Booking Hotel Rooms for Photoshoots - Whole night cost? or Photoshoot ...

Booking Hotel Rooms for Photoshoots - Whole night cost? or Photoshoot cost?

15 posts
27 May 2012
DragonGraffix
Photographer
DragonGraffi..
I have photographed someone a couple of times modelling the clothes that they make themselves. Each time the seamstress/model has booked a hotel room for the photoshoot. She has paid for a full night (which includes breakfast) even though we have only used the room for 4 hours. Nothing in the room (towels, bedding, toiletries) are used, and nothing is really disturbed. The first time the hotel knocked a fer pounds off the bill, and the second time, nothing at all.

May I ask those of you with more experience of this, is paying for a whole night standard practice? or do you find it easy to negotiate a better price based on just using it for a photography backdrop?

Just interested in what you have to say, and if it saves the seamstress a few quid next time, then it would help her!

Thanks
Posted 27 May 2012
Zprangz
Photographer
Zprangz
Negotate with the hotel and others in the area, if they know you are looking elsewhere you may get a better deal.  However if they are part of a big chain of hotels then there will be policy on these matters.

Do you need to shoot in a bedroom?  Most hotels have meeting rooms you can hire by the hour, so could be worth asking about.

Posted 27 May 2012
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuilding..
I have been advised that you can book a day rate for a room. This is sometimes significantly cheaper.

Never tried it myself though.

Posted 27 May 2012
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
Three weeks ago I used a small hotel near Kings X and asked if they still did rooms by the hour. By reply I got "not any more, the area has cleaned its' act up since St Pancras and Eurostar and we make better money".
Made me smile.

Posted 27 May 2012
ShootonLocation
Photographer
ShootonLocat..
Why not check out the photographer friendly hotel register Just give me a couple of months to design and launch it first Having said that, everthing i have invented so far in life already existed. It was just hiding
Posted 27 May 2012
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
Honestly, Premier Inn for £29 a whole night... or Travel Lodge for £19... Can't go wrong
Posted 28 May 2012
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
Most hotels prefer to work on their standrad overnight stay terms. If they let it to you for the day, chances are they won't be able to resell it for the night, and they'll be making a loss on the deal. Of course, it's possible to find a privately run hotel who may have empty rooms they'd rather let in the day for a lower fee than see no return at all, but that's one of the photographers skills, sourcings such places.

Posted 28 May 2012
garrye
Photographer
garrye
These are worth a look at for day rates

http://www.between9and5.com

Posted 28 May 2012
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
Oh yes, Travel Lodge and Premier Inn you really cannot polish a turd.

If you are going to use a hotel because it's got something special, then hire something suitable, and be prepared to pay a few hundred and sum more for a night.

Posted 28 May 2012
photoclassic
Photographer
photoclassic
MikeRiot

Honestly, Premier Inn for £29 a whole night... or Travel Lodge for £19... Can't go wrong

Premier Inn will go absolutely nuts if they catch you.  Company policy is absolutely no bookings for photoshoots and it's almost certainly the same in most other chain hotels where they have a uniform branding of decor.  Best to use a private hotel rather than a chain, where you can negotiate directly with the owner for a mutually agreeable rate.

I've never booked a hotel for a model shoot but for my private boudoir clients I recommend they deal with the hotels rather than me as the managers are more understanding and less likely to bump up the price. 
Posted 29 May 2012
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
yeah, the benefit of doing a hotel shoot is the nice surroundings most chains have really bland decor so i'd give them a miss i just booked a room for my latest one off group on, went there overnight with the model, shot photos, nommed plenty of sweets and destroyed the breakfast in the morning, was muy fun (might even be an image from it in my port)
Posted 29 May 2012
6feet9
Photographer
6feet9
My personal experience is that the good hotel room locations do not need to make you a deal, even more, they prefer not to as they will loose money on you as they can probably not rent out the room after you without a cleaning check-up.

Additionally, if you work in a high-class hotel room do not expect to go cheap. If I make a model pay for the pictures I take, I only rent high-class rooms which are almost never below 150 pounds per night (depending on size, location,...). Most hotel rooms allow a late check-out at 1 pm, which means you can be there for around 22h (check-in around 3 pm). It allows you to maximize your revenue then: 3 shoots the first afternoon/evening and 2 more in the morning, little sleep, but if you charge each model 30 pounds for the location + your time, then you can still make it profitable.

If I work for an end-user for a commercial advertising, then even 500 pounds for a room or suite will not really make the difference. As the total cost (location, myself, the cost of my assistant, model fee, mua, using my camera, lenses, flash lights, travel costs for all people involved,...) is a multitude of that.

Also make sure the hotel knows you are doing a shoot in there, as otherwise you might get an issue when using the end results commercially.

If you are doing this for a hobby; why not make it a work-shop, as long as the hotel is paid for a full overnight stay they will be happy to accommodate you and your colleague photographers. (Especially that if you invite multiple models, they are all potential returning customers).

Posted 29 May 2012
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
6feet9

Also make sure the hotel knows you are doing a shoot in there, as otherwise you might get an issue when using the end results commercially.

Yep, I've noticed more and more publishers, especially Americans, asking for a 'location release' form to be submitted with the pictures when shot in hotels, bars, etc.
Posted 29 May 2012
fotographseu
Photographer
fotographseu
shoot in numerous hotel rooms and you get what you pay for. Looking on lastminute and the other hotel websites does keep the costs down. agree with the poster about trying to do multiple shoots. Although i've only managed 5 over 2 days and not 3 over one night!

Posted 2 June 2012
DragonGraffix
Photographer
DragonGraffi..
Thank you to all that have contributed to answering my question. The information provided has been been greatly, and gratefully appreciated!

Posted 12 June 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join