Agencies?

7 posts
1 May 2012
Helloooo I was just generally wondering whether you can only sign to one agency, and if you do get signed to an agency, do they stop you from finding paid work elsewhere or do they need to be involved? (Please note I'm not applying to agencies myself, I've just begun doing a few shoots as a new hobby, so please don't feel the need to tell me I'm not fit for paid work - I am aware I just generally wanted to know more about the industry, increase my knowledge like.)
Posted 1 May 2012
pmeswani
Photographer
pmeswani
Why would you think you are not fit to get paid to model?

Posted 1 May 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
SOME agencies won't give a toss what else you get up to.

OTHER agencies will require you to be exclusively signed to them. MOST of those agencies will also forbid you from working on sites like Model Mayhem and Purestorm. SOME of those agencies might allow you to work independently provided the photographer has obtained their prior approval.

There are plenty of agency signed models that do work on sites like Model Mayhem and Purestorm. SOME of those models are careful to conceal their identity as best they can and MANY of them are very selective regarding the photographers they are prepared to test with.

If you have any specific agencies in mind it would be best to give them a ring and ask what their particular policy is.
Posted 1 May 2012
Edited by mgphotomedia 1 May 2012
pmeswani
Why would you think you are not fit to get paid to model?
Well, I think that I don't have the right 'look' for agencies, and feel that it would be difficult for me to find any paid work within my work limits without joining an agency (although I lack knowledge so if anyone has any ideas feel free to shout and explain to me, although it's not something I'd consider until I have a good portfolio (if ever) )
mgphotomedia
SOME agencies won't give a toss what else you get up to. OTHER agencies will require you to be exclusively signed to them. MOST of those agencies will also forbid you from working on sites like Model Mayhem and Purestorm. SOME of those agencies might allow you to work independently provided the photographer has obtained their prior approval. There are plenty of agency signed models that do work on sites like Model Mayhem and Purestorm. SOME of those models are careful to conceal their identity as best they can and MANY of them are very selective regarding the photographers they are prepared to test with. If you have any specific agencies in mind it would be best to give them a ring and ask what their particular policy is.
Thanks for explaining - is there a 'norm' for agencies? Or does it just vary?
Posted 1 May 2012
Edited by Cindybuzz 1 May 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
Cindybuzz

Thanks for explaining - is there a 'norm' for agencies? Or does it just vary?

The 'norm' is that the best agencies will exert most control over what you can do. Ineffective agencies (of which there are many) won't get you any significant amount of work so it's pointless them trying to exert control.

If an agency isn't on the following list consider whether you might be better off putting your effort into freelancing than signing with them:

http://whoistesting.com/blog_article.php?blogID=15

This is also worth a read:

http://whoistesting.com/blog_article.php?blogID=16
Posted 1 May 2012
Edited by mgphotomedia 1 May 2012
Thankyou
Posted 1 May 2012
I have an agency in Newcastle and an agency in London - both are ok with me being with the other as they never really overlap, but both stipulate that i'm not allowed to sign with any other agency within 30 miles of them. So no other agencies in London or Newcastle but them

Never been told to stop using these sites but i've found I use them less now because I rarely find a photographer who can better what's in my portfolio and make it all blend seamlessly.

Posted 23 July 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join