a good standard.
One of them I had worked with before without any issues, but the second shoot was an entirely different story.
The outcome is that both these "models" have been added to my Never again list.

Sadly I have also noticed a difference in the attitude of some models since I retired from Commercial Photography and changed my status to "Amateur" and I've heard had the words "You're only an amateur" many times.

Posted 20 Oct 2012
raven60
Photographer
raven60
I think we all have seen the casting, model looking for paid work only. You check out their portfolio, and have about 6 images on there. All taken by a mobile phone, self taken too. A joke really. They cause a lot of problems for the real professional models.

As i say, here one min then gone for ever. Maybe site owners should be more tougher on giving these so called models a profile on various sites.

In this busy stressful world,sometimes we find time to reply to castings. Then other parts of our life divert us from what we would like to do. Following up on casting calls and arranging final shooting dates/times.

There are some semi/professional models on here that are great in all ways. They turn up with all what was arranged to to shoot.

I would like models to acknowledge that Photographers that have expenses too! Also time req after shoot for the editing. I call it free labour!

Maybe a model will stick a reply on here.

Happy shooting to all

Posted 20 Oct 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
raven60
Maybe a model will stick a reply on here.
The good ones are too busy out shooting. The others are in bed recovering from the previous night out!
Posted 20 Oct 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join