[What Do You Expect From] TFP ??

[What Do You Expect From] TFP ??

17 posts
15 Sep 2012
Hiya! I was just wondering... Obviously everyone is different, but what do YOU expect from a TFP shoot? Do you like to have a CD of all unedits + a few edits, if so, how many? When do you expect the edits? How long do you usually shoot? Who covers travel.... Random query Xx
Posted 15 Sep 2012
bartman11
Photographer
bartman11
It will change from shoot to shoot i would have thought.

Decide and discuss with the photographer then choose who to shoot with from there.

Posted 15 Sep 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
As a general rule avoid anybody that offers a dvd/cd rammed full of images.

Posted 15 Sep 2012
Brian_Markie
Photographer
Brian_Markie
Lucie Jae according to some other peeps POV Tf should be non existant. Have a look at the other forum topic concerning TF shoots.

Posted 15 Sep 2012
Follyhouse
Photographer
Follyhouse
Brian_Markie

POV Tf should be non existant.

Quite

Posted 15 Sep 2012
Follyhouse
Photographer
Follyhouse
lucie_jae

Hiya! I was just wondering... Obviously everyone is different, but what do YOU expect from a TFP shoot? Do you like to have a CD of all unedits + a few edits, if so, how many? When do you expect the edits? How long do you usually shoot? Who covers travel.... Random query Xx

As you say, everyone is different; it's something to be discussed/negotiated/agreed with each photographer prior to a shoot.  Only then can you really judge if a time trade arrangement is likely to be beneficial for you. 
Posted 15 Sep 2012
I was just wondering what models/togs prefer personally. Just to see if I'm on the right guidelines Don't think there's a right or wrong answer x
Posted 15 Sep 2012
POV?? - not come across that term before? (Maybe I have just not abbreviated lol)

Posted 15 Sep 2012
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
mgphotomedia
As a general rule avoid anybody that offers a dvd/cd rammed full of images.
Why? When i do a shoot i will give the model a DVD with 3 files. File 1 will include ALL the photos - unedited. Then she/her can do what they please or learn from some of their poses and find what works and what doesnt. File 2 will include a selection of edited photos of mine and the models choice. This can be anything between 10 and 30. File 3 will be all the edited ones but at a reduced size for web (saving the model time). Why should someone avoid me? er, apart from the sarcastic comments someone will now make POV = Point Of View.
Posted 15 Sep 2012
Edited by Sarge 15 Sep 2012
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Images - How Many

Posting CDs is a pain, so getting the photos by downloading them from a gallery is a lot quicker, cheaper and more convenient. Most experienced photographers shoot in RAW mode and then convert the images to JPEGs during the editing process. It can take 30 minutes or more to edit a photo properly, so asking for lots of images means that the photographer to spend a huge amount of time editing photos. A reasonable number of edited images is four per hour of the shoot - e.g. 12 for a three hour shoot. Any photographer who offers a CD full of all the images (JPegs) on a TF shoot should be avoided. One great edited shot is worth more than 100 poor unedited ones.

Many photographers will select candidates for edits and put these up in an online gallery for the model to select which of the photos they like, e.g. the model might be asked to select 12 photos from a set of 20.

Expenses

The most common scenario is that the photographer covers the cost of hiring a studio and both model and photographer are responsible for their own travel cost. In some cases the photographer may give the model something to cover travel. I usually give a model £20 to £30 to travel travel, and so far non have failed to turn up. A lot of models for TF no show because they realise they have not got the funds at the last minute to travel to the shoot.

Time to Receive Images

You might expect to get a couple of shots within a couple of days and the rest within 2 weeks. It is best to fix a timescale before the shoot is arranged e.g. three hour shoot, 12 edited images within 2 weeks. If you don't see your images within a month, you are unlikely to ever see them. Don't leave feedback for a photographer until you have received the images and tell the photographer that if they do not keep their part of the bargain they will get a negative feedback.
Posted 15 Sep 2012
Edited by tarmoo 15 Sep 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
lucie_jae

POV?? - not come across that term before? (Maybe I have just not abbreviated lol)

Bear in mind it has another possible meaning - or context at least - related to model photography which is outside the realms of this site. (also see Gonzo)
Posted 15 Sep 2012
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
Sarge
Why? When i do a shoot i will give the model a DVD with 3 files. File 1 will include ALL the photos - unedited. Then she/her can do what they please or learn from some of their poses and find what works and what doesnt. File 2 will include a selection of edited photos of mine and the models choice. This can be anything between 10 and 30. File 3 will be all the edited ones but at a reduced size for web (saving the model time). Why should someone avoid me? er, apart from the sarcastic comments someone will now make POV = Point Of View.
Forgot to mention, what i also do is either email some images over to the model on the evening or add them to FaceBook if they wish so they can see some that night.
Posted 15 Sep 2012
Personally - I like maybe a couple of edited images from a set - the ones the photographer has selected will do me nicely.
When i collaborate its generally with people who's work I admire, I trust their judgement when it comes to images after all my portfolio is to attract other photographers.
I like websized images either sent via e-mail or a hosting website. I dislike CD's and I have no space on my computer for unedited full sized images. If I want a picture at full res for my print portfolio then it would be nice to receive a couple of them too if I ask..

I have always covered my own travel expenses, a couple of times I have paid half of the studio hire costs also.

So I expect maybe about 10 images from a 4 hour shoot, I would prefer them to be sent via e-mail. I don't want full size raw images because they are useless to me. I prefer getting edited images back as quickly as possible but happy to wait up to 3 weeks - any longer and I start to get a little frustrated. The best time frame though is within a few days, I like photographers to be as bouncy as me after a shoot and want to edit the pictures because they are excited by them. On the rare occasions I've had to wait much longer I've ended up not using the images at all.

Posted 15 Sep 2012
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Depends entirely on the style of shoot. Two or three retouched beauty shots are a lot of work.

12 lightly edited natural light "pretty" shots may be quite easy to do.

Also, the quality of the photography should be taken into account - not something that you can necessarily judge as you only see the finished picture - but most people who are competant behind the camera can make a photo look great with some post work.

Be honest with the photographer before hand if you have any skin or body parts you feel need a bit more editing than the normal model spots and marks - it means you both get off onto the right foot and can concentrate on getting some great images. Any extra editing will increase the time taken - but you want the right number of well produced images, not lots of mediochre ones.

A few people can edit well, there are a fair few who are competant at editing but also a lot of people either edit badly or not at all.
Posted 15 Sep 2012
Edited by Gerry99111 15 Sep 2012
-Best ten images, within a month unless otherwise stated. Any more than that are no use to me. I normally only put 2 or 3 in my book at a time.

-No/minimal watermark so I can use them in print and online portfolios (my agency prefer unwatermarked images wherever possible).

-Professional looking retouching. Aka no excessively blurry skin, weird colour replacements or anything that looks like a myspace edit for some scene kid. I need it to look like me, not look like what i'd look like if Mattel made "plus size barbie"

Posted 15 Sep 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join