Messages received that are negative .....

Messages received that are negative .....

50 posts
14 Sep 2012
Messages received that are negative, rude, nasty & unprofessional....
I applied to a casting call today - there was an age limit however, although I am a mature model, I am usually told I look younger than my age - so - depending on the casting, I sometimes apply. Even if I am not suitable for that particular shoot, often photographers wish to book me for another shoot anyway.

In all my time as a model, I have never received a reply from a photographer that is rude, unpleasant or hurtful - I expect photographers who have posted casting calls to be serious, professional at all times and not have time to waste sending hurtful messages to models - what would they gain from this?

I applied to as casting call today and received a reply from the photographer - it said something along the lines of "you look much older than your profile states" he may have been suggesting I lied about my age possibly - but was definitely out to undermine my confidence - perhaps other professionals could explain why someone would behave like this? Would it not be more professional to say "you are not suitable for this casting call" or just not reply at all.?

I am a popular, hard working, published model. I have not been told you look older before. I have never lied about my age as I look great for my age & am proud of how I look.

I am surprised by this & cannot understand why this photographer has been so unkind to me.

Thankfully this has never happened to me before - you need a lot of confidence in this business and this sort of thing can damage it.
Posted 14 Sep 2012
Edited by WebModerator 24 Sep 2012
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
Rude emails from both sides are, unfortunately, a fact of the anonymity provided by the internet. I've had two exceptionally rude emails from two models in reply to my current CC.

Posted 14 Sep 2012
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
Ah the "There is an age limit but...." reply.

I'm afraid when it says there is an age limit, it's due to someone thinking the casting call through and determining that yes, bloody hell there has to be an age limit.

When you get stupid buggers with the first line of their mail saying "I know it says the uppper age limit is xxxx but people say I look younger" you want to throw the bloody PC out the window.

You could say, it's rather frustrating getting those emails when you go to all that thought in the casting text.

Posted 14 Sep 2012
cathyduck1969

I applied to a casting call today - there was an age limit however, although I am a mature model, I am usually told I look younger than my age - so - depending on the casting, I sometimes apply. Even if I am not suitable for that particular shoot, often photographers wish to book me for another shoot anyway. In all my time as a model, I have never received a reply from a photographer that is rude, unpleasant or hurtful - I expect photographers who have posted casting calls to be serious, professional at all times and not have time to waste sending hurtful messages to models - what would they gain from this? I applied to as casting call today and received a reply from the photographer - it said something along the lines of "you look much older than your profile states" he may have been suggesting I lied about my age possibly - but was definitely out to undermine my confidence - perhaps other professionals could explain why someone would behave like this? Would it not be more professional to say "you are not suitable for this casting call" or just not reply at all.? I am a popular, hard working, published model. I have not been told you look older before. I have never lied about my age as I look great for my age & am proud of how I look. I am surprised by this & cannot understand why this photographer has been so unkind to me. Thankfully this has never happened to me before - you need a lot of confidence in this business and this sort of thing can damage it.

Now whereas I feel the reply was harsh its possible that the photographer had a very bad day where he had placed up a casting and got a shedload of unsuitable models applying, its bound to cause a certain amount of frustration.
I dont agree with him/her being so mean mind, but next time perhaps rather than applying for a casting you are not suitable for/dont fit the description for just drop the photographer a wee line (seperate from the casting call) explaining that you saw the casting, realised you were not suitable but perhaps in the future if there would be something you were suitable for they might consider you.
Posted 14 Sep 2012
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
Keltica

Ah the "There is an age limit but...." reply.

Not a reason for rudeness or being nasty. Simply replying with a 'thanks for your interest but you do not meet the specifications that I have'  would have been fair enough. Sounds like we have found a photographer diva.
Posted 14 Sep 2012
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
Firstly, there is a clear distinction between professional and polite, so dont think the 2 are the same. You said there was an age limit? What was this? You wasted your time and his by applying for a casting your were not suitable for as it stated an age that fell outside of yours (presumably). So the photographer replied wasting his and your time and being down right nasty and rude, that there IS no excuse for i agree and he has shown himself for what he really is. Cathy, i know you havent asked for a portfolio review, but some of the photos you look older/younger than in others and they possibly dont do you any favours. I think you do look lovely on some of them however (you are the same age as me too). It may benefit asking for a review of your portfolio. At the end of the day, you applied for a casting that you were not suitable for. There was NO NEED to be rude, and the photographer should have either ignored or said 'thanks, but no thanks'. Unfortunately the world is full of hurtful people and more so in the modelling game. Dont let it put you off, keep your chin up
Posted 14 Sep 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
May I ask what age limit was on the casting you applied for?

Posted 14 Sep 2012
Edited by mgphotomedia 14 Sep 2012
its often quite rude to ignore the terms of the casting so you made initial unwanted contact

as for being told your old, im 23 and have been told many times on mm i look in my 40's and 50's lol just learn to deal with it this is an industry based on looks

age dosnt have a look - no two people that are the same age will ever look the same but based on how my family look and my mam who is a year older then you then unfortunately you do look older not being nasty just an opinion based on the other people i know who are close to your age

that dosnt mean you cant be a great model and of course you should receive courteous reply's but i dont believe that was massively offensive it just states the photographers opinion of you being unsuitable to the casting you reply to despite knowing you where unsuitable, you just have to learn there are limitations within modelling for everyone and your is unfortunately your age

Posted 14 Sep 2012
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
I've sometimes received replies to casting calls (or occasionally just preemptive messages) from models who acknowledge that they don't fit a particular requirement that they know I'm seeking, but are letting me know they'd be interested in case different circumstances crop up. I honestly don't see anything wrong in this. The casting, or a reference to profile notes or the nature of my projects that they've seen, are conversational opportunities to make an approach, and a deliberately nasty reply isn't called for.

If a model replies to a casting and clearly doesn't fit the criteria stated and it isn't an approach of the kind mentioned above, then it's hard not — at the very least — to recall Peter Cooke explaining to the one-legged actor (who was applying for the role of Tarzan) "Need I say without overmuch emphasis that it is in the leg division that you are deficient." Whether it is impolite not to convert this into a white lie is debatable.
Posted 14 Sep 2012
Edited by skymouse 14 Sep 2012
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
rattusratus

its often quite rude to ignore the terms of the casting so you made initial unwanted contact as for being told your old, im 23 and have been told many times on mm i look in my 40's and 50's lol just learn to deal with it this is an industry based on looks age dosnt have a look - no two people that are the same age will ever look the same but based on how my family look and my mam who is a year older then you then unfortunately you do look older not being nasty just an opinion based on the other people i know who are close to your age that dosnt mean you cant be a great model and of course you should receive courteous reply's but i dont believe that was massively offensive it just states the photographers opinion of you being unsuitable to the casting you reply to despite knowing you where unsuitable, you just have to learn there are limitations within modelling for everyone and your is unfortunately your age

what about twins?sad
Posted 14 Sep 2012
damn didnt think of that lol
Posted 14 Sep 2012
It is not uncommon for Moderators to receive complaints of a "rude reply" from members who believe their age or stats or look or preferences should be unimportant when they apply for a casting call ..... but likewise it is not uncommon for us to receive complaints of a "rude reply" from members in response to them telling another members they think it is unreasonable to be approached for work by those who pay scant attention to age or size or look or levels requirements in a casting call.

Email responses can often be rather impersonal and can sometimes even seem rude when no rudeness is intended, and not every member is necessarily eloquent in their correspondence. Please consider that for almost every member who feels offended or slighted by the wording of a request or a rejection in a Personal Message email  there may well be another member who feels equally offended or slighted by the other side of the communication.

Modelling very often depends on specific age / statistics / look requirements and if a member clearly states a specific requirement in a casting call which generates a number of responses from those who are clearly unsuitable it is perhaps understandable if they take umbrage and reply in what may appear to be a frank or brusque fashion. Indeed some members, from both sides of the photographer / model divide, have on more than one occasion asked Moderators if nothing can be done to stop "timewasters" applying for casting calls they are unsuitable for.
Posted 14 Sep 2012
Edited by WebModerator 14 Sep 2012
I am always polite no matter what. There is NO excuse. I am always busy with work too so I know I'm doing it right. I think my portfolio is doing exactly what I want & need otherwise I wouldn't get booked as much. I will be adding & removing some pictures as I have done all along. I put casting calls up myself & have been inundated with replies - some great some not - I was courteous to everybody. I would never say to a photographer - you're work is not good enough - I would say thanks but no thanks. I have got work from photographers who have posted cc that where not suitable for me. Perhaps it's better to just message the photographer under a separate message. I don't have an issue with my age, nor do I have an issue with people that think I look older or younger - I have an issue with rude people though! There was no reason for what he said 'twice' except to undermine my confidence & be rude. I think the way he wrote it & the manner in which it was delivered was extremely unprofessional. I am successful & there is no reason why I should not continue to be. Luckily I have not come across anyone like this before. It has put me off applying for CCs though - it's not something I have ever done before as I have not needed to. I think I will just put my own CCs up from now on - as & when needed. The one good thing is - thank god I don't have to work with someone who is arrogant enough to believe he can carry on that way & it not back fire. Really interesting feedback from everyone - thank you!
Posted 14 Sep 2012
cathyduck1969

I have got work from photographers who have posted cc that where not suitable for me.

It has put me off applying for CCs though - it's not something I have ever done before as I have not needed to.

that contradicted itself
Posted 14 Sep 2012
cathyduck1969

I don't have to work with someone who is arrogant enough to believe he can carry on that way & it not back fire.

It could be argued that some people would find  individuals applying to a casting that they are not suitable for despite specifications being given as a similar situation.

Posted 14 Sep 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join