Anyone had a Hernia op?

Anyone had a Hernia op?

14 posts
16 Oct 2012
BaileyK
Model
BaileyK
Hi guys,

My pop pop is set to have his umbilical hernia sorted with surgery within the next 6 weeks...

Has anyone else had surgery and what are we to expect?
He is useless at asking questions...

How long were you off work etc?
xxx
Posted 16 Oct 2012
Jack_Russell
Photographer
Jack_Russell
No lifting, no straining on the loo, off work for about 6 weeks. Simples.

Good luck to him.

Posted 17 Oct 2012
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
A friend of mine had a hernia op and soon after came down with DVT. Due mainly to inactivity after the op probably . DVT can follow most operations so not by any means a forgone conclusion. It might be worth learning the exercises needed to curtail the chances of getting it.

Posted 17 Oct 2012
alanwilson
Photographer
alanwilson
As Jack said on the first two points, and work depends on what he does, dont make him laugh too much, and you have to buy him things and make him all his favourite foods and keep him well topped up with cups of tea.

Tell your dad the good news is he will have a more defined six pack, and instantaneously feel as he did in his twenties.

Posted 17 Oct 2012
Feff
Photographer
Feff
Had mine done four years ago, you have to be careful no to strain yourself, especially in the first couple of weeks.I was only off work for a week, but then as a photographer I suppose it was easier for me, as there's no heavy lifting etc!

Biggest surprise was the energy I had back after the op! Didn't realise what a drain on my body having a hernia was!

Posted 17 Oct 2012
Beemer2009
Photographer
Beemer2009
Hi , Had mine done 3 weeks today, had a double one, nothing to worry about. Was sore for 3 days, driving in 4 days, but I was in discomfort , so let it another 2 days . The only problem I had was when I helped wife with shopping and picked up a shopping bag,,,,,,,, 2 days of pain So was advised yesterday, NO HEAVY LIFTING for 3 month. Just have a little discomfort every now and then. 85.000 people have this op a year. Mark
Posted 17 Oct 2012
BaileyK
Model
BaileyK
Thanks guys much appreciated!

My dad has been exercising and I think he will struggle hugely not being about to cain it at the gym.
He wants to see what if anything he can do exercise wise...
He was told no work/driving for a month x

Posted 17 Oct 2012
Beemer2009
Photographer
Beemer2009
Hi Again,

I was told I could drive as soon as I could stamp my feet on the floor hard . The only thing I was told was not to drive for 72 hours due to the drugs .
As for work, if he has a desk job I'd say a week, I was at the studio with in 3 days, but was very uncomfortable just sitting there , should have given a week .

Mark
Posted 17 Oct 2012
Edited by Beemer2009 17 Oct 2012
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Most hernias are sorted out as day-cases, these days BUT I am not sure if umbilicals come in that category. ASSUMING that they use the same sort of technique for umbilical as for inguinal (the common one) hernias they sew a sheet of strong nylon mesh over the tear. The whole thing is pretty strong form the finish of the operation but will be sore for a while. Almost all exercise will involve some kind of abdominal muscle activity so he is probably better off ignoring the gym for a few weeks. He will probably be seen by a physiotherapist before discharge and she or he is the person to ask about return to the gym.

Posted 17 Oct 2012
diipii
Photographer
diipii
Still got mine after 30+ years and am quite attached to it.
I guess it must be a "mild mannered one".

Posted 22 Oct 2012
stimpy
Photographer
stimpy
Bit of a late reply I had mine done about 18 years ago when I was a young lad of 22 ,back home within the day spent the best part of two weeks in bed or hobbling around the house didn't drive for nearly a month and 6 weeks off work I went back to work due to being bored stuck at home , the initial pain after he hernia repair was far worse than the discomfort of the hernia I would say it took me a good few months to feel fully back upto strength and still occasionally get a aching pain if I've had a few heavy days at work but worth having it done, for his sake don't make him laugh after the op or give him anything that could make him sneeze the pain can make you feel like you are being ripped in half ,and for the first couple of days don't get out of bed I got up to go to the bathroom a few hours after getting home collapsed on the floor and had to be rescued not funny lying on on the bathroom floor in your undies having your dad and his mates pick you up to put you back in bed ,hope all goes well for him

Posted 14 Nov 2012
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Had one last christmas. Due another this christmas. Lucky me would just add that hes better off in the long term allowing time for recovery if he can. Hope all goes well.
Posted 14 Nov 2012
i had a hernia for 7 years (from 12 to 19 it randomly appeared the same time i hit puberty but dont know if its linked) and doctors refused to do anything about it when i was 12/13/14 because i was young and after so long i stopped going to them the hernia was next to my uterus and felt like a golf ball but when i was pregnant the pressure of a full womb for 8 months must of held it in the correct place and it must of heeled because i haven't had a problem since and its been 4 years nearly i wish your pop pop good luck with the hernia and just take it easy for a while once its heeled he should be able to do everything as normal
Posted 14 Nov 2012
somph
Photographer
somph
Mine was a major hernia, and I spent 11 weeks hobbling around (6 weeks at home) before I was allowed to drive. It was invasive surgery, and I spent a night in hospital. If possible, get it done through key-hole surgery.

Posted 14 Nov 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join