How to get a photographer to work

How to get a photographer to work

16 posts
16 Aug 2012
I've been working with a photographer for the last 6 months on a calendar, he takes ages to get back to me, doesn't send me all the photos for me to chose which would look best in the calendar. And its getting to the stage where we should be at print but we can't because he takes so long to do everything. I don't mind if we saw unedited images because then we could pick the 12 we wanted to edit. How to I get him to hurry up, keep in mind we aren't paying him as this is our first calendar and its for charity. But that doesnt mean his standards should drop. I've tried being stern but it doesn't seem to work.

Posted 16 Aug 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Find another photographer
Posted 16 Aug 2012
Gregory_Mason
Photographer
Gregory_Maso..
I agree with Red Checker and try find another photographer. If you do, agree to a schedule of delivery of images in writing

Posted 16 Aug 2012
CharlotteMaddison
Photographer
CharlotteMad..
Do you have any kind of written agreement about schedule / time line etc

I'm sure he is very busy if he owns a studio; the local studio nearby is always doing a lot of work so I'm sure they are not doing it on purpose.

Depending on what you had agreed I would ask the things to be fulfilled or you will have to to find alternative arrangements.

Posted 16 Aug 2012
CharlotteMaddison
Photographer
CharlotteMad..
Do you have any kind of written agreement about schedule / time line etc

I'm sure he is very busy if he owns a studio; the local studio nearby is always doing a lot of work so I'm sure they are not doing it on purpose.

Depending on what you had agreed I would ask the things to be fulfilled or you will have to to find alternative arrangements.

Posted 16 Aug 2012
CharlotteMaddison
Photographer
CharlotteMad..
no idea it posted so many times, sorry!

Posted 16 Aug 2012
extra_mayo
Photographer
extra_mayo
If you're not paid for things, it's not on your list of priorities.

Granted he shouldnt have taken it on etc

But thats just how it is.

Ian

Posted 16 Aug 2012
ChubbyDumpy
Photographer
ChubbyDumpy
alshepherd

we aren't paying him as this is our first calendar and its for charity.

Is the printer printing it for nothing and is the designer designing it for nothing, and if so have they given you firm promises that they will graciously give their time and services and materials for free to meet your agreed deadline date? If so, maybe they could suggest a faster turnaround photographer to donate to your cause.
Posted 16 Aug 2012
it's a bit late for that, we should be at print by now, and I refuse to mess the models around, they've traveled from all over

Posted 16 Aug 2012
Maybe you could contact the photographer and ask him if he intends on finishing the project - he might have thought at the time "good idea some free models" and now regrets taking on such a massive task for nothing. Its no excuse and he should have stuck to his word on doing it but if he really can't be arsed and your models can't re-shoot because of distance maybe try asking him for the images and you can get somebody else to edit them and print them off for you.. although I can't imagine many mugs offering to do this out of the goodness of their own heart you may be able to salvage something so the models feel less let down by it all.

Calendars are nearly always a waste of time - if somebody had told you this months ago it might have saved all the panic and stress.
I think tesco do ok calendar printing - could send whatever pictures you have there and get some printed off for family and friends of the models?

Posted 16 Aug 2012
DJ200
Photographer
DJ200
Maybe next time draw up a contact and pay the photographer. This time, badger him for the pictures.

Just my 0.02p.
Posted 16 Aug 2012
CJI01
Photographer
CJI01
Or just work with professionals that keep their word, perhaps lol

Posted 16 Aug 2012
CJI01

Or just work with professionals that keep their word, perhaps lol

Professionals know there isn't any money in producing calendars of unknown models even for charity the chances are it would cost more to print than it will make, always better just to donate to a charity. If I had a £1 for every "charity" shoot I've been asked to do I would be rolling in money!!
Posted 16 Aug 2012
Edited by Chrissie_Red 16 Aug 2012
bravepioneer
Photographer
bravepioneer
Chrissie_Red

Professionals know there isn't any money in producing calendars of unknown models even for charity the chances are it would cost more to print than it will make, always better just to donate to a charity. If I had a £1 for every "charity" shoot I've been asked to do I would be rolling in money!!

And there is your answer! 
Posted 16 Aug 2012
Chrissie_Red
this.
Posted 17 Aug 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join