Time for nothing - How often has it happened to you?

Time for nothing - How often has it happened to you?

48 posts
1 Oct 2012
Out of curiosity how often have you arranged TFP / CD and simply not received a thing?

I have had a couple (from another site) that I'm yet to even see a glimpse of a photo,(From months ago) which is a shame as cars dont run for free but I expect the photographers have their reasons.
Just wondered if it was quite normal?

Posted 1 Oct 2012
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
Nope. Not normal.

Posted 1 Oct 2012
RossMcC
Photographer
RossMcC
If it were me and the images weren't up to scratch then I'd rather reimburse the model for travel etc. than have the pictures see the cold light of day.

Posted 1 Oct 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
It might be commonplace on other sites where one party might be inclined to take advantage of the other without fear of repercussions. You might be better off making such arrangements on Purestorm - assuming you can find the right photographers for the styles you're after here.

Posted 1 Oct 2012
mgphotomedia
It might be commonplace on other sites where one party might be inclined to take advantage of the other without fear of repercussions. You might be better off making such arrangements on Purestorm - assuming you can find the right photographers for the styles you're after here.
Yea I have found the photographers on here much more reliable
Posted 1 Oct 2012
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
The beautiful model I've shown in my profile, "Unknown Model(currently)", has never collected her prints from me, despite me having told her they're ready and waiting for collection. She works just down the road from me, I see her regularly. Always friendly, always amenable to do another shoot,always says yes she must collect her prints, - but then never available, never does collect them, .... about fifty 7x5's, three 16 x 12's, Fuji Premium photographic paper traditionally printed, highest quality, .... now't so strange as folk as they say. Seems it's not everyone who really wants them!
I agree with Socialdisaster, not "normal" indeed unacceptable for a photographer not to provide them within a reasonable time.

Posted 1 Oct 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I thought it was commonplace for this to happen to models (judging from a close friend's experience). Pick photographers wisely and don't be afraid to leave negative feedback is all you can do. As for these two shoots - simply move on as their images were probably crap anyway (they usually are when they hold back).
Posted 1 Oct 2012
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
There's been plenty of posts concerning models on here not getting images from photographer's. Happens on all sites it just shouldn't. All models that shoot with me walk away with a disc of images. For TFP it's the least they should expect. Or at the very least edited ones within a month.

Posted 1 Oct 2012
RossMcC
Photographer
RossMcC
To be fair an amount of crap is still sent out to models from so-called reliable photographers. I think it's better for the photographer to hold back the pictures providing (s)he explains why they're doing this rather than send out drivel which will do themselves and the models no good at all.

Posted 1 Oct 2012
Its not the norm but it does happen.
Out of the 25-30 shoots ive had, only one photographer didnt send me photos even after me sending emails asking when they were to be sent. He made a stupid excuse about me having goosebumps and it'd ruined the photos!

Then I had another photographer take months to send a set of photos, after trying for weeks to chase them up and he finally sent them, I were even more disappointed when I got the photos sent over, my seven year old nephew could have done a better job! His existing photos in his port were much better compared to mine which I think annoyed me the most that he'd made little effort.

My advice if you're working TF is to be VERY careful and selective who you work with cos things like this happen if you dont choose wisely, its really frustating and time wasting x

Posted 1 Oct 2012
It's happened to me quite a few times. I use to get really upset and try chasing up the photographers but now I get over it quicker and if I still want the pictures I just arrange a similar shoot with another photographer I know will be reliable. It is annoying when it's something that you won't be able to easily recreate again though. It's also a waste of a day off work, especially if I've had to travel a long way.

Posted 1 Oct 2012
It's not normal. Send the photographer an invoice for your expenses and loss of payment.

Posted 1 Oct 2012
It's not normal. Send the photographer an invoice for your expenses and loss of payment.

Posted 1 Oct 2012
Its not not normal and you deserve better,,frankly.
A TFP/CD agreement is a verbal contract, and you have given your time, effort and expense, at the very least this requires a very good excuse from the photographer in question.
x
Posted 1 Oct 2012

I've had this happen to me, or the sets I have wanted from the shoot never materialises.
I'm not one to run around and chase things up though, I did leave a negative once on here after waiting around 2 months.
Back then you could put reasons in for the negative feedback - my reason was something like "His communications prior to the shoot were fine but I have mailed him several times since and these have went ignored. If he didn't like any of the shots I would prefer him to be honest with me and just tell me rather than avoid me".
About an hour later he sent me a link to all the proof images and told me to select any I liked, I only really liked 1 of them enough to get him to edit it so he edited that one, apologised and said it wasn't that he didn't like the images just that he had been busy" - I never used the image on any of my portfolios, I think when an experience is bad I don't really want to advertise or use their work at all. If the image had been better I might have felt differently.

Another time - early on into my modelling I was sent images, I wish I wasn't to be honest because not one of them were anything like what his portfolio showed. Ofcourse he forgot to tell me he usually shoots in a studio and has his lights set up for him, unfortunately he was unable to recreate that in his spare room. He told me he would "work on them" and send them again, amazingly after editing they looked even worse. So it was time for nothing, the images were shocking and among the worst I have ever seen of myself. I have never recommended him to anybody not only for the quality of images but he was a bit of a creepoid anyway.. If somebody asks me what I think of an image then I'm always honest.

I would rather somebody say straight after the shoot "look it wasn't working, the pictures are not very good" than have them fob me off saying they are too busy to edit the images (yet they have time to edit shots from shoots after mine. We all have "off" days but when people bullshit me it just annoys the crap out of me.

I did once do a TF shoot and the photographer eventually sent me out a bunch of images, all of which looked quite bad. I was honest with him and said I expected better images from us collaborating and mentioned the lack of editing compared to his portfolio images. He sent me a disk of all the images taken on the shoot - apologised and told me I could edit and use them as I please but not credit him with them - which I did. There were some crackers on that disk I was insanely happy with.

Posted 1 Oct 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join