Home Studios

39 posts
22 Aug 2012
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
Right, I have a fairly decent sized spare room and have been thinking for a while about getting some brackets up, getting some paper rolls and having my own personal home studio.

The question is, do models feel safe and are you happy shooting in a photographers home? I don't want to get some stuff and then no one want to work with me because they don't like going to photographers homes.

Mike

Posted 22 Aug 2012
andy_h
Photographer
andy_h
The majority of my stuff has been shot either in my house, near my house, models place or at a hotel/location. Never had a problem and as far as I'm aware it's not been a showstopper in setting up a shoot

I dont think there's a massive amount of distance between gropey tog at their own studio or gropey tog at their house, but I'm not a model so I dont really know

Posted 22 Aug 2012
I actually feel more comfortable in a home studio, means if the shoot over runs at all we won't be getting chased out - unless photographers wife comes home and kicks me out
Posted 22 Aug 2012
Mcroshaw
Photographer
Mcroshaw
Most of my stuff has been shot in my dining room! Never had a problem in 50 odd shoots.

Posted 22 Aug 2012
Steve_M
Photographer
Steve_M
Like andy_h I've photographed many models in my home studio. Never had any problems with this. I can't see as to why it's any different to taking a model to a secluded outdoor location or a hired hall for instance (both of which I've done many times too).

I do always suggest the model brings a friend but this doesn't happen that often.
Posted 22 Aug 2012
Edited by Steve_M 22 Aug 2012
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
Thing is, I have also heard some horror stories about models at photographers houses. I've never had a problem, as my feedback suggests, and I've shot on location, in a studio, at a models house and in my hotel rooms. I just didn't want to splash-the-cash and end up not using it
Posted 22 Aug 2012
MikeRiot
Right, I have a fairly decent sized spare room and have been thinking for a while about getting some brackets up, getting some paper rolls and having my own personal home studio. The question is, do models feel safe and are you happy shooting in a photographers home? I don't want to get some stuff and then no one want to work with me because they don't like going to photographers homes. Mike
I thought that was my room for when I move over looool. I think it's a good idea Mike it saves you spending the dosh to go to studios and travelling. And you are a nice relaxed guy
Posted 22 Aug 2012
MikeRiot

Thing is, I have also heard some horror stories about models at photographers houses. I've never had a problem, as my feedback suggests, and I've shot on location, in a studio, at a models house and in my hotel rooms. I just didn't want to splash-the-cash and end up not using it

Most of the shoots I've done have been either on location, in my home or in a photographers home.
The majority of "troubled" shoots I've had have been when I've been working in a studio.
I wouldn't work with a completely new photographer in their home studio but you don't have that problem as you have refs so I shouldn't think it would be anything to worry about at all.
Posted 22 Aug 2012
Blacklion
Photographer
Blacklion
I would say 90% of the shoots I've done have been at my home and there's never been a problem. I can only recall trying to book one model who was new who stated she didn't work at a home studio. Having a spare room to set up a studio is a dream. I normally have to re-arrange my front room to set things up!

Posted 22 Aug 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
I have had models to my home without problem. Frankly being collected by car and driven into the middle of nowhere - which I also do - is probably a lot more worrying - and potentially dangerous too. After all at least the model can tell her family and friends the address she is going to. Of course if you are collecting at a station the model still cannot be sure of where she is going. More about references than anything else - if they can be trusted.
Posted 22 Aug 2012
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
cathfazaxxx
I thought that was my room for when I move over looool. I think it's a good idea Mike it saves you spending the dosh to go to studios and travelling. And you are a nice relaxed guy
Cath, I'm sure you wouldn't mind sleeping in the studio! Haha! And thank you, its always nice when people give me a nice comment I'm glad it would appear that people don't have a problem with the whole home studio idea (Or as it would seem). As I say, I don't want to go setting it all up and then never use it. And Chrissie, I like to think my references speak for themselves. However I know a few people take them "with a pinch of salt" which kind of upsets me a little if they do that with mine
Posted 22 Aug 2012
Spike
Photographer
Spike
After having had several studios in a mixture of commercial premises over some 20 years, got fed up making landlords wealthier & put what I spent on rent rates etc into a bigger house incorporating a home studio. It does 90% of my work & if I need something bigger for a specific job I just hire something for the odd day.
Business wise it was a great decission.

Notice your "semi professional" therefore PL insurance is a must, plus check your deeds/mortgage agreement/home insurance/tenancy agrement, particularly if your on a new housing estate since they often have clauses bussiness use of properties.

Never had a model turn me down because it was at home, & even commercial clients such as Walls, QVC, Premier foods & Fast Car mag haven't had issues.
Posted 22 Aug 2012
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
I use a home studio for first shoots and portraits, and hire a studio when I need the space.

The only minor problem I've had was in a studio when a delivery driver walked through in the middle of a nude shoot. The model, the lovely AnnieMoya, just mentioned it and then carried on like a true professional.

No model I've shot has ever demurred at shooting at home although I can quite understand that the neutral ground of a studio might be more comfortable.

Posted 22 Aug 2012
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Sadly another factor to consider is chaperones.

There are some horror stories about chaperones sitting out of the shooting room stealing from the house.

It is always a matter of references and judgement. I have had some super chaperones and I have had some awful ones.

Generally I find that the more experienced models are less likely to be problematic with home studios, chaperones and nicking the Jaffa Cakes!

Posted 22 Aug 2012
Gregory_Mason
Photographer
Gregory_Maso..
As Jerome said previously, chaperones are a problem especially if you live on your own. And if you get a no show or a late cancellation while annoying there are no studio costs to pay or journey back home. Just turn the lights off and close the door.

Posted 22 Aug 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join