Smudgy eyeliner

17 posts
12 Oct 2012
This forum was excellent when chosing a new foundation, so I need help again, please!

What's the best for smudgey khol eyeliner? I used to use Bourjois but that type I used is now discontinued. What's the best alternative?

xx

Posted 12 Oct 2012
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
I use a liquid eyeliner and then black eye powder to blend.

Si

Posted 12 Oct 2012
soap & glory do a great kohl eyeliner that is very soft and easy to apply great for smudging with a brush or cotton bud it blends nicely
smoulder kohl its called its not very expensive and found it to be one of the best i have used over the years

Posted 12 Oct 2012
_Maz_
Model
_Maz_
Try MUA intense colour eyeliner for £1 - goes on great and smudges well. I'd also go over it with some black shadow too.

Posted 12 Oct 2012
jessewalker
Make Up Artist
jessewalker
MAC smoulder kohl pencil is super black and super smudgey. J x
Posted 12 Oct 2012
Had to laugh when I read this. surprise SMUDGY EYELINER

Bought a new liquid black khol eyeliner pen for my recent Gypsy Woman shoot and boy did it smudge!

NOT intentionally. so I was kinda in a panic... Good job that the gypsy eyes look had to have dramatic, darker makeup than usual, because I was tossing up whether to wipe all my make-up off and start again, or do a repair job...in end did the latter as didn't have much time before photographer  picked me up at 8.15am... and I used pencil eyeliner over the liquid eyeliner which set it better and the day was saved...learnt my lesson, never try out new makeup for a shoot, always do a 'test' first....

Would think after 30 plus years in the business should have learnt... but then liquid eyeliner pens are pretty much a new innovation...in the good ol' days it was a paint job with block eyeliner mixed with water and a brush to paint on, like an artist...or instead of water, some models used 'spit'...mmmm

Oh well....Hope the OP found what she was looking for...
Posted 12 Oct 2012
Edited by SuzyMonty 12 Oct 2012
I always find the cheaper the brand the better the eyeliner... Barry m eyeliner is super!

Posted 12 Oct 2012
simplydivine
Make Up Artist
simplydivine
I agree with the MUA eyeliner or fashionista both budget prices and smudge well, also benefit's bad gal is super smudgey but more pricey. I also set with black eye shadow once it is smudged how I want it so it doesn't carry on smearing with the heat from your skin and moisture from eyes hope this helps xx
Posted 16 Oct 2012
What do you mean, set with black eyeshadow?

Posted 16 Oct 2012
_Maz_
Model
_Maz_
Smudgy, pencil eyeliner tends to smear down your face with heat, sweat, weather etc which can give you bad racoon eyes. Putting a light layer of shadow on top of the liner will stop it smearing/fading etc.
Posted 16 Oct 2012
Edited by _Maz_ 16 Oct 2012
laurashipmanmua
Make Up Artist
laurashipman..
I've just bought eyeliner from Helen E and it's my favourite one ever (and I've tried loads).
It lasts all day and night (even at a concert), it smudges really well and it has a sponge tip at the other end to soften the line with if you want to.

Posted 18 Oct 2012
I second the Soap and Glory's Smoulder Kohl (http://www.soapandglory.com/products/cosmetics/eyes/smoulder-kohl) - it's very waterproof but smudges nicely for that 'smudgy eyeliner' look. Set it with a little black eyeshadow after you're done and it'll last all day. I actually forgot to take my makeup off last night and wowke up this morning to find it was still completely in place, as if I'd just put it on

Posted 18 Oct 2012
Soap and Glory wins. Will report back.

Still need to figure out that black shadow stuff you're talking about. So I put that on the lash line? Won't it get in my eye?

Posted 18 Oct 2012
_Maz_
Model
_Maz_
beauvoir

Soap and Glory wins. Will report back. Still need to figure out that black shadow stuff you're talking about. So I put that on the lash line? Won't it get in my eye?

See when you're putting on eyeshadow normally, you'd put in on your lid, and under your eye? Well for the smudgy eyeliner look you put the liner on your lid & under your eye , smudge, then press black eyeshadow on top of it - as you'd do with eyeshadow normally. 
Posted 18 Oct 2012
Edited by _Maz_ 18 Oct 2012
simplydivine
Make Up Artist
simplydivine
beauvoir

What do you mean, set with black eyeshadow?

once you have put on the eyeliner and smudged or softened it, use a little powder black eyeshadow over the top to "set" the eyeliner so it doesn't smear, as the heat from your skin and moisture from your eyes can make it run or smear more than you intend it to

Posted 19 Oct 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join