Are make-up books any good?

Are make-up books any good?

8 posts
18 May 2012
I'm not the best at doing makeup and want to be able to produce make-up looks (Nothing complicated) of a higher standard when im required to do my own make-up on shoots. Im currently a student already (nothing to do with make-up) so I imagine it would be difficult to do a make-up course at the same time due to costs, I know when kit is purchased it can get pretty pricey! What about any make-up books? Does anyone recommend them and if so, which are the best for photography make-up. Im not looking to become an expert or anything, just want to be taught how to apply make-up properly and at least get my make-up techniques to of a higher standard.
Posted 19 May 2012
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
You could pay a MUA to make you up and ask her/him to explain what they are doing and why..

Si

Posted 19 May 2012
Youtube tutorials are also great for all sorts of different looks/explanations/etc.

Posted 20 May 2012
laurashipmanmua
Make Up Artist
laurashipman..
I like Bobbi Brown's book, and Kevyn Aucoin's is good too.

Posted 20 May 2012
If you're a little hard up for cash, why not get a notebook. Then you can rip ideas out of magazines as they have pictures and tutorials in there, often with really gorgeous pictures. And it's good for inspiration as well as even if they don't have instructions, you can still get the pictures and play around in front of a mirror. Also, you can find so many tutorials on youtube, so write down step by step instructions and a link to the video.
Posted 21 May 2012
laurashipmanmua
I like Bobbi Brown's book, and Kevyn Aucoin's is good too.
Is it the Bobbi Brown make-up manual? Just had a preview of it and it looks pretty good! I'll check the other one out, thanks!
Posted 21 May 2012
DavidHunt
Photographer
DavidHunt
PM Sent

Posted 21 May 2012
laurashipmanmua
Make Up Artist
laurashipman..
Neonpink
Is it the Bobbi Brown make-up manual? Just had a preview of it and it looks pretty good! I'll check the other one out, thanks!
Yeah it is, some people complain that there's a section aimed at aspiring MUA's but most of it is about skin care and make up tutorials, what colours will suit certain skin tones.
Posted 23 May 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join