HAYFEVER!!!!!

16 posts
7 July 2012
I have had the worst hay fever off all time this this year, have been to the docs and had prescription tablets and still didn't work, does anyone know of any good hay fever tablets? Thank you in advance!
Posted 7 July 2012
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Try sainsburys or wilkinsons own brands same active ingredient as the named brands but about a quarter the price.

Posted 7 July 2012
anthonyk0911
Photographer
anthonyk0911
Zirtek and Clarityn work fine for me, so does Piriton (yes, the kids medicine lol)
Posted 7 July 2012
I use boots own tablets plus anasal spray and eyedrops.But none of them work fully, they just relieve the symptons.  But i do prefer boots own brand Non drowsy. As the piriton ones just made feel like lying down and going to sleep.

Posted 7 July 2012
Thank you all was looking for a non drowsy I am using superdrug own at the moment which worked amazingly for a few months but now seem to not work at all, so going on the hunt for some today, so will try some mentioned! Thank you again!! It is driving me loopy now!
Posted 7 July 2012
Fox2006
Photographer
Fox2006
The Tescos ones work too (1 per day type).....same ingrediants as the rest, the non drowsy Piriton is good but they are only 4 hour ones.
Strangely I've not been affected much this year, last year was terrible

Posted 7 July 2012
Fox2006
The Tescos ones work too (1 per day type).....same ingrediants as the rest, the non drowsy Piriton is good but they are only 4 hour ones. Strangely I've not been affected much this year, last year was terrible
I didnt realise tesco did them! Ohh I may get those then! I was in OZ last year so didn't suffer, but this has been the worst year yet! I would have thought in the rain the pollen would be damp and wouldn't affect me so bad (wishful thinking maybe lol!!)
Posted 7 July 2012
markeewould
Photographer
markeewould
vasline up the nose, just a smear, works for me

Posted 7 July 2012
murphyspal
Photographer
murphyspal
I had the same problem last year and a friend's wife who does homeopathy made me some pills. I've always been sceptical about homeopathy, and maybe there is something pschological about it, but they worked a treat. Just a thought. On hayfever tablets I agree supermarket brands are often just as good as big name ones. A spray called beconase usually works quite well in experience too.

Posted 7 July 2012
extra_mayo
Photographer
extra_mayo
I use Clarityn.

They seem to work ok for me.

Ian
Posted 7 July 2012
Sounds silly but I find eating local honey on my toast works. Something to do with the honey is made from the same pollen you are having a reaction to so by eating it you are giving your body a chance to build up a resistance to it. Kind of giving yourself a vaccine, but a nice one! Wouldn't work instantly - for that I use Tesco own brand.

Posted 7 July 2012
JennyWren
Sounds silly but I find eating local honey on my toast works. Something to do with the honey is made from the same pollen you are having a reaction to so by eating it you are giving your body a chance to build up a resistance to it. Kind of giving yourself a vaccine, but a nice one! Wouldn't work instantly - for that I use Tesco own brand.
Someone else said that to me aswell, I did buy some local honey so have been trying it but I guess it does take a little while to work!
Posted 7 July 2012
thestarglider
Photographer
thestarglider
Brand is really at the end of the day not important, they all have the same chemicals (and a majority are manufactured by the same company). The non-drowsy hayfever tablets contain Loratadine and drowsy ones (but more effective) contain Cetirizine Hydrochloride. I use the drowsy ones and to be honest, I never feel drowsy from them.

Local honey can be beneficial, as does eating oranges (especially satsumas) as they also contain a natural antihistamine.

To try to minimise exposure, try to avoid going out first thing in the morning or late afternoon, and if sunny, stay in the sunshine as opposed to the shade. Indoors you really going to have to balance suffering to comfort. To really minimise effects you'd have to really close all windows. But you can try to make it less uncomfortable in warmer weather by getting things like air-con units with good filters or if more on a budget, things like ionisers (which are pretty cheap) which gives a positive charge to the air and particles, causing them to drop to the floor. You can have those dotted around your place, one per room with the door closed and it will help to lower the effects of hayfever.

I hope this all helps!

Posted 7 July 2012
Go back to your doctors and say they aren't working and you really are suffering, they should upgrade your prescription to someting stronger? Perhaps Neoclarityn instead of normal clarityn.

Posted 7 July 2012
allegra
Model
allegra
The only thing that has ever worked for me is something called mizollen ( or something like that ). Only available on prescription and unfortunately I haven't managed to get to the doctors this year so I'm suffering!

Strangely enough, the only thing that completely wipes it out altogether (no pills) is adrenaline. I can have streaming eyes and a nose that is beyond blocked but if I give a piano recital it disappears about an hour before. Massively convenient. Also if I am nervous (more than normal jitters) it goes. I have no idea why but I know it works!

Posted 7 July 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join