Making a start

11 posts
4 May 2012
Hello, I'm not sure whether this is the right forum to post this topic so, apologies if this isn't. I've been looking to get into modelling for a few months now but, there appear to be a few snags.

The best agencies such as Storm, Elite and Models one etc are part of the AMA group over here in London but getting into these agencies seems to be almost impossible which I can understand with the amount of talent around.

The problem is that most other "local" agencies approached are happy to take me on as long as I agree to pay for a photoshoot which usually costs around £200-£300. I've done this once already but with no subsequent success in terms of bookings or auditions.

I know there is some serious competition around but, what do you advise in terms of right people to approach?
I'm already working anyway so, my motives are more out of interest than financial.

Thanks in advance.

Q

Posted 4 May 2012
inspired
Photographer
inspired
Posted 4 May 2012
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
NEVER pay money to join or have a portfolio done by anyone who purports to be an agency. 

The above info is relevant but I can see your age is your biggest drawback, not that age is any barrier but the agencies you mentioned are not going to be interested in you.

Not everyone can (and for various reasons) should model, if you want to do it for the occasional free shoot, or even grab a paid shoot that's fine but personally I don't think you have what it takes to be a commercial model but hey I would be the first to give you congrats if you were to prove me wrong.

Posted 4 May 2012
carlbeebee
Photographer
carlbeebee
Keltica
personally I don't think you have what it takes to be a commercial model
I find that quite rude. Were you never told that sometimes it's best to keep you opinions to yourself?
Posted 4 May 2012
Thanks all for your input so far. What I want is an honest opinion and advice. I know my age will count against me but I'm hoping that someone will give me a chance.

Q.

Posted 4 May 2012
carlbeebee
Photographer
carlbeebee
Personally my opinion is, that the best thing might be to try and find a good local photographer to you and arrange a few shoots; studio, location etc.

That way you would have a decent portfolio so it wouldn't make any sense for a modelling agency to ask for money to build a portfolio for you.

Really hope it works out for you.

Posted 4 May 2012
Thanks. Do you know any good photographers that you can recommend who won't be too expensive?

Posted 4 May 2012
carlbeebee
Photographer
carlbeebee
qadimora
Thanks. Do you know any good photographers that you can recommend who won't be too expensive?
Not in your area I'm afraid (although there must be lots). Have a search on this site for photographers.
Posted 4 May 2012
starr8
Model
starr8
The best thing to do is to have a look at photographers in your area. See who is willing to do a TFP and contact them. I am 37 and am booked until September so don't let your age get in the way.

Posted 4 May 2012
maxina
Model
maxina
Yes age really doesn't matter,i think you have a good look
Posted 4 May 2012
Thanks. All I need now is to get some prospective photograpers to see what potential I might have. I think I'll go down the TFP route for starters and see what happens.

Q

Posted 6 May 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join