Rates

22 posts
17 Sep 2012
I know this subject has been covered many before. But what would you suggest I should charge for my modeling rates, I'm pretty new to the scene x

Posted 17 Sep 2012
Whatever people are willing to pay I guess.

Some might only want to pay £5 an hour, others might pay more..

Posted 17 Sep 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
Certainly has - you have posted it 4 times! Perhaps delete the other three - quickly before someone posts on them and you can't?

Posted 17 Sep 2012
mph
Certainly has - you have posted it 4 times! Perhaps delete the other three - quickly before someone posts on them and you can't?
woopsie, stupid computer x
Posted 17 Sep 2012
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
I would say £15/hr up to nude is a good rate for you until you get more experience.
Posted 17 Sep 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
If you're being asked for rates then I'd suggest the going rate which is around £20 - £25 for nude (but be prepared to negotiate).

If you're not being asked then there's no point worrying about it yet.
Posted 17 Sep 2012
Edited by mgphotomedia 17 Sep 2012
tarmoo

I would say £15/hr up to nude is a good rate for you until you get more experience.

This is true - there are plenty of very experienced models charging £20-£25 an hour so if you price yourself at the same rate as they do you might struggle.
Posted 17 Sep 2012
laylarc
Model
laylarc
You state on your profile that modelling is a hobby, and I get the impression you would like to be paid from time to time, but you're not thinking of making a full time income from it. This is cool, and plenty of people do this. If I was in your position, I would go for between £15-25 an hour, and part paid, part TF work. The reason I would say £15-25 working up to topless, even though you are inexperienced compared to full time/experienced models, is that you will probably get this from people that want to work with you, because of your look, or that you're in their area etc. You won't get this all the time from everybody, but if you're doing this as a paid hobby, you can afford to cater to the people that will pay this to work with a model that they want to work with on a paid basis. If it is also a hobby and you enjoy the pictures, you could also work for a reduced rate, in return for a selection of edited images. For example, £10-15 an hour, and six to ten edited images of your choice from the shoot. Despite the huuuuuggge controversy that seems to surround models being paid AND getting to use the images on their ports, I have found that hobbyists are often more than happy to pay a reasonable rate, and are often happy to let you use an image on your port, if you ask them nicely & don't take the piss. So as one model to another - ask for a decent (not over the top) rate and hold out for it, provided you've already made your mind up to be a damned good model to work with
Posted 18 Sep 2012
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
As it's not been mentioned if you do start charging for your time. You will have to declare to the tax man these earnings. Also change your status as amateur to professional. Then become a silver or gold member on here to create paid casting calls. Didn't want to be the one to bring reality crashing down around you.
Posted 18 Sep 2012
Chrissie_Red
Whatever people are willing to pay I guess. Some might only want to pay £5 an hour, others might pay more..
£5 an hour?! Minimum wage is £6.08! OP, charge what you think your time is worth. I would recommend a £20/hour start, then up it if you find people are potentially willing to pay more. You'll have to up it annually anyway because of inflation, and everything else increases in line with that. I personally charge POA and enter into negotiations with photographers based on their individual needs. I have a basic rate but add to that factors such as how far i would be travelling (I try and include that for everywhere within an hour of me), what i'd be shooting etc. I also take into account whether they're a student etc, sometimes I keep the NUS on-side and offer 10% off rate. It all depends on what you think your time, look and talent are worth to the client.
Posted 25 Sep 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
AbiHillModel

£5 an hour?! Minimum wage is £6.08! OP, charge what you think your time is worth.

Well - to be pedantic the minimum wage is actually £4.98 an hour at the OP's age. laugh
Posted 25 Sep 2012
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
AbiHillModel
OP, charge what you think your time is worth.
Half way there. You forgot to add on "And be prepared to rethink it if noone want's to pay that" Rates are like recommended prices. If a shop displayed an item for 99.99, it doesn't mean that's it's worth, if they never sell it.
Posted 25 Sep 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
AbiHillModel

£5 an hour?! Minimum wage is £6.08!

Actually, the minimum wage for an 18-20 year old (the op is 19) is £4.98 per hour.

And for a 19 year old apprentice it's £2.60 per hour...
Posted 25 Sep 2012
mgphotomedia
Actually, the minimum wage for an 18-20 year old (the op is 19) is £4.98 per hour. And for a 19 year old apprentice it's £2.60 per hour...
Apprentice model? If I ever see that advertised I may well rip my hair out and do the haka in sheer disbelief. All things relative, OP is worth more than £5/hour.
Posted 25 Sep 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
AbiHillModel

Apprentice model? If I ever see that advertised I may well rip my hair out and do the haka in sheer disbelief. All things relative, OP is worth more than £5/hour.

From the profile notes of a model on here:

"I have had nearly 100 shoots as training for modelling and I am now looking for fully paid work "

I could link you to the website of the photographer responsible for poviding her and other models with said 'training' but I don't think you'd appreciate all the naked cartwheels! LOL
Posted 25 Sep 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join