Bad agancies!

11 posts
29 July 2012
i got accepted into a well know agancey last year as this was something i worked very hard to get inot i put my absoulte all into it however after my 3 shoots with the agcency i was promised payment at the end of the month when that came nothing months later he still promised me payment still noting and now 6 months gone he wont speak to me ...
is this really ok!!?

has anyone had or herd of similar situation to me if so it would be intresting to see if it was the same agency.
Moderator Advisory
To protect Purestorm legally please do NOT name Agencies in this thread or we may have to remove it.
Posted 29 July 2012
Edited by WebModerator 29 July 2012
BaileyK
Model
BaileyK
That certainly isn't normal.

Posted 29 July 2012
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I don't know much about all this, but did you get anything in writing? if so I'd suggest you ask for payment once more, and by a given date, or you'll refer the matter to the small claims court.

Posted 29 July 2012
onebadpuppy
Photographer
onebadpuppy
I hate to have to tell you this but this sort of thing happens, always has done and probably always will. A few years ago, my first choice model was a young lady by the name of Sami Greaves, who was a top model at the time. She once told me of having to wait ten months for payment for a shoot, and that's was a top model represented by a top agency, and she told me at the time, that she knew of loads of other models who where owed money for work. Damned unfair I know, any model who works with me gets paid on the day, in cash, no messing about. It seems to me,that the bigger the company you are doing the work for, the more likey they are to mess you about over money.

Posted 30 July 2012
What does it say in your contract ? Payment can take up to six months its normal it should say in your contract how long you should be prepared to wait for.

Him Ignoring out is out of order though has he told you when to expect it ?

Posted 30 July 2012
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
onebadpuppy

any model who works with me gets paid on the day, in cash, no messing about..

My business practise as well.  If the model does what she is contracted for she gets paid, in cash, on the day. It can only be the only way to do business in my book, and stuff Cameron and Co about not paying cash!
Posted 30 July 2012
JossDaniels
i got accepted into a well know agancey last year as this was something i worked very hard to get inot i put my absoulte all into it however after my 3 shoots with the agcency i was promised payment at the end of the month when that came nothing months later he still promised me payment still noting and now 6 months gone he wont speak to me ... is this really ok!!? has anyone had or herd of similar situation to me if so it would be intresting to see if it was the same agency. Moderator Advisory To protect Purestorm legally please do NOT name Agencies in this thread or we may have to remove it.
i'm with joss on this, the guy still owes me money with one shoot i done and i haven't had payement. the agency comes across really professional always getting published work and yet does this... i have tried speaking to the agent aswell and he doesn't respond. i now advise models not to go to the agency.
Posted 31 July 2012
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Some agencies may work differently to others.
What were the shoots for, a commercial customer or is it an agency that are hoping to sell images or get you more work on the results of the shoots? From Cathfazza's comment, it doesn't sound like a Model Agency, but more of a syndication system, they are trying to get work published with images from shoots already done. Reputable agencies book you out to clients who pay the agency.  If an agency supply a model to  a customer, they probably don't care if anything is published as a result, they just supply a model and want the money.  

Photographers on here may well pay cash, most are doing it as hobby or in the hope that they might sell an image or a set of images. Cash on the day is fair in this case.

Syndication is very different and a few here use that method, but lots don't trust people to pay if they do sell some. However, it is cash if and when something is sold. As I said, this sounds to be along these lines. If they haven't managed to sell any, they will be reluctant to pay you.  

I am afraid that if there is anything in the contract you signed that indicates you only get paid when X or Y happens, you are stuffed. If there is nothing to say this and it says you will be paid by a certain date, then you need to write a formal letter to them.  

If there is no contract, you have a problem.
Posted 31 July 2012
Edited by mattharper 31 July 2012
Sometimes you can be paid through an agency really quickly, others you have to wait a while. Depends how long it takes the client to pay the agency, who then have to process their cut through the accounts, then send you your chunk.

It can sometimes take a while. My advice is get an ETA on the money in writing so you know when to expect it by, then perhaps seek legal advice if it doesn't arrive or you're given the cold shoulder.

Posted 31 July 2012
our shoots were back in decemember i even remember the agent saying on the phone you will be paid in a week or two...

i even met up with him to take me on the agency a week after the shoot i shot for them.

there has neevr been a contract with any agencies i am with.

i have only ever had to sign saying my stats, name, age, address is all correct.

it isn't an agency, at the end of the day this company has a tone of models yet only ever gives the work to his two fave girls...

but it's in the past oh well.

Posted 31 July 2012
yeah thats the conclusion i have come to but its still very anoying knowing im owed over 500 for a lot of hard work and i cancelled other commitments. i do have a contract from the photographer but not the agency owner as we had not got round to it he asked me to do the shoot last minute as he was desperate. i have learnt from my mistakes.

Posted 31 July 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join