TFCD arrangements..

24 posts
2 May 2012
I've read a lot on here about photgraphers struggling to book TFCD models and also about how they can be unreliable.

However, I have worked TFCD on lots of occasions and whilst mainly I have had no problems,  one issue I've had is getting the images back.

Even though clearly agreed timescales etc.. have been agreed from the outset, I find myself not wanting to appear 'pushy' when requesting images....also, when I do get some back (not all, as agreed) they have simply been cropped and not actually re-touched..

Has anyone else had this problem?

Maybe I just need to toughen up!
Posted 2 May 2012
Hey

I have had the same problem if it helps you can check out my thread:

http://www.purestorm.com/forum/readThread.aspx?id=234991

Posted 2 May 2012
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
Looking at it from the other side of the camera. I know when I do a shoot that I will have to edit the images afterwards but never on the same day as the shoot.

So I make time to edit the images the next day whenever possible (sometimes other things get in the way) but my workflow is very good, and I can get the images in the post, or available as a download within 36 hours normally.

I do explain that I'm not going to edit every image, just the good ones, although I do provide a copy of all the images taken but they are just for reference and never fully edited.

I also do two copies, one for web & one for print.

Perhaps you are working with those challenged by the Photoshop experience.

Posted 2 May 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
Keltica

Perhaps you are working with those challenged by the Photoshop experience.

Or so good they claim to "get it right in camera"  (but fail! smiley)
Posted 2 May 2012
Yeah, a few photographers have told me that they prefer natural images etc.. but as i model I do believe that for certain shoots, editing is definitely required to get the best possible finished product..

Thank you all for your input

Posted 2 May 2012
xsab46
Photographer
xsab46
I am editing a set from a photo session Monday at the moment. While I prefer to do as smaller amount of editing as possible as I do not like the feel of heavy post production, every single shot is edited. I usually aim to give the model about 30 shots from a 4 hour photo session and I email them in batches as I am editing them. This usually means that the model will have at least 10-15 photos within a day or two of the shoot. I always provide for TF unwatermarked photos in websize and larger. I am doing allot of TF at the moment, another shoot on friday and 3-4 more booked for the rest of the month already, so I need to stay on top of the image post processing.

Posted 2 May 2012
Cygnet
Photographer
Cygnet
I upload proofs onto a private website usually on the evening of the day the shoot takes place. I ask models to take at least 2- 3 days to choose images as I find it results in less changes that way, and I email edited images as each one is completed. I usually have all the images emailed out within 2 weeks from the selection being made. I will sometimes edit extra images to those agreed and email those out as and when I finish them, maybe even 12 months in some cases !

Posted 2 May 2012
Edited by Cygnet 2 May 2012
I hasten to add that this does not refer to recent shoots
Posted 2 May 2012
grahamsphotography
Photographer
grahamsphoto..

If your busy earning a living TF edits go to the back of the queue.

But saying that I always try to get them a PDF to look at within 2 days of the shoot.

Posted 2 May 2012
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
I always promise models they'll have their images within 2-3 days but they normally have the first ones within a few hours as I'm always so keen to see them myself!!
Posted 2 May 2012
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
The simple fact here is, if someone commits to a TF shoot, they should A, have confidence in themselves that they will produce the goods, but have a back up plan if anything goes wrong and B, be very sure they have the time to meet the obligations of the arrangement.

I read threads here about models waiting weeks and even months and wonder why on earth that is. The only explanation I come up with is the images aren't good enough. If they are, the photographer would be keen to get them to the model so she uses them and he (or she) gets credited.

I have a very quick turnaround, usually a day or two from knowing which ones the model wants and like someone above mentioned, usually one or two the same day,

There are exceptions, perhaps where a digital artist might take a week on one image.

Posted 2 May 2012
digineil
Photographer
digineil
mattharper

The simple fact here is, if someone commits to a TF shoot, they should A, have confidence in themselves that they will produce the goods, but have a back up plan if anything goes wrong and B, be very sure they have the time to meet the obligations of the arrangement. I read threads here about models waiting weeks and even months and wonder why on earth that is. The only explanation I come up with is the images aren't good enough. If they are, the photographer would be keen to get them to the model so she uses them and he (or she) gets credited. I have a very quick turnaround, usually a day or two from knowing which ones the model wants and like someone above mentioned, usually one or two the same day, There are exceptions, perhaps where a digital artist might take a week on one image.

Agree with this and saying your busy is a lousy excuse.  People should not take TF on if they don't have time for it.     
Posted 2 May 2012
Cygnet
Photographer
Cygnet
mattharper
The simple fact here is, if someone commits to a TF shoot, they should A, have confidence in themselves that they will produce the goods, but have a back up plan if anything goes wrong and B, be very sure they have the time to meet the obligations of the arrangement. I read threads here about models waiting weeks and even months and wonder why on earth that is. The only explanation I come up with is the images aren't good enough. If they are, the photographer would be keen to get them to the model so she uses them and he (or she) gets credited. I have a very quick turnaround, usually a day or two from knowing which ones the model wants and like someone above mentioned, usually one or two the same day, There are exceptions, perhaps where a digital artist might take a week on one image.
I agree wholeheartedly Matt, I find it incredible that in many cases models are waiting months if indeed they ever receive them at all. In terms of being inconsiderate it is comparable to a model not bothering to show up for a shoot, something a lot of photographers love to moan about!
Posted 2 May 2012
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
grahamsphotography
If your busy earning a living TF edits go to the back of the queue.
Why? Seems to me you shouldn't take on a TF shoot if you're too busy to keep your part of the deal.
Posted 2 May 2012
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
+1
There seems to be a breed of old school pro who do not understand that a TFP is still a paid shoot and they need to treat it the same way as any other of their paying customers.

As they are self employed, they are in control of their destiny and did not need to agree to the shoot if they cannot deliver.

Models should take note of those who, as they put it, "put paid work first" and boycott them unless they want to continue the lottery of "will they ever get their pictures"

Posted 2 May 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join