... sex sells.

28 posts
4 Oct 2012
I am just curious as to why there is such a high supply of adult style shoots. Is this the reason that I have not recieved much interest - as I refuse to promote myself for adult purposes? Or is there just no interest in fashion, is my profile dated, or should I not be on here? I am just looking for slight direction and maybe suggestions, to improve my chances of being booked. I have been a member for a few years last time I used the site I was constantly being asked . . . has something changed? 

Thanks for reading.
the different one
Posted 4 Oct 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
Yep things have changed.

Mostly because the easy money that was floating around a few years ago no longer exists so paid work is both much harder to find and even harder to win. There is virtually no money around for non-nude internet modelling - unless you're one of the few models that has a top-notch port.

In theory it should be easier for a good, versatile model to pick up work as there's less competition from other models.

Purestorm is still the best site for paid work but levels are key to winning any of it.
Posted 4 Oct 2012
this is mainly an art nude and glamor site, there are some great photographers here and good non nude models but you have to work hard with good photographers to build up and amazing port and really sell yourself or youll probably just fall between the cracks, i believe mm has more of a fashion scene though

Posted 4 Oct 2012
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
I think to be really successful at non-nude you've got to be right up there, top notch and all that. While you may be great and have oodles of experience, your port doesn't really support it. It's not camera-shot duckface bad, but it's not great either.

Maybe hunt down some photographers that do work you like, that would suit you, and get some excellent pics.

Oh, and, yes, sex sells, but that's life, not just PS.

Posted 4 Oct 2012
tomhl
Photographer
tomhl
thedifferentone

I am just curious as to why there is such a high supply of adult style shoots. Is this the reason that I have not recieved much interest - as I refuse to promote myself for adult purposes?

If you pick up any fashion magazine - Wonderland, iD, POP, Vogue , LOVE etc... you will see that the photographs contain alot of nudity.
Personally I don't consider this type of modelling 'adult' , as professional fashion modelling has always had an edge & nudity to it. If you look at the great current fashion models - Kate Moss , Gisele Bundchen, Miranda Kerr & Heidi Klum they all do nude modelling.

You won't get much work with the levels that you have,   but thats a personal choice on how serious you want to be a model.

frown
Posted 4 Oct 2012
Edited by tomhl 4 Oct 2012
There is next to no paid clothed work on Purestorm. Model Mayhem is a better bet for that, but almost all serious fashion work will go through agencies.

Posted 4 Oct 2012
tomhl
You won't get much work with the levels that you have,   but thats a personal choice on how serious you want to be a model.
There is lots of nudity in fashion, but there are some very serious fashion models who don't do nude, notably Coco Rocha. Also any under-18 fashion model; Karlie Kloss for example does nudes now but was a supermodel before she turned 18.
Posted 4 Oct 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
Well - nudity sells - whether that is equated with "sex" and "adult" is another matter.

TF should not be difficult to get as not all of us shoot at higher levels but as people have already said - there's not much paid work around for the majority of clothed models

Posted 4 Oct 2012
Phil_M
Photographer
Phil_M

I will often book a model who is comfortable with higher levels than I actualy need to shoot at.

This is because I have found that many of these models have more confidence and more modelling experience, I guess becuase of the issues with demand as highlighted above

I also like to work with the same model several times so again it's easy to do this if the model can fill the require brief whatever it is.

Posted 4 Oct 2012
1919_Images
Photographer
1919_Images
There's nothing wrong with your look and youre the type of model I'd shoot with but unfortunately your negative [neutral] reference would put me off.
Posted 4 Oct 2012
Edited by WebModerator 4 Oct 2012
I started off on this site believing I could make a living out of fashion and lingerie modelling... I now shoot adult!!
Posted 4 Oct 2012
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
PhilMairs
I will often book a model who is comfortable with higher levels than I actualy need to shoot at.
I do this, but also so that I don't have to spend a shoot worrying about whats on show and where and what we can use to block this that and the other.
Posted 4 Oct 2012
PhilMairs
I will often book a model who is comfortable with higher levels than I actualy need to shoot at. This is because I have found that many of these models have more confidence and more modelling experience, I guess becuase of the issues with demand as highlighted above
I have found a lot of photographers are doing this paying for nude/adult rates just so the model is more comfortable and doesn't have to worry if her bits are seen or not, but the photographers don't actually want adult photos.
Posted 4 Oct 2012
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
A key source of work and money comes from internet business. Video is a central element of this. Stills largely exist as a tool to help promote videos. This means that, in large part, the producer is looking for performers or actresses. Not passive models. Even when what's being shot isn't hardcore, it's often the models who are established at higher levels who have the track record in performance and acting. They're used to talking and carrying out actions on video.

Posted 4 Oct 2012
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
There are a few fashion models on here who are fully booked, but they have to be exceptional, such as Karcia ...

I have eight shoots booked for fashion between now and the end of the year. None of these fashion models was booked on here. MM is where they tend to hang out or that new site.

Two advantages are if you can shoot from home and if you are either very good at makeup or are a trained/qualified MUA as well as being a model. If you shoot a fashion model then the cost of hiring the model, studio and MUA makes it a very expensive proposition. There does not seem to be much point in hiring a fashion model without a MUA.
Posted 4 Oct 2012
Edited by tarmoo 4 Oct 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join