Would you consider this, models?

Would you consider this, models?

41 posts
20 June 2012
kjoleweb
Photographer
kjoleweb
I am just looking into this for now, to check if it would interest some of the models.

Is travelling to Norway for shooting of interest?

My idea is something like this:
- I'll pay your airfare here and back, and pick you up at the airport.
- You will be welcome to stay here for a week or something.
- I'd like to have a couple of days to shoot with you.
- We could market your presence here to other (semi-)local togs and split the earnings for modelling and studio rent.

I have heard of deals like this earlier, but it does not seem common. Any thoughts, comments or feedback would be great.

Thank you,
John

Posted 20 June 2012
Why would the earnings from a model's fees earned from other shoots be split with you?
Posted 20 June 2012
kjoleweb
Photographer
kjoleweb
JenSomerfield
Why would the earnings from a model's fees earned from other shoots be split with you?
If you were to use the studio. I was thinking about like selling studio-slots with the model to other interested togs. And the way it's split would ofcourse be up for discussion. Anywho, I was thinking about getting atleast the airfare back.
Posted 20 June 2012
Yes, I like arrangements where the photographer pays my expenses, shoots with me for 2/3 days, and then I have a few free days to explore an interesting new country.

Not sure about this earning-splitting thing though. I'd rather you just hired your studio out at a standard rate and I kept all my modelling fee. Unless it was a studio day type thing I guess?

Posted 20 June 2012
If it was a normal studio day arrangement, then that sounds fine. I don't think 'splitting the model fee' was the right phrase though, makes it sound like you're charging commission.

One or two days shooting, in return for a weeks' accommodation and flights, sounds like a fair deal to me. It would depend on if there's much demand for models in Norway though.

Posted 20 June 2012
kjoleweb
Photographer
kjoleweb
It would be like a studio day, or week if you want. Keep in mind that the model rates here are probably higher than in the UK. So I think it would be good business for the model anyway.

Say you do five 1 hour shoots in a day, and if the tog's were interested in paying NOK 800 for each timeslot. I would charge 300 for studio rent and for airfare, and the model would get 500 which is some 53 pounds. That would be 265 pounds in a 5 hour day.

To make this work I really would need a cut of the earnings to cover my expenses.

J.

Posted 20 June 2012
kjoleweb
Photographer
kjoleweb
I actually never said splitting the model fee. I said splitting the earnings.
Posted 20 June 2012
jes
Model
jes
Yes, if the work was definitely booked in advance.  I would want to know exactly what I was earning before leaving for the trip.  Would you be paying for the 2 days you photograph the model?..or is that TF?

Posted 20 June 2012
Edited by jes 20 June 2012
kjoleweb
Photographer
kjoleweb
I was thinking housing, food and transport would get me a few hours shooting...

Posted 20 June 2012
kjoleweb
I was thinking housing, food and transport would get me a few hours shooting...
think thats fair... at the worst case senario the model gets a free holiday and if it goes well, some shopping money as well. I would come if you paid for my fella lol ps im not being cheeky and asking just saying
Posted 20 June 2012
Sounds fair...of course ironing out all angles to make sure both parties (and others if a studio day/week is to be considered) completely understand each other is standard

Posted 20 June 2012
kjoleweb
Photographer
kjoleweb
I would probably make a reservation with the model some time in advance, and sell the timeslots first. Then confirm the booking if I was able to sell the number of slots needed to keep the model happy, and cover the cost of the airfare. What amount of hours/payment would you think would be good enough to try this? What would model expectations be? J.
Posted 20 June 2012
si_mo
Photographer
si_mo
I'm curious on this too. I have discussed similar with models about flying them out to Switzerland.
I have had offers on both extremes.

Posted 20 June 2012
kjoleweb
I would probably make a reservation with the model some time in advance, and sell the timeslots first. Then confirm the booking if I was able to sell the number of slots needed to keep the model happy, and cover the cost of the airfare. What amount of hours/payment would you think would be good enough to try this? What would model expectations be?
I would be happy with 3 or 4 free days to run around doing my own thing, basically time-for-holiday. (Remember that I'm still a student living at home, I don't have bills to pay; a full-time model who's financially dependent on her modelling might regard it differently.) Personally, when I'm booking work as a model, I try to make at least £100/day. (Average UK daily wage.) And when arranging my own tours I normally trade at least one day's full shooting for 5 - 7 days accommodation. (Which often includes food.) I would want the booking 100% confirmed or not at least a month in advance though, so if it's not happening I can book the week with other things. This is just me though, other models will have different expectations. (BTW, I'd love to visit Norway. Or Switzerland. /shameless self-promotion)
Posted 20 June 2012
I did a similar shoot in South West France recently...

BUT

The photographer told me that in the past he paid for a model and her boyfriend to fly out to France for agreed week's shoot..accommodation with photographer and his wife, all food etc., he sent the money to model for air fare  in good faith of their arrangement....and they never turned up!!!

How awful is that! Fraud springs to mind...but he didn't pursue it...
Posted 21 June 2012
Edited by SuzyMonty 21 June 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join