Models, what do you look for in a photographers portfolio?

Models, what do you look for in a photographers portfolio?

29 posts
5 May 2012
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
Having failed miserably with my casting calls lately I've been wondering quite where I'm going wrong.
So what do you girls look for when looking at a photographers portfolio?

I'd also appreciate it if you could take a quick peek at mine and see if there's something that would put you off and what I could do to make it better.
I'd also appreciate it if you could look at some of my previous casting calls to see if I'm saying or doing something wrong.

Thought this might be a handy thread for all photographers who have the similar problems to mine.

Posted 5 May 2012
Buddygb
Photographer
Buddygb
Good question
Posted 5 May 2012
Do you mean sourcing TF shoots?

Some general points that would put me off, horrendous/large/ridiculous/obtrusive watermarks or logos, borders, small images, if anything is out of focus or the white balance is off or the basics haven't been sorted, strange crops, naff ideas, inconsistency (ie some AMAZING images, some okay ish images = an okay ish port), people that do adult as a hobby as we likely do not share the same goals, inconsistency in portfolio notes (I have been a pro for over two decades ..... I bought my first camera 8 years ago), bad references, a bad attitude, the list goes on.

I would suggest a massive cull, keep only your strongest images up. I've just read a couple of your casting calls and you seem friendly and normal. Are you looking for newbies wishing to TF? hobbiests? When I was starting out and building my portfolio I could only shoot evenings and weekends because I worked full time. Maybe this is a barrier to you finding shoots on a Monday.

Posted 5 May 2012
Edited by JenSomerfield 5 May 2012
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
Thanks for that Jen, I can assure you I am normal , Well normal'ish! I never have a problem with paid shoot castings, it's more when I'm looking for tf that I seem to get a poor response. I'm not one of those who goes looking for 'fresh meat' and much prefer to work with models with a bit of experience. I'm going to have to have a big cull. I think sometimes it's hard deciding what are my strongest images so I'll have a good study. I think sometimes my casting calls come across as sounding very serious and it's not going to be a fun shoot, would you agree, or do they sound okay? I can see why only being able to shoot Mondays is a problem also. To cut a long story short, I'm stuck to Monday daytimes due to the Russian mafia! Unbelievable I know. I sold a car a while back and this guy came up from London to buy it. Basically he wasn't who he said he was and turned out to be part of a multi million pound car theft ring. My wife was pregnant at the time, and with me being in a wheelchair I wouldn't have been able to defend us if it had gone pear shaped in the house. As a result of it, my wife said she doesn't mind me shooting with strangers so long as she isn't in the house at the time, which I don't blame her for. She works Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's, but Wednesday I have a gardener and cleaner at my house and Fridays my parents come to look after my son, which could prove embarrassing if a model is wandering about in next to nothing! I guess I've just answered my own question!
Posted 5 May 2012
Things that put me off...
- Feckin' great watermarks; I won't work trade with people unless they're willing to put only a small watermark on their work (preferably none at all).
- Bad reputation, but that goes for everyone; I won't accept any work from someone that I've heard is a creeper.
- Anything that indicates they'll want to direct the shoot 100% and not allow me any input; I always come to a trade shoot with a list of things I want to try out, but some photographers can be very dismissive of this.

But the main thing I'm looking for is well-composed, well-lit, well-edited images that show the model to her best advantage. A healthy dose of creativity is appreciated as well.

Posted 5 May 2012
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
Well, I've had a big cull.
How's it looking now?

Posted 5 May 2012
Scottmorgan
Photographer
Scottmorgan
To be honest the casting call system for TF shoots on here is very poor, i'm putting up castings all the time and sometimes dont even get 1 reply but seem to get offers of shoots via email when not looking.
Posted 5 May 2012
Edited by Scottmorgan 5 May 2012
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
I disagree that it's poor Scott, it's as good as seen on the other sites and 1000% better than net models pathectic attempt.
I don't want this to sound the wrong way, but I'm sort of glad I'm not the only one who is struggling.
If you are as well, with a portfolio of such outstanding quality, there's no hope for the rest of us!

Posted 5 May 2012
Edited by Holmax 5 May 2012
Holmax
Thanks for that Jen, I can assure you I am normal , Well normal'ish! I never have a problem with paid shoot castings, it's more when I'm looking for tf that I seem to get a poor response. I'm not one of those who goes looking for 'fresh meat' and much prefer to work with models with a bit of experience. I'm going to have to have a big cull. I think sometimes it's hard deciding what are my strongest images so I'll have a good study. I think sometimes my casting calls come across as sounding very serious and it's not going to be a fun shoot, would you agree, or do they sound okay? I can see why only being able to shoot Mondays is a problem also. To cut a long story short, I'm stuck to Monday daytimes due to the Russian mafia! Unbelievable I know. I sold a car a while back and this guy came up from London to buy it. Basically he wasn't who he said he was and turned out to be part of a multi million pound car theft ring. My wife was pregnant at the time, and with me being in a wheelchair I wouldn't have been able to defend us if it had gone pear shaped in the house. As a result of it, my wife said she doesn't mind me shooting with strangers so long as she isn't in the house at the time, which I don't blame her for. She works Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's, but Wednesday I have a gardener and cleaner at my house and Fridays my parents come to look after my son, which could prove embarrassing if a model is wandering about in next to nothing! I guess I've just answered my own question!
Ah so what you should be asking is, "what can an experienced model get from a shoot with me?" Presumably an experienced model has some nice shots already, as she is a decent model and probably gets emails all the time, and has to be free on Mondays. Sounds tricky! I don't really understand why having your car stolen means that you can't shoot while she's around?
Posted 5 May 2012
When in search of a photographer for a photo trade basis I often have a good indication in mind of what I am looking to create therefore choose someone whose images suggest they could make that concept look as amazing as possible. Would they be able to apply the best precise lighting to the style in question? Would they be able to grasp the most flattering angles? Off putting things: -Dodgey statements in the profile notes -References like "X turned up for the shoot but is NOT recommended by Y"
Posted 5 May 2012
Perhaps it's your roaring ID picture that puts off newbie models...a tad scary?

Your work is overall brilliant. Who could question that?

Most experienced models who would consider TFP work, would me thinks,  look for a photographer that can ADD something different & amazing to their portfolio's.

I do like to work with a photographer who is creative, but also listens to my modelling imput ideas...and  I love a photographer who has a sense of humour.

Example:

Photographer just sent me an email this evening, about confirmation of meeting place for a location shoot on Dartmoor...it started with..

'Allo, allo!

Lissen carefullee, I will say zis only once......,'

Nice touch I thought. Good to work with someone with a sense of humour...smiley
Posted 5 May 2012
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
I don't really understand why having your car stolen means that you can't shoot while she's around?
Jen, I think it was the invasion of privacy that freaked her out. I think it's the thought of what could have happened, as he was in our house. To be honest I don't blame her and I guess I'm lucky in that she still allows me to shoot from home.
Posted 5 May 2012
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
I'm going to get that self portrait changed I think Suzy, on reflection it does make me look kind of scary, and I'm not, honestly!
I just need some kind of miracle now to make me look half presentable.

Posted 5 May 2012
PeekImage
Photographer
PeekImage
Holmax
I'm going to get that self portrait changed I think Suzy, on reflection it does make me look kind of scary, and I'm not, honestly! I just need some kind of miracle now to make me look half presentable.
If you're looking for a photographer...
Posted 5 May 2012
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
I do literally need a miracle to make me look presentable at the moment Sam, I'm full of cold and look dreadful.
I wonder if Jesus does Tf?

Posted 5 May 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join