Why can't you reply to emails?

Why can't you reply to emails?

44 posts
20 July 2012
PixandFlix
Photographer
PixandFlix
I do not wish to tar every model with the same brush, but what has happenend to good manners? As a new'ish photographer on here I am looking to build up a decent portfolio and as such I have sent very respectful emails to a number of models on here, both amateur and professional with only one person having the decency to reply! I fully understand if you are not available or even do not want to work with an amateur photographer, but does it take so much effort to click the reply button and say "No Thanks"! I know that models have to put up with some less desirable and possibly pervvy togs on here but please can I ask that we all just have some manners and reply to emails. I dare say I will get berated for this thread but I would love to hear others views on this particularly from models.
Posted 20 July 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Blimey, not heard this one for a while

Posted 20 July 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
Let me break it to you as gently as I can.

No reply is cypher for "You're work is shit but I can't bear to tell you".

So by not replying they're actually trying to be nice.

As ever, try to remain positive and whatever happens don't advertise your shortcomings on the forums.
Posted 20 July 2012
Edited by mgphotomedia 20 July 2012
starr8
Model
starr8
I always reply to mails that I gets as I found out that good manners are so important in this type of work.

Posted 20 July 2012
crlightworks
Photographer
crlightworks
How long has it been since you sent the messages? For my next shoot, the model didn't reply for 3 weeks. Don't get disheartened though, it's very much a numbers game.
Posted 20 July 2012
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
*tumbleweed*

Posted 20 July 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
crlightworks

... For my next shoot, the model didn't reply for 3 weeks.

I hope it works out OK but personally I'd have a worrisome knot in the pit of my stomach. Maybe she was just away on an extended vacation - somewhere remote with no internet access. Or something like that.
Posted 20 July 2012
PixandFlix

I do not wish to tar every model with the same brush, but what has happenend to good manners? As a new'ish photographer on here I am looking to build up a decent portfolio and as such I have sent very respectful emails to a number of models on here, both amateur and professional with only one person having the decency to reply! I fully understand if you are not available or even do not want to work with an amateur photographer, but does it take so much effort to click the reply button and say "No Thanks"! I know that models have to put up with some less desirable and possibly pervvy togs on here but please can I ask that we all just have some manners and reply to emails. I dare say I will get berated for this thread but I would love to hear others views on this particularly from models.

Its not just a "models" thing, photographers do it too.
Some people just don't reply, maybe they are rude/not interested or busy but either way least it saves you time in the long run chasing them for dates or turning up and being no showed on. So look at the positives in it
Posted 20 July 2012
Mcroshaw
Photographer
Mcroshaw
I'm afraid you'll need to develop a fairly thick skin about this. Some models get a LOT of requests, especially for TF. If you were asking about paid shoots I would expect a better response, but if your just starting out you will need to pay for some shoots until you get a decent portfolio. Sorry, going a bit off track here.

Posted 20 July 2012
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_ph..
RedChecker

Blimey, not heard this one for a while

Maybe we should have a system like at Prime Ministers Question time in the House of Commons and number the things that come up frequently

The first question at PMQ is normally "will the Prime Minister list his engagements for the day" so someone simply shouts out "Number one, Mr. Speaker"

Maybe whoever opened a topic could just put

Number One - could refer to ‘No Shows’

Number Two – Macaroons

Number Three – Rude Photographers

etc
Posted 20 July 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
clearview_photography

Maybe we should have a system like at Prime Ministers Question time in the House of Commons and number the things that come up frequently

The first question at PMQ is normally "will the Prime Minister list his engagements for the day" so someone simply shouts out "Number one, Mr. Speaker"

Maybe whoever opened a topic could just put

Number One - could refer to ‘No Shows’

Number Two – Macaroons

Number Three – Rude Photographers

etc

Or.....

"I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago"
Posted 20 July 2012
crlightworks
Photographer
crlightworks
mgphotomedia

I hope it works out OK but personally I'd have a worrisome knot in the pit of my stomach. Maybe she was just away on an extended vacation - somewhere remote with no internet access. Or something like that.

Yeah, maybe. It's actually a he (not that it should make any difference). I used to worry about being let down on shoots, but it doesn't change anything and just makes me stress. If he turns up - great. If not, I'll probably take some shots of my dogs for stock.
Posted 20 July 2012
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
Posted 20 July 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
As you say in your profile you are mainly looking for TF - and in the thread that you have written to amateur and professional models, it is not entirely surprising. Personally I do answer all messages - but then I don't get dozens of models begging for a shoot!
Posted 20 July 2012
Edited by mph 20 July 2012
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
Just get over yourself and move on.

Posted 20 July 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join