Advice Please...!!

19 posts
15 Aug 2012
Hi Can any models or photographers give me some advice on how to improve my expressions PLEASE other than practise in the mirror lol what sort of expressions would help me improve and how to master the art I seem to get a bit stuck on fashion based shoots and end up with the same results i do try to do something different but normally look dopey so go back to the same old stuff. Im interested and keen to learn more strong beauty/edgy and fashion expressions so any advice and help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance X
Posted 15 Aug 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
Learn to develop a mood mentally in your head. Your expressions should then reflect that mood and as a consequence look convincing. A decent photographer should be able to help you develop the required mood.

Posted 15 Aug 2012
Edited by mgphotomedia 15 Aug 2012
Ok thanks will try to practice that and put it to the test on the next shoot. Thanks
Posted 15 Aug 2012
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
Collect images from magazines etc into a scrap book,  gives you some reference material for expressions to try.

Don't hold any expression for long.  When you hold an expression,  it tends to quickly go 'wooden'.  I often count a model in,  when I need an expression.

Relax 

Some find it useful to have a 'story' in their head to provide the reason for an expression.  Thinking of something that makes you smile, or frown or whatever can make the expression far more realistic.
Posted 15 Aug 2012
Alan_Jay
Collect images from magazines etc into a scrap book,  gives you some reference material for expressions to try. Don't hold any expression for long.  When you hold an expression,  it tends to quickly go 'wooden'.  I often count a model in,  when I need an expression. Relax  Some find it useful to have a 'story' in their head to provide the reason for an expression.  Thinking of something that makes you smile, or frown or whatever can make the expression far more realistic.
Thank you i am now on google images trying to find some interesting expressions Thanks
Posted 15 Aug 2012
Think i will stick to magazines lol most of google images for stong facial expressions come up with stuff like............... Think i will give that one a miss lol
Posted 15 Aug 2012
Edited by gerda_babbii 15 Aug 2012
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
gerda_babbii

Hi Can any models or photographers give me some advice on how to improve my expressions PLEASE other than practise in the mirror lol what sort of expressions would help me improve and how to master the art

How does an actor do it?
They get into the role and play the part.

It's not just about 'looking happy' or 'smile for the camera'.
You have to be at one with your emotions.

Posted 15 Aug 2012
Looking in the mirror does help - or taking self portraits of the expressions and then studying them back on the camera and figuring out which ones work/need to be stronger or need to be toned down a little. I hated nearly every picture of my face from my first shoot, my expressions were awful - I was trying to look "sultry" but I looked like I had just chewed a wasp which was repeatedly stinging the inside out my mouth - yes.. it was that bad. My problem was over expressing, I didn't realise how stupid I looked until I seen the pictures. So I toned it all down and practiced lots with self portraits, my favourite expression is "that far off look" - studying that is easy, just look at ballet dancers they do it perfectly and look beautiful.
xx

Posted 15 Aug 2012
Thanks everyone will try all that as really need to improve
Posted 15 Aug 2012
TMG
Photographer
TMG

Do you not a have a photographer you can muck around with (for want of a better way of putting it)? I know the advice is to develop a narrative in your head and act it out, but I believe even actors have problems if there is no-one opposite them to act against.

Posted 15 Aug 2012
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
It's basically a set of motor skills.

I think the most reliable method would be to follow the example of actors, which is to learn the muscular movements in the various parts of your face (and sometimes other parts of the body) and then practice them until you can reproduce all the expressions you've learnt, and in time subtly vary them.

Posted 16 Aug 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
If the OP is wanting to go 'hardcore' with this I'm wondering if the Alexander Technique is worth looking at?

Posted 16 Aug 2012
skymouse
It's basically a set of motor skills. I think the most reliable method would be to follow the example of actors, which is to learn the muscular movements in the various parts of your face (and sometimes other parts of the body) and then practice them until you can reproduce all the expressions you've learnt, and in time subtly vary them.
Will sure give it a go? Thanks
Posted 16 Aug 2012
RedChecker
If the OP is wanting to go 'hardcore' with this I'm wondering if the Alexander Technique is worth looking at?
Whats that? hehe
Posted 16 Aug 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
gerda_babbii

Whats that? hehe

To be honest I haven't a clue but many actors and singers use it (it's all about muscle relaxation and control I believe)

I mention this as G-Man (from the Half-Life video games) was based on Alexander Technique practitioner Frank Sheldon (mentioned HERE).  The 'making of' book of the game shows how the game's creators took video and stills of Frank's face running through cycles of facial expressions to enable the programmers to maniuplate the character's face to recreate moods and expressions as demonstrated here
Posted 16 Aug 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join