Virus

9 posts
18 Oct 2012
Renton
Photographer
Renton
Ok so my partner came to me and said 'My computer has a virus, fix it!'. I use Mac's, not idea how to use a PC in anger, is there any thing I should be aware of when trying to clean/purge it. If I were doing this to a Mac not a problem but I'm not.
Help please.

Posted 18 Oct 2012
Renton
Photographer
Renton
Ok so my partner came to me and said 'My computer has a virus, fix it!'. I use Mac's, no idea how to use a PC in anger, is there any thing I should be aware of when trying to clean/purge it. If I were doing this to a Mac not a problem but I'm not.
Help please.

Posted 18 Oct 2012
Edited by Renton 18 Oct 2012
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
I used Malwarebytes to remove one problem on a PC.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free anti-virus PC tool worth installing.

Posted 18 Oct 2012
Renton
Photographer
Renton
Thank you, I will have a look at those
Posted 18 Oct 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
If you don't know what you are doing.......
Posted 19 Oct 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Google and install/run full scans with these two sequentially (Google always put the genuine links to the top), it could take an hour or two though but their scans are quite thorough:

Ad-Aware
Spybot

And for anti-virus install Avast (free version) which is pretty damn good.
Posted 19 Oct 2012
Edited by RedChecker 19 Oct 2012
Renton
Photographer
Renton
RedChecker
Google and install/run full scans with these two sequentially (Google always put the genuine links to the top), it could take an hour or two though but their scans are quite thorough: Ad-Aware Spybot And for anti-virus install Avast (free version) which is pretty damn good.
Thank you, I've already installed and run Avast, it found a lot of bad looking things, took and age but worth it for anyone reading as it is free. I will try the other two you recommended as well, many thanks.
Posted 19 Oct 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
A lot depends on whether or not there is a virus! How does she know? Many of the programs mentioned are looking for malware not virus removal.

Posted 19 Oct 2012
markwalden
Photographer
markwalden
I use AVG on my PC which I pay for, but you can download a free version.

http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

Posted 19 Oct 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join