life drawing models [rates?]

life drawing models [rates?]

64 posts
27 March 2012
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
I will be starting a life drawing group shortly and was wondering what the hourly rate is for life models before I put a casting up

Any help would be apreciated cheeky
Posted 27 March 2012
Amber6
Model
Amber6
When I modelled for classes at the V&A last year, I got 15 p/h. Tends to range from 10p/h-20p/h in my experience. Earlier this year, I did do an 'erotic' art drawing class (the poses more explicit) and was paid slightly more then

Posted 27 March 2012
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
we used to pay £10 ph a good few years ago, not changed that much then

thanks for the reply

Posted 27 March 2012
Serena
Model
Serena
My work on the Wirral hasn't been any more well paid than anywhere else. Williamson Art Gallery iss about £25 for a couple of hours and one at Ness was netting me £65 for 4 hours again to include travel. Although I sometimes do it and visit family at the same time it's poorly paid. A weekend at Burton Manor (including meals) about £75. Shame it's all so poorly paid - it makes it unviable for anyone who isn't on the doorstep. I used to get about £14 an hour at the local college in North Wales but less at the local library. Good lifemodels are now even harder to find and believe me, a poor one is a nightmare for the artists. Consider a 'better rate' than the poor norm and you might come up trumps and get someone really good. Best of luck.

Posted 27 March 2012
£20ph!

I wish...

Where I am I get round around £12.50ph for a class, and I normally ask for £15ph for private sittings.

I get offered £10ph sometimes but refuse to take it. I would consider it if there was travel on top or it was for a full day booking. (Most of the classes I get offered are 2 hours, and as travel normally costs at least £5 and takes 2 hours I'm essentially getting £15 for four hours of time.)

Posted 27 March 2012
Edited by Tansy_Blue 27 March 2012
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
so £15 per hour to draw a nude model and £50 to photograph them - were all in the wrong trade

Posted 28 March 2012
_Maz_
Model
_Maz_
I was always paid £12-12.50 an hour for life drawing classes. Pretty hard going too, keeping still for extended periods of time! (Especially if, like me, you stupidly commit yourself to a pose that's quite strenuous at the best of times, and end up having to hold it for an hour or more at any time. )
Posted 28 March 2012
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
I use to draw at life drawing class so would be interested.

Posted 28 March 2012
Gfun
Photographer
Gfun
Pretty standard expenses only to £10 per hour brings in a wide range of shapes sizes and genders from Gumtree etc

But for more reliable people £12 is the going rate.

Did a casting call on here about 18 months ago which received a good response at £36 (for 3 hours evening work no expenses) for models local to the class.

Yes its less than photography but life classes are generally run on a shoe string/not for profit basis where once you have paid expenses its the model who takes home the most cash.

Posted 28 March 2012
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
Iconic
so £15 per hour to draw a nude model and £50 to photograph them - were all in the wrong trade
Your choice to pay that. I work with many life models more than happy to work for £10 or so an hour for life drawing or artistic nude photography and that is how I have built more than 90% of my portfolio. Obviously if you offer them £50 an hour they will grab it with both hands.
Posted 28 March 2012
Edited by BrazenDivas 28 March 2012
Serena
Model
Serena
BrazenDivas

Your choice to pay that. I work with many life models more than happy to work for £10 or so an hour for life drawing or artistic nude photography and that is how I have built more than 90% of my portfolio. Obviously if you offer them £50 an hour they will grab it with both hands.

Given the fact that lifemodelling is considerably more demanding than photographic modelling I'd say the scale of payment for the two 'genres' is sadly out of kilter.  To sit in a sometimes cold room naked in awkward positions NOT moving at all for 10 , 20 ,30 or 45 minutes is mindblowingly hard to do properly.  Trouble is, it's something that people don't realise until they try it.  They just think it's a case of sitting down and being paid for doing nothing.  In France they send around a 'paper cup' at art classes - not sure what their word for it is - to give the model tips to supplement their pay.  Something that I think Brussels should be forcing on the UK!
Posted 28 March 2012
Serena

Given the fact that lifemodelling is considerably more demanding than photographic modelling I'd say the scale of payment for the two 'genres' is sadly out of kilter.  To sit in a sometimes cold room naked in awkward positions NOT moving at all for 10 , 20 ,30 or 45 minutes is mindblowingly hard to do properly.  Trouble is, it's something that people don't realise until they try it.  They just think it's a case of sitting down and being paid for doing nothing.  In France they send around a 'paper cup' at art classes - not sure what their word for it is - to give the model tips to supplement their pay.  Something that I think Brussels should be forcing on the UK!

I have to disagree, I think both photographic and life modelling are difficult but in different ways.
You say you sit in a cold art class, I have to stand on a windy freezing cold hill or stand in the north sea during winter months - both are not nice but I know I would rather be in the place with no wind or rain on a cold day. I have had to sit still for long periods of times for photographic modelling, especially with some of my studio figure nude work which from time to time photographers set up one light at a time and light according to my pose.

If 1 photographer can pay £30 an hour for a nude model I really can't see how a bunch of artists who no doubt spend a shed load on materials can't afford to put a few more quid in the kitty each. In another way though it seems to be a more steady income and often a more reliable one.
Posted 28 March 2012
Gfun
Photographer
Gfun

A question of supply and demand?

Where as you can get a job as a photographic model and I could not, i and everyone else could get a job as a life model.

Then there is a snobery factor; my Granny bosted to her friends that she sat for a life class but she would never consider a nude photoshoot.
(N.B. I have never asked and don't think she has ever sat for a nude photoshoot; Gran if your reading this keep off my casting calls!!!! ) 

Advertising for £10 an hour for 3 hours on Gumtree for a life model you get about 7 replies from a free add. 

Same advert for nude photographic (male /female any size shape) models gets zero.

Chrissie_Red

I have to disagree, I think both photographic and life modelling are difficult but in different ways.
You say you sit in a cold art class, I have to stand on a windy freezing cold hill or stand in the north sea during winter months - both are not nice but I know I would rather be in the place with no wind or rain on a cold day. I have had to sit still for long periods of times for photographic modelling, especially with some of my studio figure nude work which from time to time photographers set up one light at a time and light according to my pose.

If 1 photographer can pay £30 an hour for a nude model I really can't see how a bunch of artists who no doubt spend a shed load on materials can't afford to put a few more quid in the kitty each. In another way though it seems to be a more steady income and often a more reliable one.
Posted 28 March 2012
Personally I find the majority of my life modelling work harder than the majority of my photographic work, so on that level I should be asking more. But I continue to do it because a photographer might book me once every 4 or 5 months, but a life class will book me once or twice a month, every month. So it's a far more regular income. Also I like it. Ultimately the market sets the price. It does make some form of logical sense though, if you consider the number of completed (apart from post-processing) photographs you can produce in a 2 hour sitting and the number of completed paintings you can produce in a 2 hour sitting.
Posted 28 March 2012
Slightly off topic but how does one get into life modelling? And do you have to do nude?

Posted 29 March 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join