My half sleeve is turning into a full sleeve next week ... Good or bad...

My half sleeve is turning into a full sleeve next week ... Good or bad thing

40 posts
5 Sep 2012
So I plan on getting my half sleeve made into a full sleeve on Monday... I feel that as i already have the half there's no harm in getting it continued down my arm? Do you think this will be detrimental to my career or could I get more work due to it?
Posted 5 Sep 2012
I am talking about tattoos ... I case anyone wondered! Haha

Posted 5 Sep 2012
comemodelling
Photographer
comemodellin..
Its All Good Babe !!

Posted 5 Sep 2012
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
Difficult one to answer.
I personally dislike tatoos and it would therefore put me off slightly.
But some people really like them and may be more likely to want to work with you.

Some doors will close and some will open.

I dont have anything against them as such (my sister has several), but dont see the novalty/attraction in them personally. They look ok when first done but look a mess as they fade to mucky green/blue. They may look great now, but as tastes change they may look outdated and laughable in a couple of years time.

I think models without tatoos will always get more work from a wider audience, where tatood models are more niche. I dont base this theory on any evidence, only my personal views and opinions.

Posted 5 Sep 2012
BicycleRacer
Photographer
BicycleRacer
Put me on your list to work with please Zoe
Posted 5 Sep 2012
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
I really don't know, it has never been on my list of things to shoot. Until yesterday that was, I shot Miss Tonnii, on here, who has a considerable amount of tattoos. It was my first shoot with someone who one might call a tattooed model and I wasn't sure how to approach it. Whatever anyone else thinks of the images, several at the top of my portfolio, I am pretty pleased with them and it has driven me to now look at more tattooed models, in fact, one has already contacted me after seeing them. No doubt, it is more of a niche than mainstream glamour etc, but with the trend of young women getting "plastered" in them, I guess more and more photographers will become more accepting of them and they will become a mainstream genre rather than a niche. My biggest concern is not now, it is when some girls become 40 year old chubbas and what they will look like on the beach. Living in Paignton, I see some rare sights, you know, the ones you can't unsee Not that I could ever see you like that. Christ, digging a hole now, I'm off!
Posted 5 Sep 2012
CJI01
Photographer
CJI01
I love tats.
After a recent chat with a predominate Men's mag pic editor.
The publications seem to hate them.

Posted 5 Sep 2012
Follyhouse
Photographer
Follyhouse
Liking this lots.
Posted 5 Sep 2012
kimmy99
Model
kimmy99
mattharper

I really don't know, it has never been on my list of things to shoot. Until yesterday that was, I shot Miss Tonnii, on here, who has a considerable amount of tattoos.
It was my first shoot with someone who one might call a tattooed model and I wasn't sure how to approach it. Whatever anyone else thinks of the images, several at the top of my portfolio, I am pretty pleased with them and it has driven me to now look at more tattooed models, in fact, one has already contacted me after seeing them.

No doubt, it is more of a niche than mainstream glamour etc, but with the trend of young women getting "plastered" in them, I guess more and more photographers will become more accepting of them and they will become a mainstream genre rather than a niche.

My biggest concern is not now, it is when some girls become 40 year old chubbas and what they will look like on the beach. Living in Paignton, I see some rare sights, you know, the ones you can't unsee Not that I could ever see you like that. Christ, digging a hole now, I'm off!

. Remind me not to go down to Devon next year when I become a 40 year old chuba . I love your new images by the way.

Posted 5 Sep 2012
Edited by WebModerator 6 Sep 2012
Follyhouse
Photographer
Follyhouse
zoepinknose

So I plan on getting my half sleeve made into a full sleeve on Monday... I feel that as i already have the half there's no harm in getting it continued down my arm? Do you think this will be detrimental to my career or could I get more work due to it?

I don't think the difference between a half and full sleeve would make too much difference to potential photographers - at least those shooting without a view to publication.  Depends on how relevant publication is to your career and whether you're aiming for versatility or targetting a specfic market.    
Posted 5 Sep 2012
photo_phil
Photographer
photo_phil
Follyhouse
Liking this lots.
Really?
Posted 6 Sep 2012
photo_phil
Photographer
photo_phil
There's going to be a market for it, but how many photographers are going to want it I don't know.
Tattoos on models isn't my thing but it's your body so only you can really answer.

Posted 6 Sep 2012
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
You already have the half sleeve and tattoos on the bottom half of the same arm. Therefore connecting the two sections up to make a full sleeve probably isn't going to make much difference as the people who don't like tattoos will probably have crossed you off already. Having a full size might actually make you of more interest to photographers who do like tattoos.

If you're wanting to make money from your work then I'm not entirely sure it's the best route to take though as you will be limiting your potential markets.

Posted 6 Sep 2012
Edited by HowardJ 6 Sep 2012
twentytwenty
Photographer
twentytwenty
The old school are always going to jump on the don't do it bandwagon.with the "We would never book you answer" most of those would never book you anyway cause yer bloody miles away from them.

If its what you want to do. then go do it. just a shame your miles away.

Posted 6 Sep 2012
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
HowardJ

a full sleeve probably isn't going to make much difference as the people who don't like tattoos will probably have crossed you off already.

Pretty much nails it.

The only question really is is the full sleeve going to bring you more work or lose work with the tattoo lovers? I'd assume it would be at worst a neutral move, so it's down to personal preference.
Posted 6 Sep 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join