Image deadlines

21 posts
6 April 2012
Before asking my question I would like to point out that I do not want a debate on the topic or excuses and other nonsense like that going down here please I just simply want an answer to my question. I thoroughly understand that people also have other commitments in life as do I but I seem to have had a lot of trouble with tf and test shoots when it comes to receiving images if any from the shoots. So much so that Its starting to put me of the idea of taking these shoots which is a shame as I really enjoy partaking in them. In a few examples other models (Who have also worked test or TF with the photographer's) have been giving fully edited images ahead of me whereas I have received none for weeks at a time. I don't mean to be rude or blunt but I am after models opinions not photographers. My question is models how do you handle these situations do agree a set number of images and a time limit before hand? Or do you send polite but blunt emails? Or do you just wait ? feel free to include any other opinions on this matter
Posted 6 April 2012
I always ask how long it will take for the images to get to me. If I do not receive the images on the date agreed I message the photographer to get an idea on where they are up to in editing them. I have always received images but some photographers do take longer to get them to me but I do understand that photographers have other things to do to
Posted 6 April 2012
I know exactly how you feel, I know others always say "decide before the shoot" but its not that easy for anyone.
As you know some tests are more eventful than others, sometimes everything clicks into place and other times not so much so.

I remember early on doing a tf shoot with a dude, I didn't have a nice shoot anyway so I felt at least I will get some images from a dreadful day.
I sent him a text after the shoot, thanking him for coming over and saying it was nice to meet him (even though it was a horrible experience and I didn't get on with him at all). He ignored my text, 2-3 weeks later I sent him a message online just saying again thank you and asking how he was and if he had a chance to look at them yet - he read it and didn't reply. 2 weeks after that I sent another message, leaving out some of the friendliness.. asking again how the images were looking. Again nothing but he had read it (and been uploading images from shoots after the one he had with me which made me even more angry). I also asked a couple of the girls he had previously worked with if he left them waiting for long periods of time - all of them said it was unusual to wait longer than a week. I sent another email which was blunt "where are the pictures?".. No reply so a week later I left him a reference on here, at the time you could go into some detail - I basically said "shot with XYZ in March - communications before the shoot were excellent but I've not got any images back and he has ignored my messages asking for them. XYZ if you are unhappy with the images then please just be honest with me and get in touch rather than leave me hanging around".. about 10 minutes later I had a link in my inbox with all the images, he said he was ignoring my messages because he had been busy and he was going to reply when he had the time *bullshit*. Anyway I picked 1 picture and he edited it and sent it. I think it was on my portfolio for about 3 days. I changed the negative reference to a positive saying "he turned up on time".

I don't chase people now, if anything it kind of upsets me if people promise me images and don't send them - all the while editing everyone elses. Makes me think "was I really that awful that you are just avoiding editing them?". So it gives me a bit of a set back with confidence. I don't generally do much tf now because more often than not it does feel like people are taking the piss. I've done 1 tf shoot this year for that reason (apart from my shoots with Rory). It just seems pointless, its amusing though that you do all this tf to build a portfolio and get next to nothing back then do paid shoots and end up with so many beautiful images in your inbox. Makes you wonder why we even bother sometimes.

Thankfully though most of the people I have tf'd with generally set aside enough time to shoot and edit the images, just some take on too much and once you leave that studio they have someone in there almost straight away and if your images are not as special as the next girls yours are stuck on the back burner regardless of the TF/test terms.

Posted 6 April 2012
Amber6
Model
Amber6
Yeah, I have really bad luck with TF shoots (a big exception for my few in the last month, who have been absolute stars!).

I do always ask and have an agreement when making the arrangements for a collaboration, but sadly many people, no matter how earnest they often appear to be on the day - don't keep to their word

To be honest, I hate, hate, HATE chasing people, and usually realise and give in to it being a lost cause, after about a month, if either total lack of communication or promises are repeatedly broken (ie they keep telling, 'you'll get them next week, I swear...'). Then I just sigh and think '**** 'em' (and am sure to tell others of my experience should they ask for a reference).

Mind you, I did once have one photographer from another site 'drop of the planet' for almost seven months, to suddenly send me a couple images! Which I was exceptionally grateful for as it had been a fairly big deal shoot with wardrobe, mua, hair stylist, etc.

Personally, my tactic I have decided on is 'prevention', and going to try mainly working with people I have previous experience with and know are reliable and make good photos.

Posted 6 April 2012
Daisey_
Model
Daisey_
I left modelling for a year came back did a part tfp. I have politely contacted the photographers via two different means and am still awaiting a reply.

So far three weeks for a cd (not all edited). I am hoping that it is just down to being busy and not having an opportunity, but its put me off coming back into modelling on a more regular basis.

That said the shoot was brilliant.

I would try polite and if that doesn't work be a bit more impatient

Posted 6 April 2012
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
I always tell models they'll have their images within approx. two weeks but mention that it doesn't usually take that long. Generally, they have them within 3-5 days. If I know I'm going to be busy with something for a period of time, I won't organise shoots. Arranging tf* shoots when you don't have the time to edit the pictures just seems a bit silly. I'd hate to leave someone hanging like that. I have had one or two very impatient models asking to see something almost as soon as I've gotten home from the shoot, lol but most of the time, models are quite happy to wait; I've been told my two-week worst scenario is still fair. There's always the chance of course (especially with very inexperienced togs) that they messed up while taking the images and are too ashamed to say, they might hope that ignoring a model will make the problem go away.
Posted 6 April 2012
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
I tell models I aim to complete the first edit in two weeks but unless I have a cluster of shoots I normally do it in less than one. I then post them on my web site and invite the model to pick her favourites and depending upon the number I do the final edit within in another week or so.

Posted 6 April 2012
Edited by Liteangle 6 April 2012
RobGolding
Photographer
RobGolding
Generally I get home, and I start editing, most models have t least a couple of fully edited shots back either same, or next day.

Posted 6 April 2012
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
RobGolding
Generally I get home, and I start editing, most models have t least a couple of fully edited shots back either same, or next day.
Same here. Not providing the images within a reasonable time after a TF shoot is as dishonest as not paying the model after a paid shoot. I put the images up on my blog for the model to download - so it's easy for other models to check and see that they are usually available within a day or two. I've only once been late - when I had to learn more Photoshop before I could get the image right. Sorry if you didn't want photographers commenting - but it helps put the pressure on those who cheat on TF shoots.
Posted 7 April 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
RobGolding

+1
Posted 7 April 2012
Thank you for your input and advice
Posted 8 April 2012
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
I worked with a model who said she never leaves feedback until the photographer has returned her images.
It works as a little encouragement to get them done.
It didn't really effect me as I always get my images returned on time (I always say a fortnight, but it's always been around a week as I set time aside before a shoot so I'm not struggling with deadlines).
I thought it was a great idea though, and more models should do it.

Posted 9 April 2012
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Get it in writing before the shoot - either as part of your release terms or in the email chain where you arranged the shoot. I put in writing both during the set-up disccussions and in my TFP Release and Usage Agreement forms that I undertake to supply 'x' number of fully-retouched, watermarked images at a certain size within a certain time-frame, usually 2-3 per 'look' at 1500 x 1000px @ 150 ppi within 14 days unless otherwise arranged. That way there are no surprises: not for the model who waits in vain for images that never arrive, or for images that are either un-retouched or too small to use effectively - nor for me when asked on the day of the shoot for "all the RAW images on a memory-stick before I leave..." or to sign her release which devolves all copyright and usage rights to the model...both of which have happened...(my response to which was "jog-on dear"...). I appreciate that there is currently no legal requirement to have any paperwork associated with TFP shoots in the UK, but maybe it's time to grow-up and join the rest of the world...
Posted 9 April 2012
RonA
Photographer
RonA
Like Alan (Liteangle) I too often quote up to 2 weeks and make sure everything is clear before the shoot. 

Of course there are times when it is inevitable that providing fully edited images will take longer e.g. group shoots.

As a photographer, I for one, would be very sad if models stopped doing tf* as it is a unique opportunity for both model, photographer and MUA to collaborate and try new things as well as the obvious "starter" for newbies.

Ron
Posted 9 April 2012
I have never had such a problem, even had one photographer sending me images less than 4 hours after we shot together and usually have the images within a week. Although when I have worked with well known and very busy photographers I allow up to three weeks before I receive the images (they are paying me so I have no right to demand images, it is out of their own kindness that they do and usually also receive the images within a week)

Posted 9 April 2012
Edited by jennyfozard 9 April 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join