I spent £9.96 to book a doctors appointment!

I spent £9.96 to book a doctors appointment!

29 posts
9 Oct 2012
djwilby
Photographer
djwilby
I have just got my mobile bill and noticed it was a little higher than I thought it should be, so I checked it out and found out my new doctors surgery number is a premium line costing 41p a minute - with a minimum charge of 1 minute.

While sat in the waiting room a couple of months ago I noticed a new number for appointments so I automatically put it in my mobile without giving it a second thought.

A couple of weeks ago I needed an appointment and rang them - the first 3 attempts to call I got a message saying the surgery was closed (that cost me £1.23).
My fourth attempt I was holding for about 9 minutes before I had to put the phone down and take another call.
My 5th attempt I managed to book an appointment after a lot of hassle (another story) and almost 13 minutes!

I have checked their web sites that shows their one and only contact number and nothing is stated about the premium rate.
I didn't fancy ringing them to complain, so I have written them a letter which I will drop off tomorrow, at the same time I'll see if the posters with their number mentions the fact that the number is premium rate.

I've just realised that it's going to cost me more - I wanted an urgent appointment so my wife also tried half dozen times to call them! 

Posted 9 Oct 2012
Edited by djwilby 9 Oct 2012
photostore
Photographer
photostore
that sums up this country at the momentand comes as no surprise at all, i'd be calling the local health board (on their premium number )to complain

Posted 9 Oct 2012
photostore
Photographer
photostore
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/health/gp-surgeries-are-still-using-premium-rate-dialling-codes-join-the-debate-1-3322581

Posted 9 Oct 2012
River
Model
River
My phone bills have cost a bomb recently thanks to student finance. It costs a stupid amount per minute to ring them, and they normally keep me on hold for about 10 minutes! Silly thing is that its costing me money to be able to GET my money. Grrr.

Posted 9 Oct 2012
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
See if those pesky premium rate numbers show up in

http://www.saynoto0870.com

I found my doctors there, and now use the normal number the line diverts to. 
Posted 9 Oct 2012
Is it a full cost nuber from a landline?

I notices that 0845 numbers that are local from your landline or 0800 which are free are about 40p from my mobile and can't be called within free minutes.

So check the number and what the surgery beleive it costs.

Posted 9 Oct 2012
Now a days if I need to go to the doctors I just walk in and book an appointment quicker and hassle free.

Posted 9 Oct 2012
djwilby
Photographer
djwilby
If I had used a land line it would have cost about 15p connection and 8p per minute - but I was out and at work and don't normally think about using the works phone for private calls. Also as I have a mobile package I very rarely use the home phone - I would probably have used the mobile even if I was at home.

Had a quick look about 0844 numbers and it looks like the owner of the number can get about 2-4p per minute back - so the doc got about £1 of my money! They might had to subscribe, but all they have to do is turn their phone off for a couple of minutes a day and they soon get the subscription paid.

Shouldn't the users of premium numbers state that using mobiles to call them are going to be expensive! I'm sure I've heard on the TV quizzes that "using a mobile will be considerably more"! 

Posted 9 Oct 2012
djwilby
Photographer
djwilby
cathfazaxxx

Now a days if I need to go to the doctors I just walk in and book an appointment quicker and hassle free.

With the number of visits I've had recently I wish this would be an option. I live in Essex/East London and to get to my doctors it's a 10 minute drive and then due to parking it's normally a 5 minute walk on top. Same for the Chemist!
Posted 9 Oct 2012
photomane9
Photographer
photomane9
With many of these deals the surgery itself doesn't make that much money; instead a facilities company installs and maintains all the practice's internal communications, internet and IT infrastructure and in return gets the lion's share of the (considerable) revenue.  Not that that in any way makes the use of premium rate numbers justifiable.

Posted 9 Oct 2012
ph_oto
Photographer
ph_oto
Thankfully my Docs still use a local area dial code, but no guarantee that it'll keep doing so.

Posted 9 Oct 2012
jaejay
Photographer
jaejay
djwilby
If I had used a land line it would have cost about 15p connection and 8p per minute - but I was out and at work and don't normally think about using the works phone for private calls.  
If you are with BT you can use a "BT Charge Card" on any phone, even "works phones", the call gets charged to your home account. It is slightly more than ringing from your home but cheaper than from a phone box. And definatly cheaper than your mobile. Also the company doesn't get the bill.
Posted 9 Oct 2012
Edited by jaejay 9 Oct 2012
shobart
Model
shobart
River
My phone bills have cost a bomb recently thanks to student finance. It costs a stupid amount per minute to ring them, and they normally keep me on hold for about 10 minutes! Silly thing is that its costing me money to be able to GET my money. Grrr.
In regards to SF, your Students Union should have free-to-use phones that you can use. I never use my mobile to call SF because it's bloody expensive and I can't afford it!
Posted 9 Oct 2012
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
My Doctor's has a Chemist (okay a Pharmacist, if I must) attached to it. I've got Asthma, no big deal... but every single time I go in for a new inhaler, the Chemist attempts to drag me into a little room to give me advice on how to use the thing. They then ask you to sign a form so they can claim money from the NHS for this service.

Last time I told them frankly, if I want medical advice I will speak to a Doctor or a Nurse, not a glorified shopkeeper! It's a scam.

And don't get me started on how much the NHS wastes on interpreters in my area. Grrrrr!

Dave
Posted 9 Oct 2012
Edited by Crippen 9 Oct 2012
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Job Centres have phones that you can just lift up and dial for job vacancies.

You'd probably have to browse their job vacancy section for a few minutes before phoning your aunt in Australia

Posted 9 Oct 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join