I have this condition http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_disorder

Would you work with me and reasons?

Please also feel free to discus

Iam trying to decide, how to model dispite this
Posted 14 Aug 2012
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
I didn't read all the wiki stuff but from the stuff I did read I'd say that so long as you have it under control then sure, carry on modelling.
I'd inform every photographer you book a shoot with about your condition so they can make their own mind up.
Is it something that's lately come on? As you seem to have been on this site a long time.

Posted 14 Aug 2012
I know very little about panic disorder but I have suffered with anxiety for 11 years now -

For me modelling helps, it gives me something to focus on and thankfully my anxiety doesn't get in the way of modelling..

Before I took my first modelling trip down south I made sure everybody who I was booked to work with where aware of my anxiety, in that if I freaked out before I travelled they wouldn't hold it against me too much. Everybody was very understanding about the hole thing, knowing they weren't overly relying on me made me feel so much better and less pressure.

I think the more you do things without panicking then the more confidence you gain.

I hope things work out for you and you are able to manage it better.

xxxx

Posted 14 Aug 2012
Spike
Photographer
Spike
I would consider TFP shoots

However if I was setting up a shoot for a paying client - no. In the unlikely event you had a panic attack which caused the shoot overun, or be cancelled I could find myself with having to cover the costs of any reshoot out of my pocket & have an unhappy client blaming me for my choice of model.

If however the client selected you, I would work with you since in the unlikely event of a problem it would be between you & the client to sort things out & I could just bill them for the reshoot.

What is your agencies view on the matter since I assume if a client books you through them & you flake the client will have some kind of claim against the agency?????

Some kind of professional indemnity insurance may be the answer.
Posted 15 Aug 2012
Edited by Spike 15 Aug 2012
I suffer from GAD, and was wondering if other models suffer from anxiety too and how they cope with it. I had to take some time out from modeling when my anxiety got quite high, and have been having CBT to help cope with it. Its really frustrating as you feel its stopping you from doing what you love! I am getting much better though.

Posted 13 June 2013
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
I would not want to offer any model a job if I knew they had any condition that just might mean I would have to cancel the job either days before, or actually whilst filming due to their medical or physical condition. This view is purely down to the potential loss of revenue, which I am not prepared to do.

Posted 13 June 2013
Keltica

I would not want to offer any model a job if I knew they had any condition that just might mean I would have to cancel the job either days before, or actually whilst filming due to their medical or physical condition.

I believe that physical condition is known as "being alive".
Posted 13 June 2013
Edited by JadedRed 13 June 2013
Keltica

I would not want to offer any model a job if I knew they had any condition that just might mean I would have to cancel the job either days before, or actually whilst filming due to their medical or physical condition. This view is purely down to the potential loss of revenue, which I am not prepared to do.

In 5 and a half years my anxiety had never stopped me attending a shoot.

You have the potential loss of revenue with any human capiable of being unwell on the day the shoot happens to be. It really shouldn't be any different.

Posted 13 June 2013
JadedRed

I believe that physical condition is known as "being alive".

cheeky damn those pesky breathing human people.. 
Posted 13 June 2013
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
It wouldn't necessarily prevent me from working with you. There's always a good chance that a shoot can be arranged in a way that it is a "non-critical", i.e. can be finished early, postponed or even cancelled if necessary without messing other stuff up.

Furthermore, if I were shooting someone who suffered from panic disorder, knowing what does and doesn't trigger an attack in that person would also affect how a shoot is arranged.

Knowing the pattern an attack takes in a a particular person, and their usual steps for remedying it, woudl also have an obvious practical influence. If, for instance, I know that if necessary you're likely to take some alprazolam and be good to go again in a short while, that's a different case from being incapacitated (modelling-wise) for the remainder of the day.
Posted 13 June 2013
Edited by skymouse 13 June 2013
Keltica

I can appreciate this point, but couldn't it be argued that there is always the potential for this situation to occur? And surely it's a bonus if that model is honest about this from the start?

I've met some models who try to meticuliously plan their work scedule around their periods (which can be hard to do, especially if they aren't completely regular). They might do this because they suffer from crippling pain, don't like using tampons, just feel shitty around that time... but mother nature can be a cruel mistress, and there's always a chance she'll intervene on a shoot. 

I know models suffering from depression who have never been specially affected by their condition on a shoot, but have most certainly been affected by the unceremonious arrival of Aunty flow. 

Personally, I imagine that any model brave enough to tell a photographer about their medical conditon, even if it might limit their chances of work, will most likely be the kind of honest and non-flaky individual that will do their utmost to turn up to a shoot and do a good job.
Posted 13 June 2013
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
NIce to know that Keltica has only contempt for English law. That may influence how others decide to work with him, or not, as they see fit. Under the Disability Discrimination Act, to refuse some-one employment on the grounds of a medical condition could be seen as an offence.

I work in an environment where I see and deal with panic attacks and related issues on a very regular basis. Indeed I have a bit of a reputation as a 'horse whisperer' with people in full blown panic.

Would I work with you? Yes. No reason not to. The fact that you have been open about your condition tells me that you have good insight into your condition. That you are honest. That you do not wish to be a nuisance on a shoot. If your insight is as good with how an attack is triggered and the best way for people to help you out of it then tell them, "If I have a panic attack the best way to treat me is to jump up and down, waving a peeled banana and singing an aria from Nabakov", then I am able to buy in a couple of bananas just in case.

Generaly speaking many people are bloody childish about other peoples' mental health issues. Just grow up, dweebs. You and your shoot are at far greater sik from a model turnibg up with a nsty cold than you are from a model turning up with a mental health problem. You can catch a cold, you can not catch a phobia or depression or anxiety or even psychosis.
Posted 13 June 2013
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
JeromeRazoir

NIce to know that Keltica has only contempt for English law. That may influence how others decide to work with him, or not, as they see fit. Under the Disability Discrimination Act, to refuse some-one employment on the grounds of a medical condition could be seen as an offence.

Except in rare and unusual cases, almost none of the modelling work arranged through this site (and many other methods besides) involve an employment situation.

Even if the modelling job did involve employment — which is most ulikely — the question arises whether the necessary steps would be "reasonable". I'm not a lawyer and will leave this to others to debate.

Posted 13 June 2013
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Sorry, double posted

Posted 13 June 2013
Edited by JeromeRazoir 13 June 2013
RubyRosetta
Personally, I imagine that any model brave enough to tell a photographer about their medical conditon, even if it might limit their chances of work, will most likely be the kind of honest and non-flaky individual that will do their utmost to turn up to a shoot and do a good job.
Thank you!! It's really hard explaining to anyone, let alone a photographer! Anxiety and panic disorder isn't life threatening, it's just one of those annoyances in life that unfortunately some people have to deal with. In my opinion an understanding photographer helps a hell of a lot (more than they realise), and the more understanding they are the more calm and relaxed the sufferer will be. By being the opposite only creates a situation that you don't want (model not turning up for example).
Posted 13 June 2013
Edited by _SamanthaHug 13 June 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join