Cancellation tomorrow etc

Cancellation tomorrow etc

33 posts
27 Aug 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
Do some models really get lots of cancellations - some seem to suffer from it persistently judging by the short notice casting calls they continually post?

Or is it just a marketing technique designed to encourage 'white knight' photographers to jump to their financial rescue?

If it's the former then I'm sorry that's the case. If it's the latter then well done for having the nous.

I kinda think most instances fall into the latter category though...
Posted 27 Aug 2012
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
I don't think it's that thought out, as to encourage the whiteknights. But I think it is a useful ploy because you can add things to it like "slightly reduced rates" and so on.

Posted 27 Aug 2012
fizzy
Model
fizzy
I only put up short notice casting calls when I've genuinely had a cancellation but without much hope of them ever getting filled. So far I've not had a single replacement booking from them, just a wasted day and wasted travel expenses, so if it is a marketing strategy for some models, it's not a good one.

Posted 27 Aug 2012
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Some models seem to constantly get cancellations. I wonder what the percentage is and how much notice the typically get. Are these true cancellations or shoots which have not been confirmed.

Posted 27 Aug 2012
Edited by ForumModerator 27 Aug 2012
fizzy
Model
fizzy
This thread is making me irrationally paranoid, haha. Checked over my casting calls and I've put two last minute casting calls out in the last year, both were cancellations on a booked and confirmed shoot, one because the photographer broke his shoulder and another because the photographer had simply forgotten to write the booking down and subsequently forgotten about it. I didn't get a single reply to one of them and the only reply I got to the second one was for a one hour shoot if I had my own location (I didn't and have a two hour booking minimum anyway).

I highly doubt it's some model ploy to get more bookings. Sometimes you are just genuinely unlucky with the people who book you and sometimes it does seem like when it rains it pours and you get a little cluster of cancellations all at the same time.

Posted 27 Aug 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
fizzy

This thread is making me irrationally paranoid, haha..

That wasn't my intention.  But I do wonder whether it's possible to be rationally paranoid!
Posted 27 Aug 2012
Edited by mgphotomedia 27 Aug 2012
fizzy

This thread is making me irrationally paranoid, haha. Checked over my casting calls and I've put two last minute casting calls out in the last year, both were cancellations on a booked and confirmed shoot, one because the photographer broke his shoulder and another because the photographer had simply forgotten to write the booking down and subsequently forgotten about it. I didn't get a single reply to one of them and the only reply I got to the second one was for a one hour shoot if I had my own location (I didn't and have a two hour booking minimum anyway). I highly doubt it's some model ploy to get more bookings. Sometimes you are just genuinely unlucky with the people who book you and sometimes it does seem like when it rains it pours and you get a little cluster of cancellations all at the same time.

2 is NOTHING!!

I see one every week from one model, I think maybe its a follow up to "only have 1 day free left this month" which isn't strictly true so she posts up saying she has had a cancellation. I rarely get them but I rarely fully book myself out so if I get a cancellation then its not a big deal x
Posted 27 Aug 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
Chrissie_Red

2 is NOTHING!!

I see one every week from one model, I think maybe its a follow up to "only have 1 day free left this month" which isn't strictly true so she posts up saying she has had a cancellation. I rarely get them but I rarely fully book myself out so if I get a cancellation then its not a big deal x

I can't quite work out whether you think they're genuine cancellations or some some sort of ploy. But that's the sort of frequency I had in mind when I started the thread.

That disaster chappie seems to make a good point though - they're an oppurtunity to slip in a 'slightly reduced rates' offer, presumably necessary because the generally advertised rates are too high. Makes sense I suppose.
Posted 27 Aug 2012
Edited by mgphotomedia 27 Aug 2012
reason why im quitting

Posted 27 Aug 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
xxmrmthxx

reason why im quitting

Quitting because of cancellations?

Looking at your work references you seem, on the face of it, to be regularly booked - more regularly than many other models here.
Posted 27 Aug 2012
I don't think models put castings up to get a whiteknight photographer to come to there rescue. Usually if you get cancelled it's with 48 hours but you can rarely get another booking as it's at such short notice.

It is annoying when you get cancelled on as it's going to be a day wasted and spesh when it's your full time income you have nothng else to fall back on.

Same with photographers when a model cancels, waste of day unless they post a paid casting then I'm sure there get a shoot.

I do admit I put loads of castings up, sometimes it helps sometimes it don't I don't think every photographer goes on the castings and same with models. But it's better than just sat at your laptop twiddling your thumbs.

Posted 27 Aug 2012
it was going great but after having a shoot in madeira cancelled 14 hours before my flight (i paid for the flight) and the past 2 months having 75% of my bookings cancelled my bills just cant be paid and the interest is rolling so much im having to go back to work. ive got 5 shoots booked in until October what compared to last year is terrible. I know alot of models on here dont shot as much as me but as a full time job its works out im bringing in less than a min wage month

mgphotomedia

Quitting because of cancellations?

Looking at your work references you seem, on the face of it, to be regularly booked - more regularly than many other models here.
Posted 27 Aug 2012
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
I dont tend to surf the castings but when I do glance, I do notice a few regular "late cancellation" individuals.

The thought I am left with is they are not selective enough and seem to accept it as an occupational hazzard rather than do something about it. That [possibly incorrectly] would give me the impression that they accept plenty of cancellations and therefore would be happy to do the same to someone booking as reliability doesnt seem to figure highly.

I am probably wrong in my assumptions in a number of cases, but irrespectively, I would be unlikley to take a chance even on a TFP with that thought in my head.

A model that balances shoot booking with available customers and has alternative source of income for the quiet months is a more attractive prospect than a full time model who is at the mercy of the market and has to become hardenned to individuals.

Posted 27 Aug 2012
Edited by Gerry99111 27 Aug 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
cathfazaxxx

I don't think models put castings up to get a whiteknight photographer to come to there rescue. Usually if you get cancelled it's with 48 hours but you can rarely get another booking as it's at such short notice. It is annoying when you get cancelled on as it's going to be a day wasted and spesh when it's your full time income you have nothng else to fall back on. Same with photographers when a model cancels, waste of day unless they post a paid casting then I'm sure there get a shoot. I do admit I put loads of castings up, sometimes it helps sometimes it don't I don't think every photographer goes on the castings and same with models. But it's better than just sat at your laptop twiddling your thumbs.

I must admit I rarely look at castings.

It would be interesting to know what the ratio of cancellations to shoots that take place is. Is it as high as say one in three?
Posted 27 Aug 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
xxmrmthxx

it was going great but after having a shoot in madeira cancelled 14 hours before my flight (i paid for the flight) and the past 2 months having 75% of my bookings cancelled my bills just cant be paid and the interest is rolling so much im having to go back to work. ive got 5 shoots booked in until October what compared to last year is terrible. I know alot of models on here dont shot as much as me but as a full time job its works out im bringing in less than a min wage month

75% of bookings cancelled - that's much higher than I ever would have guessed!
Posted 27 Aug 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join