thinking of ditching my dreads but unsure!

thinking of ditching my dreads but unsure!

17 posts
17 Sep 2012
Hi
Well I currently have very long natural dreadlocks they are past my waist
I am classed more as an alternative model due to my dreads piercings and tattoos
Now I like my dreads but also love vintage so adore 1940's victory rolls and waves its impossible to do these sort of styles with dreads
Without covering them with a long wig and styling the wig
So im getting fed up of doing this
But as im an alt model im unsure of whether ditching them is the right move as they give me an obviously completely different look
Do you think I would get less work on the more alt side if I do get rid?i mean I dont know if they potentially give me an edge and set me apart?ive not seen many models with long dreads-sure they are there though!
What would you do?
Just carry on wearing a wig for certain styles or ditch them?
Ps wouldnt be until end of the year start of next if I do
Kitty

Posted 17 Sep 2012
Edited by unendingsleep 17 Sep 2012
BaileyK
Model
BaileyK
You cover them in every single image.
Have you got any where you are showing them?
x

Whoops just seen one..It was hiding haha.
Got any images where you are showing them in their full glory shall I say x
Posted 17 Sep 2012
Edited by BaileyK 17 Sep 2012
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I say ditch the dreadlocks as it will be limiting the people who would be interested in shooting you.

Posted 17 Sep 2012
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
I say stick with the dreads as its who you are!

Posted 17 Sep 2012
I now have a photo on my profile of my dreads down

Posted 18 Sep 2012
Matt_Dobson
Photographer
Matt_Dobson
I'd be more likely to book you with them, if I lived in the UK. As an alternative model it gives you something different. You could do with a better shot to sell them though. The one you just put up with the dreads down is weaker than the rest of your port.

Posted 18 Sep 2012
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
Matt_Dobson
I'd be more likely to book you with them, if I lived in the UK. As an alternative model it gives you something different. You could do with a better shot to sell them though. The one you just put up with the dreads down is weaker than the rest of your port.
I agree with all that... except I am in the UK
Posted 18 Sep 2012
Thanks I wasnt on my pc so put one from dropbox up just to show them I have others that show them better on my pc that I will replace that with
Posted 18 Sep 2012
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Just seen the picture and I think you should keep them. You do a very good job of hiding them if asked to.

Posted 18 Sep 2012
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
unendingsleep
Thanks I wasnt on my pc so put one from dropbox up just to show them I have others that show them better on my pc that I will replace that with
If you are ever in my area, give me a shout, I would love to shoot you WITH dreads out!
Posted 18 Sep 2012
darrenbrade
Photographer
darrenbrade
Your port is a bit odd since you hide them in all but two photos.

I think as an alternative model they would give you an edge.

Try embracing them rather than hiding them and that will give you a better idea if to keep them.

Once they are gone, it will take years to get them back.

Posted 20 Sep 2012
I have done quite a bit of vintage style and my dreads dont lend well to that style
I have a few with my dreads down but feel until I can add more photos I only need a few that show them just so people can see t.hem
I see your point though but I have never really been booked as an alt model although I obv have that style
When I upgrade I shall add more to my port-always find it hard to choose which pics to put up!

Mike-thankyou
I do travel alot and have checked travel time I have traveled further before now!

Posted 20 Sep 2012
LEGENDACB
Photographer
LEGENDACB
I agree with mike dreads are awesome and are deffo your unique selling point and like mike if your traveling to the good old north id love 2 shoot got loads of ideas that wil do you n your dreads justice xxx
Posted 20 Sep 2012
Thanks
Love your digital work!
If im that way will drop you a pm
Travel distance isnt an issue travelled over five hours to shoots before!however money-as usual and typical for most of us is lolas I travel by train

Posted 20 Sep 2012
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
unendingsleep
Mike-thankyou I do travel alot and have checked travel time I have traveled further before now!
Well, the offer is open if you ever want to, or want to cover my travel costs
Posted 20 Sep 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join