The difference between 'sexy' and 'pretty'

The difference between 'sexy' and 'pretty'

34 posts
2 June 2012
River
Model
River
Is there an explanation on how people distinguish a difference been a model who is 'sexy' and a model looking 'pretty'? Im wondering if you have any examples of how different individuals see models. Do certain facial features create a difference between the two? Or is it a case of just the 'look' and styling of the model?

Posted 2 June 2012
I think it's just facial expression!

Pretty:                                                          

Sexy:
Posted 2 June 2012
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
River - I would say tht you look cute and "pretty".

The "sexy" look in my opinion is a little more edgy ... maybe such as these models ...

Posted 2 June 2012
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
A model can be made to look different to an extent either way with the styling but also a models face plays a part.

Sexy to me can be a confidence thing, a "glint" in the eye or it can be a sultry look. It could be someone who is very pretty or someone who is plain. It is likley to be someone very slightly curvier

To me, a pretty look is a pleasing face - nice lines and a striking shape - ie quite toned body with prominent cheekbones

We all have different tastes though and what I find attractive someone else will find boring and vice versa

Posted 2 June 2012
Buddygb
Photographer
Buddygb
Pretty is an appealing arrangement of facial features - you rarely refer to any other body part as pretty.

Sexy is about attitude, excitement and the engagement of one's imagination.

Someone can be sexy without being pretty and vice versa and for me sexy is more subjective than pretty.

Posted 2 June 2012
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
Sexy is a transmission of sexual energy.

Pretty is nice to look at.

They can and do cross, but they are also different things. Pretty and bland, sexy and ugly.

Posted 2 June 2012
darrenbrade
Photographer
darrenbrade
Body language and confidence level plays a big part. Styling can also effect a models confidence level.

Or simply "a state of mind".

Posted 2 June 2012
darrenbrade
Photographer
darrenbrade
Without critiquing your port, your avatar, picture on the left is "pretty" the picture on the right "sexy", it has an extra energy to it and you look extra confident.

Posted 2 June 2012
i think its both to be honest

you can polish a turd so if some one fell out the ugly tree and hit every branch they will probibly not be considered sexy same as if some one is beautiful but void of any emotion or attitude

both sexy apperance and sexy attitude are important

geneticly we look for simetrical feature (the programed into us to be 'sexy') as well as cultural looks, high cheek bones, big lips, small nose ect...

then there is attitude - in most sexy attitude images the model will narrow her eyes to created a smouldering effect

classic sexy would include a slightly pursed lip

attitude based (alt) sexy would often show the mouth more agape with teeth on show (a metaphore for physical dominace)

or the counter action which would be slightly more wide eyed and mouth open (usually in a lying down on the back pose with the neck out streached) which signifies surendering

although humans also can fall into personal relationship where they can find people 'sexy' by being attracted to similar taste, morals and goal but that has very little to do with modelling unless your targeting a specific market

hope that helps
ratsx

Posted 2 June 2012
TMG
Photographer
TMG

Easier to find a standard for pretty than sexy.What's sexy is whatever does it for an individual. For me there has to be a carnal vibe, and I don't like it to look too posed.
That's why most fashion looks sexless to me - at least all the awkward elbows and hunched profile stuff, as well as the arch overstated posing.
I like it to be a bit understated too. I find a girl who can convey a sexual message through s smile, a glance or just by the way she stands infinitely more appealing than someone on her back with her legs apart.
Posted 2 June 2012
Edited by TMG 2 June 2012
GSC4X
Photographer
GSC4X
Its in the eye of the beholder, nothing more....

Any image can evoke either response, most adults can make their own mind up on what their opinion is.   Where it goes wrong is where normal boundaries are crossed.
Posted 2 June 2012
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
A quick glance at your port would suggest no pretty pics some cute but mainly ravishingly hot and very sexy. It's all about the expression and the look and how the viewer sees the image. One man's or indeed woman'e bacon sandwich is heaven on a plate. Or death knocking on the door. Ts and As would serve to perhaps insure sex appeal but the right look will always win the day.

Posted 3 June 2012
TMG
Photographer
TMG
frankpht

A quick glance at your port would suggest no pretty pics some cute but mainly ravishingly hot and very sexy. It's all about the expression and the look and how the viewer sees the image. One man's or indeed woman'e bacon sandwich is heaven on a plate. Or death knocking on the door. Ts and As would serve to perhaps insure sex appeal but the right look will always win the day.

Yes, I was going to add something alng those lines. Languid  sex appeal - comes across strongly.
Posted 3 June 2012
Vish87
Photographer
Vish87

This

Socialdisaster

Sexy is a transmission of sexual energy. Pretty is nice to look at. They can and do cross, but they are also different things. Pretty and bland, sexy and ugly.
Posted 3 June 2012
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
River
Is there an explanation on how people distinguish a difference been a model who is 'sexy' and a model looking 'pretty'? Im wondering if you have any examples of how different individuals see models. Do certain facial features create a difference between the two? Or is it a case of just the 'look' and styling of the model?
Difficult one. Pretty is easy - symmetrical features, large eyes, small nose and mouth. We have a programmed response to children and kittens: You have one of the prettiest faces on Purestorm - but the right hand shot may be the first sexy shot of yours that I've seen: Emmanuelle Beart has a similar face: She does sexy very well:
Posted 3 June 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join