New website - Comments please :)

New website - Comments please :)

48 posts
12 Oct 2012
HEY PURESTORMERS Heres my new modelling site Credits page coming up soon! Comments and (CONSTRUCTIVE) Criticism please http://phoenixstormmodel.wix.com/portfolio Enjoy, Thanks.
Posted 12 Oct 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
I don't know if you realise it but the images you've included on your 'aims' section almost certainly constitute breaches of copyright.

Posted 12 Oct 2012
I actually had advice on this from a website designer and they aren't because I didn't claim to own them
Posted 12 Oct 2012
I shall add a disclaimer though, just to clarify
Posted 12 Oct 2012
Disclaimer added. Any other comments welcome
Posted 12 Oct 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
Some words of advice for you:

1. Your website designer is wrong.

2. A disclaimer will make no difference - it's still breach of copyright.

3. Don't ride roughshod over copyright issues unless you want to alienate photographers that might otherwise be willing to work with you.
Posted 12 Oct 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
ModelxCheryl
Disclaimer added. Any other comments welcome
Still a copyright breach I'm afraid.
Posted 12 Oct 2012
Edited by mph 12 Oct 2012
_elegia_
Photographer
_elegia_
One of the photographer's whose image you've put on your site is a member on here too. I'd advise removing them asap.

Posted 12 Oct 2012
Oh my goodness. Ok I shall remove them.

Posted 12 Oct 2012
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
I just looked for your disclaimer and can't see it anywhere. I don't think that not claiming ownership of the images means you can use them anyway, if you don't have permission to put them on your site then they shouldn't really be there. I'd be inclined to scrap that page altogether; if you're expecting to use the site for paid work, the things you just 'fancy trying' aren't going to be very important to the photographers potentially booking you. If they're going to pay you, they're going to shoot you in the style they want - they're probably not going to pay you to recreate images you like.

As for the site generally, I don't think you need a slideshow of 6 images on the home page when the same ones are already on your 'my work' page. My connection is pretty fast and the slideshow is a little bit slow-moving; if I were you, I'd just choose your best image and have it as a still on the home page.

Edit: Oops, too slow, lol.
Posted 12 Oct 2012
Edited by Purple_Girl 12 Oct 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
I don't think blue text on a black background works very well.

Posted 12 Oct 2012
TheChrisS
Photographer
TheChrisS
Your Facebook link at the bottom of the site just links to Facebook too - not your Facebook page.

The copyright stuff is already one thing, that has been mentioned. But my main problem is that the site was created with a template / website generator. I'm guessing all you did was change the text and images around with one of, say, 12 templates provided for you. Everything is inconsistent as well. On the "About" page you have blue text in a black box with a pink border. It's quite hard on the eyes. Then on the "My Work" page the font is considerably larger. And white. The photo on the "contact" me page looks like it was taken with a mobile phone camera.

Normally, for TFP shoots or for a personal page these wouldn't necessarily amount to serious problems, but if you're trying to create a proper portfolio to encourage people to pay for your services, I think your site needs to be more professionally designed, with your best images included.

That's just my constructive feedback.

Posted 12 Oct 2012
Edited by TheChrisS 12 Oct 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
Probably best if you have a web contact page not to put your email address on it as well.

Posted 12 Oct 2012
TheChrisS
Photographer
TheChrisS
I'm guessing the email address is one specifically created. But by placing email addresses as text you encourage spam to appear. Consider making the address a graphic rather than text.

Posted 12 Oct 2012
Thanks guys ill get straight to work on it tomorrow Will post again once amendments have been made
Posted 12 Oct 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join