Payment problems

26 posts
3 Sep 2012
I did some work for a company recently and sent them an invoice of payment. One and a half weeks later I still haven't been paid. I contacted them and they said there was a problem with my invoice. I fixed the problem (it was a layout issue) and resent it. This was on Thursday. They replied saying that the money should be in my account Monday. It isn't. I emailed them and I've had no response.

Usually I'd wait it out but I'm supposed to work for them again soon but I don't want to work for them whilst panicking that they might not pay me. I don't know what to do.

Any advice? x

Posted 3 Sep 2012
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Seems a bit early to start worrying too much. If you are sure they are a reputable company hold on a bit longer would be my advice

Posted 3 Sep 2012
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
Perhaps your account doesn't show Mondays transactions until close of business? Check with your bank to see if you have any action on your account not yet shown.

If not, phone them, explain the payment hasn't shown as promised and ask for a solution.

If they don't, then just cancel the future work. No point in working for someone who isn't going to pay you. It's difficult to do, but there's no point in you being the sucker. Let them tag someone else with that badge.
Posted 3 Sep 2012
You guys are right, I think I'm panicking too early. If the money isn't in my account 9am tomorrow morning, I'll email them. They're a big company (not big as in reputable, though they are, just that they have a lot to do) so I don't want to hassle them with a stupid payment issue.

I'll hold on and if they're not in touch at least by tomorrow, I'll ask for more halp!

Posted 3 Sep 2012
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Bigger the company, slower the payment.
A lot pay at the end of the month then add 2 or 3 days for it to show up in your account.
I wouldn't worry before Thursday morning.

I'm really pleased when I'm paid in 30 days.
Often it's 3 months.

Posted 3 Sep 2012
But they said they would pay me each Friday. Friday came and went, and they assured me the money would be with me on Monday. Monday's here and the money isn't. If they have no intention of paying me on a set date, why say otherwise?

Posted 3 Sep 2012
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Ah - if they are paying every Friday, then the money should arrive on the same day each week.

Mind you, when I pay the kids (from the company account), it takes about 3 days to show up in their bank accounts because they have a different bank from mine.

If they are likely to be a regular customer, I'd give it a few more days.

Posted 3 Sep 2012
LadylikeMedia
Photographer
LadylikeMedia
I know CCbill say they pay every monday but its reaches my bank at 11am tuesday every week - are they an american company? If so I think it takes an additional day (and longer if they have any holidays)

Posted 3 Sep 2012
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
I pay my models in cash on the day. They do the work on time and to agreed levels and I think it only fair to pay them when they have finished. It is the way I was brought up as a Yorkshireman, never a borrower nor a lender be!

On the other hand some companies I deal with can be right sods paying my invoices on time!

I think in this business, especialy if adult content is being shot, a model should have the righful expectation of being paid in cash on the day.

Posted 3 Sep 2012
AegeanSoft
I pay my models in cash on the day. They do the work on time and to agreed levels and I think it only fair to pay them when they have finished. It is the way I was brought up as a Yorkshireman, never a borrower nor a lender be! On the other hand some companies I deal with can be right sods paying my invoices on time! I think in this business, especialy if adult content is being shot, a model should have the righful expectation of being paid in cash on the day.
Though I appreciate the input, this doesn't answer the question at hand, it merely serves as a springboard for you to tell us all the way you conduct your business. It's a good way of doing it, but it's none of my concern. I spoke to the finance director of the company who told me the money would be in my account late today (it isn't) or first thing tomorrow (fingers crossed). If it isn't in there by Thursday, I won't do any more business with the company. I'd rather lose money than lose time chasing it up.
Posted 3 Sep 2012
Hobbeldehoy
Photographer
Hobbeldehoy
Looks like you lost out this time. Better luck next time!

Posted 3 Sep 2012
diipii
Photographer
diipii
Get a brick ready.

Posted 3 Sep 2012
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
One and a half WEEKS!

Many large companies never pay any invoices for three months.
Solicitors often do not pay for a year. I never got a payment for my medical-forensic work in less than a year.

It may be irritating but rather than annoying them and throwing your toys out of the pram and refusing to work for them again think of this. If the pay then the money that they pay is real money. If you do a job for them every month and wait a month for each payment, soon you will be getting a cheque every month.

Posted 3 Sep 2012
AndyH
Photographer
AndyH
Jerome and previous posters have a point.
I have been in similar situations as I am sure have many folk on here. If you have landed a regular piece of paid income then it may not be wise to go all out and say that you are not working simply because this payment has not hit your bank already. There could be all sorts of valid reasons for it not having done so.

Perhaps one possible course of action would be to telephone them again and just inform them that you are still without payment and ask if there is anything you can do to help and that you understand setting these things up can sometimes take a little time. At the same time you should also say that you enjoying doing the work for them and want to make sure that any arrangement is suitable for both parties, after all, you do need to be paid.

If you go for the "I'm not working for you any more" route, you could end up with no pay for what you have already done and the list opportunity which lies in the future.

I hope you manage to get it resolved.

Posted 3 Sep 2012
I got my monies They never set up the standing order as they said they did. I just assume people will do what they say they'll do. MORE FOOL ME. And then I get impatient and annoyed when they don't. Anyway, it's sorted now. Thanks to all who replied! xxx
Posted 3 Sep 2012
Edited by beauvoir 3 Sep 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join