Cleaning White PVC backgrounds...

Cleaning White PVC backgrounds...

31 posts
12 July 2012
martinchivers
Photographer
martinchiver..
maybe an old question, but one I have never found a really good answer to!  

I use these backgrounds & they inevitably do get grubby.  Its mainly polish from shoes, but there will be alsorts or crap on it.  I used to replace mine, quite often when times were not so hard, but nowadays have to resort to cleaning.  washing up liquid in water has no effect whatsoever.  I have used a washing up scourer with cellulose thinners.  but the thinners stinks the studio out for a week!  Also a bit hard on the knees!  Any bright ideas?
Posted 12 July 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
I always used white spirit on a rag - yes it smells a bit immediately afterwards but quickly evaporates and clears with a bit of ventilation.

Posted 12 July 2012
martinchivers
Photographer
martinchiver..
thanks, ive got some white spirit, with try that now. I have also tried cream cleaner (gritty stuff) & meths! and every combination thereof!

Posted 12 July 2012
I use Big Wipes Industrial(Makro usually sell them in a big yellow/black tub) on all the vinyl's(on the non-white vinyl's it can leave a residue but wipes off straight away when still damp) http://www.bigwipes.com/
Posted 12 July 2012
martinchivers
Photographer
martinchiver..
had a look at that. They look really good!

Thanks. They sell them in Halfords too. One up the road, will see if they have them in stock.

Posted 12 July 2012
DJ200
Photographer
DJ200
Mr Muscle seems to work on most things, and it smell quite nice too.

Regards

David

Posted 12 July 2012
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Get your hands on some Isopropanol or Isopropyl. (one is a dilute of the other)

It will clean most plastics and without marking, and dries without residue, and it also anti static. You can also wipes impregnated with Isopropyl.
RS sells this gear, but is cheaper elsewhere. (Halfords sell it also as brake cleaner/degreaser)
Posted 12 July 2012
Edited by gerryquiff 12 July 2012
martinchivers
Photographer
martinchiver..
thanks guys! I have also tried bleach & kettle descaller & caustic soda!!!

there are a few different "mr muscle" cleaners, I use their glass cleaner & thats good (for cleaning glass)

will try to get some of this stuff (isopropanol)

Posted 12 July 2012
DJ200
Photographer
DJ200
I use the green Mr Muscle for cleaning plastics. It's the stuff for windows and glass...contianing vinegar.

BTW, isopropanol is the same a isopropyl ALCOHOL..both the same thing.
Posted 12 July 2012
Edited by DJ200 12 July 2012
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
For the less ingrained marks I find a standard pencil rubber works well. I've also found the recent rain has been usefull for cleaning off the general grime from a doing 'booth' at a restored railway !. I just left it on the lawn for a morning and let the rain do its thing.

Posted 12 July 2012
dudekdude47
Photographer
dudekdude47
Isopropyl alcohol

Not the cheapest solution, purchased from a chemist, evaporates quickly and cleans most things
I used this regularly to clean the crap from my 10 pin bowling ball. Grease etc.

Posted 12 July 2012
photostore
Photographer
photostore
try one of the upvc window frame cleaners (usually smell like the sweets pear drops)

Posted 12 July 2012
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
Don't know if it works on your thing, but try a test patch with WD40. (Best thing ever they put in a tin!)

Posted 12 July 2012
martinchivers
Photographer
martinchiver..
Thanks guys, loads of stuff to try there!

Posted 12 July 2012
PeterH

Don't know if it works on your thing, but try a test patch with WD40. (Best thing ever they put in a tin!)

It will shift marks, but be sure to wash thoroughly afterwards as it will be slippy.

For really stubborn marks some white spirit and/or a bit of those JML Magic Erasers - they work really well on scuffs.
Posted 22 July 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join