Maternity / Pregnancy photos

Maternity / Pregnancy photos

7 posts
18 Oct 2012
Hi all!!

Im Currently pregnant with my first child.
I was just wondering, is there an appeal to do a shoot with a pregnant woman?
Do many photographers have a want/need to shoot with them?
As with most pregnancies i have gained the usual weight etc.. so stopped shooting the moment i found out i was.
How ever now im showing i have a shoot booked with me and my partner to create some really artistic shots.
How ever i was just wondering do most photographers enjoy the usual, slim pretty models or are they willing to try all things different?
Let me know your opinions. Thanks people

Posted 18 Oct 2012
Hey I'm 40+ weeks pregnant and i did a pregnancy shoot around 35 weeks. I chose a photographer i had worked with before and he was interested in doing a pregnancy shoot as it was adding something new to his portfolio. I do think there are plenty of photographers out there who are genuinly interested in working with pregnant models, you've just got to look in the right places and i personally don't think it should matter if a model was a size 8 or 12 etc before they became pregnant. I'd certainly try your best to get a pregnancy shoot under your belt...not just to add to your portfolio but it's great to look back on your photos as a keepsake. Feel free to have a look at my pregnancy shots on my profile.
Posted 18 Oct 2012
jetbrown
Photographer
jetbrown
I do something like 10 to 15 pregnancy shoots a year - the first few were also for my benefit to expand my portfolio, but now I get regular requests for these shoots from your average mum to be who are happy to pay for such shoots. I also find a demand for shoots throughout the pregnancy to show the bump growing and finishing with baby in the last shot.

I think most photographers would be interested to shoot such a subject if they haven't already
Posted 18 Oct 2012
Edited by jetbrown 18 Oct 2012
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
Congrats on being with bump.

Lots of photographers like shooting pregnant models; for some, it's a nice change from their usual stuff, for others, it's a chance to increase their maternity portfolio. I know several togs who happily shoot maternity images tf* to get more experience with it and build up their port, with the intent to be able to charge for the service in future. There are plenty of hobbyists who do bump shoots as well, just for the love of shooting; some people think that special glow makes the prettiest subject of all!

You're probably far less likely to be offered paid work while you're with bump, unless a photographer nearby happens to need a pregnant model for a project. Still, chances are you'll be able to find someone to shoot you tf*, maybe put up a casting call for it; you could even offer to do a tf* shoot of the photographer's choosing within your levels after the baby arrives in return, I've seen several models do that (if you still plan to model after he/she arrives, of course.) From what I've seen, photographers do tend to favour a bigger bump so if you've only recently started showing, the interest might be slim for now.

As Dannsair said, it's a nice keepsake, so I hope you have fun and can get a few shoots under your belt. Good luck!
Posted 18 Oct 2012
Edited by Purple_Girl 18 Oct 2012
Thanks for your replies people.

I have a photographer booked to work with in January about 5 weeks before im due, so as purple_girl said i think he did favor a bigger bump lol.
I had asked him as i have worked with him before and i adore his work and we get on really well. I just wanted to know if it would of been a burden for him to work with me doing a shoot and if there would of been any genuine interesting in expanding our portfolios.
Im guessing not everyone shoots a pregnant woman, so it would be a nice touch to both our ports.

Thanks guys!

Posted 18 Oct 2012
Snipet
Photographer
Snipet
I'm fairly new to the whole model shooting scene, and really want to get into the 'Art Nude' style as I love the artistic final picture and the technical lighting aspect. But the one style of shot I would stop everything else to do is a maternity one, I think you can get some really gorgeous shots and pregnant women always have a lovely glow to their skin. I've got friends that have helped model practice shots for art nude, but im yet to convince one to get pregnant so I can shoot her in a maternity shoot. Lol.
Posted 18 Oct 2012
Snappercartier
Photographer
Snappercarti..
I have photographed several sequences starting from 2 to 3 months and going to term, then continuing with the baby at about 4 weeks. The sequence can be montaged to make one composite image. It takes a lot of dedication, but the results can be wonderful. http://www.caramelphoto.com/pregnancy.html This is my first post, so unsure whether links are allowed. I have several maternity shoots on my website, caramelphoto dot com which you might like to visit if looking for ideas.
Good luck with the shoot and motherhood!
Ian

Posted 22 Oct 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join